Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Del Rio on his bike now too;

• 05-02-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

http://www.ringsidenews.com/article/16462/alberto-del-rio-leaving-wwe/
    Alberto Del Rio has reportedly been letting it be know that once his contract with WWE is up, he will be leaving the company.

According to PWInsider, Del Rio hasn't been happy with the direction of his character. He was once a main event player on the SmackDown brand as a World Champion, and now he is being fed to Batista.

While the match between the two hasn't been officially announced, Batista vs. Del Rio will likely be added to the upcoming Elimination Chamber pay-per-view event.

Del Rio is 36-years-old and has several years of mileage on him. It’s believed that he’s been very good with his money and shouldn't be in any financial trouble once he departs from the organization.

Anyone care? I won't miss him personally. He never deserved or earned the push he got imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

I'll miss him.Very good in the ring.His character and promos never really lived up to the initial vignettes.WWE having him wrestle Kofi a billion times during his run didn't really help matters either.

Was good craic seeing him knock about in Real Madrid tracksuits,and that time he snapped when Sin Cara had their match on Raw stopped because of a broken thumb was fantastic.

Good luck to him,he'll always be able to make a decent living down in Mexico anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

He'll be missed. He's a reliable hand in ring and a solid upper midcard act. Something WWE seem to have less and less of by the week (either through departures or declines of the likes of Miz and Ziggler).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'd miss him for sure, was a fan from day one and I never gotten bored of watching him go. He may not be the best wrestler there, but he is certainly one of the most consistent. I think the problem is WWE didn't go all out him as much as they should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

dissapointing was great during his initiall run and during his feud with dolph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

There is something about ADR, I think he's a fantastic heel, when he was allowed to show intensity. I'll miss him, but he might just need a break and come back re-energised

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

He's good in the ring, but I found him mind-numbingly boring on the mic. His saving grace there was having Ricardo doing his announcing (for me anyway).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im tempted to say Meh but thats probably only because of how he has been booked this past year, especially once Ricardo was no longer involved with him. Very good in the ring and will have a decent match with virtually anyone but at this stage im actually happy if he deosent appear on Raw because I dont want to see him giving the same promo or having the same match against Mysterio / Sin Cara / other people on that wheel of aggression pic. If they did something else with him I wouldnt mind but if he is being very vocal about leaving then yeah I wouldnt expect that now and the biggest storyline he is likely to get are ones where like now he is fed to a percieved bigger star.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Slightly an overplayed story. No one knows when his contract is up and he has said that this was the plan in the past.

Booker T vowed to retire at 35. He ended up finishing up full time at 44.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's hard to call because I've found him to be one of the most boring acts in the WWE for the last few years, but considering he had the same gimmick, was never given any character development and seemed to have fought the same 5 guys during that time how much of it was his fault.. if anyone else was treated the same I'd probably find them just as boring (cough *kofi* cough)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

I've never liked him or understood why he was pushed so much, in such a short amount of time he is a 4x world champion, money in the bank and royal rumble winner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I've been warming to him more and more over the last few months. His face run was beyond terrible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Face run was horrible. His initial run as heel was really good and the guy can go in the ring. No doubting he's gotten stale though. I probably wouldn't miss him much to be honest which is an indictment of the way he's been booked because he has talent. I'd much sooner see Rey Rey take a hike and never be seen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sadly we will miss the chance to see him and Kofi in the ring then I was so looking forward to seeing that happen in the future. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,604 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CSF wrote: »
    I've been warming to him more and more over the last few months. His face run was beyond terrible though.

His "feud" with Batista is enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I like the bits and pieces I see of him. I despised how dull he was at the start but he grew on me a lot. The guy is given nothing in the way of a character and WWE heels are poorly defined as it is but he's still enjoyable. I think it's more down to his hard work than him actually being a good heel. The fact that he wouldn't be a big loss despite being a Rumble winner and multiple World Title holder says how badly he has been used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wasn't he just given the title for the Mexican tour?

If he leaves and with Mysterio not exactly at the top, who will they push for the Latino market? Hunico?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wasn't he just given the title for the Mexican tour?

If he leaves and with Mysterio not exactly at the top, who will they push for the Latino market? Hunico?
    Batista and new Sin Cara(ie yes, Hunico)

guy's been pretty toxic imo, they gave him way more chances at being near the top than he ever earned. Diminishing returns from day one and very little effort to get any change/improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I find his character incredibly boring but really enjoy his ring work. He displays a really believable aggression in the ring that I think few others match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'll miss him.Very good in the ring.His character and promos never really lived up to the initial vignettes.WWE having him wrestle Kofi a billion times during his run didn't really help matters either.

Was good craic seeing him knock about in Real Madrid tracksuits,and that time he snapped when Sin Cara had their match on Raw stopped because of a broken thumb was fantastic.

Good luck to him,he'll always be able to make a decent living down in Mexico anyways.

He's good in the ring but so are a lot of guys that got nothing like the push he did.

