Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what size slow cooker

Options
  • 05-02-2014 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Ive been reading the slow cooker recipe thread and ive deciced id like one but unsure what size id need.
    Id be cooking for 2 adults and 2 young kids. A quick look on argos has them from 1.5-6 litres and all different prices.
    Any reccommendations on a size or model to go for?
    Thanks a mill.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have a six litre one as I found the 3.5 litre one I had was two small for joints of ham and I cook ham in the slow cooker a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Thanks.
    Any ideas on a brand or model to go for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I too have the bigger one and it's great because you can fit anything you want in it.
    I don't think the make matters much but I personally would stick to known brands like Breville on Morphy Richards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The downside of the bigger ones is obviously taking up more space, and also usually using a bit more power, as the larger surface area usually means more heat loss, (if all else is similar, like insulation). Not much power used anyway though

In argos you can ask them to bring a few out to show you what they look like, you might need to visually see it to get a better idea. I did it before I think you just write the number as though you are buying and tell the checkout person you want to see them. After viewing I think you can decide to buy without queuing again, think they use the other customer service checkout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I have this one from Tesco and it is 3.5 litres, however lately I am finding it a bit too small as I find that now I am batch cooking I am only get 3-5 meals from it, but I would like a bigger one where I could get 6-9 meals from it.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-sc356-slow-cooker-brushed-steel/100-2168.prd

I normally cook for 2-4 adults.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd say to definitely go for a 6 litre one. It'll give you plenty of room for bigger pieces of meat, and lots of slow cooker recipes will keep well in the fridge/freezer so you can make more than you need and have leftovers too.

Ive opted for a breville 6.5l from argos for €36. Hopefully gonna get it tomorrow and use it saturday.
    Now i just need to figure out what im gonna cook, so much choice.
    Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A tip with argos is to check the UK site too, a while ago the irish site used to only have irish reviews, with far more on the UK one.

The UK site has about the same reviews, but also has a video of the unit. There is a woman using it so you can get a better idea of the size, photos without a scale for reference make it hard to predict the size. I also check youtube if I am in doubt.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4237666.htm

Used it today for the first time. I opted for something safe and easy as a first attempt.
    I did chicken thighs with carrot, celery, mushroom, onion, peppers and a small finely chopped chilli. I added in the zest and juice of a lemon and 500mls of chicken stock and served it with creamy mash. I cooked it for just over 7 hours, 3 on high and the rest on low which was probably a bit much but it really was delicious. Plenty of left overs to be had tomorrow.
    Ill be a bit more daring the next time and chance a bit of beef or pork i think.
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

.red. wrote: »
    Used it today for the first time. I opted for something safe and easy as a first attempt.
    I did chicken thighs with carrot, celery, mushroom, onion, peppers and a small finely chopped chilli. I added in the zest and juice of a lemon and 500mls of chicken stock and served it with creamy mash. I cooked it for just over 7 hours, 3 on high and the rest on low which was probably a bit much but it really was delicious. Plenty of left overs to be had tomorrow.
    Ill be a bit more daring the next time and chance a bit of beef or pork i think.
    Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I'm glad you had such a good result. The most important thing to remember with a slow cooker is to use only half the amount of liquid you'd use on the hob or in the oven. I find that if you use more the flavour isn't great. You need very little liquid with a piece of meat - a cupful would be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

anotehr reader of this and I have decided I'm going to get one but I'm wondering is a 6 L slow cooker too big for us? 2 adults 1 child will it be a waste or should I just get the 6.5 L offer in argos?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1837887/Trail/searchtext%3ESLOW+COOKER.htm

If I was doing the pulled pork recipe in the 6.5L slow cooker half the meat probably wouldn't even get covered?

glic83 wrote: »
    anotehr reader of this and I have decided I'm going to get one but I'm wondering is a 6 L slow cooker too big for us? 2 adults 1 child will it be a waste or should I just get the 6.5 L offer in argos?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1837887/Trail/searchtext%3ESLOW+COOKER.htm

If I was doing the pulled pork recipe in the 6.5L slow cooker half the meat probably wouldn't even get covered?

I was looking at that model myself but there wasnt any reviews on argos or anywhere else online so i didnt fancy it. There was also a 6.5l cookworks model for €25 with a lot of good reviews but there was also a lot saying the lid didnt fit properly. Thats fine if you live near an argos store as they are good for returns but im living a 50mile round trip away so it wasnt worth the risk for me.

I'm after taking a chance and the wife is collecting it today, argos is only a few miles away so can always bring it back if its not great

Id imagine its fine but i wasnt taking the chance. It would have cost me the difference in petrol if id have had to return it. If i lived nearer id have gotten that one.
    Enjoy it.

Its not actually as big as I though it would be so think it will be fine size wise, now time to go through the recipes with the wife and decide what our 1st dinner from the slow cooker will be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've never had one, so know very little. Do big name brands mean anything?? Worth it?
    Some of the smaller names seem reasonably priced, can anyone recommend one for around the 30e/40e mark?

Thanks.

Edit - This may not be in the correct forum, it might need to be moved, thanks Mods !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I picked mine up in Argos. You'll need a low and a high setting apart from that I don't think you'll go too far wrong. Mine was 35-40€ and it's grand!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

argos or Tesco any cheap one

What brand though??
    Im always a bit wary of getting stuff i've never heard the make of! When probably they're grand like.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

• Advertisement

Slattsy I've merged your thread with an existing one In Cooking & Recipes because it already contains advice on makes and size.

Slow cookers are simply made so I don't think the brand matters, but I personally would avoid the cheaper Tesco one because it seems to be a cooler temperature than others. It's definitely worth buying the larger size too, if you have the space, so you can fit large joints of pork in for pulled pork.

Cheers, i had a feeling it was in the wrong place :)

Its sole purpose will be for pulled pork sambos!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

argos or Tesco any cheap one

I got a cheap one in Tesco about three years ago for 20euro. 3.5 litre, and its is fine. easily does the job of curry/stew/chili etc for 4-5 people. I think slow cookers are brilliant. But if space allows, I would go for a larger one for larger chickens or joints of meat. Check allrecipes.com for crockpot/slow cooker recipes...very good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Just picked up a 6.5L Morphy Richards from Amazon, im glad I didnt go any smaller now that I see it.

Advertisement