Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweeney's pub Dame Street

Options
  • 05-02-2014 5:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Heard a few of my friends talking about this place but never been.

Is it an actual rock bar,how much are pints?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Friendly crowd, terrible lay-out/shape

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

It's not particularly a Rock bar but it does appear to attract some alternative, bohemian types of patron as well as regular Joe's. Music is slightly more alternative than mainstream on the PA and all sorts of live music upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Seems to want to be a rock bar and does have some good gigs sometimes but definitely more a the standard hipster place much like a load of places around town. O'Reillys much better if you want a bit of that kind of thing.

http://sublounge.ie/club-hell had some class nights out there and drinks are crazy cheap considering how central it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I've never seen any hipsters there and it certainly isn't a hipster place. Alternative/bohemian is about right. Young enough crowd that get really drunk and very annoying a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's hipster Mecca, especially during the week. Lots of **** there but lots of cool people too. Great music but a little pricey IMO.

I love going there on Sunday evenings for the jazz music. Really nice for something a bit different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

chopper6 wrote: »
    Heard a few of my friends talking about this place but never been.

Is it an actual rock bar,how much are pints?

Are you looking for a rock bar? Gypsy rose or bruxelles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Are you looking for a rock bar? Gypsy rose or bruxelles

..and Fibbers,The Foggy, The Pint,Lannigans,Club Hell and Club Poison:pac:

Nah,i've heard a few people had defected from Fibbers there and i was wondering what kind of bar it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

..and The Foggy, The Pint, Lannigans, Club Hell and Club Poison :pac:

Nah,i've heard a few people had defected from Fibbers there and i was wondering what kind of bar it was.

Not to be too pedantic but none of those are Rock bars. Two of them are one night a week events in regular bars. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Passenger wrote: »
    Not to be too pedantic but none of those are Rock bars. Two of them are one night a week events in regular bars. ;)

They play enough rock music to make it worth going to if that's your thing.

Even Bruxelles is just a posers dive that happens to have a basement with a juke box.

Fibbers,the Gypsy and the Pint are all rock bars in the sense that i understand it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Even Bruxelles is just a posers dive that happens to have a basement with a juke box.

Fibbers,the Gypsy and the Pint are all rock bars in the sense that i understand it :cool:

voodoo lounge, dice bar and Bigs in Smithfield would suit also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

liffeylite wrote: »
    voodoo lounge, dice bar and Bigs in Smithfield would suit also :)

Was considering moving to Smithfield had never heard of Bigs before will be sure to check it out cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Never seen any **** there.I'm not a trendy/hipster type either.Great jazz on Sundays,nice bar staff and usually do some sort of deal on short + dash.Was ginger beer and Jameson for €5 last time I was there.Pint of their own (nice) beer is around the €4 mark.They'll give you a sample to try before you commit to the whole pint if you ask!

Smoking area out on Dame Lane is good craic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

jimmii wrote: »
    Was considering moving to Smithfield had never heard of Bigs before will be sure to check it out cheers!

its right on the river, a little further towards Phoenix park than Voodoo.
    Further on towards Hueston station you have Ryans and the Nancy Hands, 2 more excellent pubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I honestly think that some people think that a hipster is someone who wears what are in fashion at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

My phone got robbed out of my shoulder bag in Sweeney's on a Thursday night a couple of weeks ago - when I reported it in Pearse St the cop said phones were always getting robbed in there.
    So watch your belongings carefully in Sweeney's is my advice.

That Thursday night it was full of pissed 18 to 23 year olds. There were good bands on and no cover charge.

The Sunday afternoon jazz is great - a totally different, older crowd, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

reprazant wrote: »
    I honestly think that some people think that a hipster is someone who wears what are in fashion at the moment.

I always think the look like hairy farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Just a word to the wise - Sweeneys and Dame Lane in general are currently being turned into a Victorian street for Penny Dreadful. The Stags Head is closed on Wednesday next until 5PM. Not sure about Sweeneys but it is undergoing some heavy refitting on the smoking area out back. Just in case anybody shows up on a Harley with a rock chick on the back and is greeted by a scary man with a top hat and a long knife (that'll either be me or Jack the Ripper).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Rock bar in Bruxelles has a good DJ on Friday and Saturday nights in fairness.

Advertisement