The babyface turn was an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Del Rio's debut as an aristocratic heel was great. His face turn was badly planned "Born in Mexico, Made in America" - how could anyone relate to that?! Stupid idea that he couldn't get any traction with - crowds hated it, he had no idea what to do with it. He's great in the ring and is undeserving of the negativity that he seems to garner. Just wish that he wasn't given the cross armbreaker as a finisher - his matches are seemingly always booked with him winning by submission and then refusing to release the hold. They should have changed it up more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Doesn't he have a young family? Maybe the schedule and travel isn't working for him anymore. He could probably make good money doing one off appearances or mini tours down in Mexico and further afield.

If he does go I'd miss him, he's had some excellent matches over the last 3-4 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Bell to bell, Del Rio is great and will be missed. Much like Sheamus, it's his character/gimmick that is lacking and that's hardly down to him. He hasnt been given much to work with. "Be aggressive" isnt exactly much of a direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Much like Sheamus he is an easily replaceable guy who has always been pushed as an upper-midcard level player, without ever really showing enough to deserve that position. If he had a six-month injury lay-off no one would really notice, and I doubt that his return would create much of a stir either.

It's as much the fault of WWE as it is ADR himself that his character has never developed much beyond the initial gimmick he was given. They don't really add layers to a character anymore. It's "here is a rich Mexican, he is a bad guy, boo him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Much like Sheamus he is an easily replaceable guy who has always been pushed as an upper-midcard level player, without ever really showing enough to deserve that position. If he had a six-month injury lay-off no one would really notice, and I doubt that his return would create much of a stir either.

It's as much the fault of WWE as it is ADR himself that his character has never developed much beyond the initial gimmick he was given. They don't really add layers to a character anymore. It's "here is a rich Mexican, he is a bad guy, boo him."

Replaceable by who? WWE aren't exactly choc full of guys who can justifiably grace the upper card, and guys like Bray Wyatt, Ryback previously and at the moment maybe even Big E Langston are seeing a higher portion of the action than perhaps they're ready for, due to a shortage of guys at the top that belong there. I mean even Big Show as a PPV main events recently said a lot. He belongs nowhere near those sort of matches but unless they wanted to have Bryan v Orton in every PPV until Cena returned and then Cena v Orton in every one after, (which they haven't been far from doing) you have to draft guys into matches they probably don't yet belong in.

Losing Del Rio is losing another guy who you feasibly could see in those matches. Not that easy to replace without drafting people into angles they don't belong in, and their character being permanently damaged as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Bell to bell, Del Rio is great and will be missed. Much like Sheamus, it's his character/gimmick that is lacking and that's hardly down to him. He hasnt been given much to work with. "Be aggressive" isnt exactly much of a direction.

I wouldn't entirely agree.

The wrestler himself has to take some responsibility in evolving his character and his in-ring style and moves surely?

Look at Reigns, he has a truly amazing spear. It'd be easy for him to settle for that but he's looking to add new stuff to his arsenal with the Superman punch, and it's awesome.

Yes i'm sure the wrestlers hands are tied to a degree but a performer should take some responsibility and look to expand and improve his character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I wouldn't entirely agree.

The wrestler himself has to take some responsibility in evolving his character and his in-ring style and moves surely?

Look at Reigns, he has a truly amazing spear. It'd be easy for him to settle for that but he's looking to add new stuff to his arsenal with the Superman punch, and it's awesome.

Yes i'm sure the wrestlers hands are tied to a degree but a performer should take some responsibility and look to expand and improve his character.

Look how rarely wrestlers introduce new moves. WWE pretty much have to give it to them before they are allowed use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Look how rarely wrestlers introduce new moves. WWE pretty much have to give it to them before they are allowed use it.

WWE tie their talents hands with some move sets. I remember Dolph Ziggler started using the super kick and within a few weeks he was told to stop using it. It was a perfect move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think he suffered in losing Ricardo. I always felt Ricardo was a huge part of the Del Rio character. A character like that needs somebody to work off. It's like Dibiase with Virgil; or in a fictional sense, Mr. Burns and Smithers.

I don't mind that they chose to have Ricardo go the babyface route but I think they should have had a replacement in mind. I remember they used to tease the idea of Del Rio having a love interest. I think they teased this route with the Bellas at one point, and Rosa at another point.

I thought it would have been a good idea if they had maybe created some conflict between Ricardo and a love interest of Del Rio. Then when the split came, you could have someone else to act as a foil for the Del Rio character. The whole Ricardo teaming with RVD angle was really lame.

I've liked Del Rio since his debut but he has been very stale the last year or so. You can sense they don't really know what to do with him. Even putting him in some sort of stable with Hunico and Camacho could have given him something interesting but you sense they weren't really bothered.

Basic pattern for Del Rio the past twelve months is get put into a main event match and lose. Then beat Kofi on Raw with the armbar, followed by Sin Cara on Smackdown. Then get put into another main event and lose. Rinse and repeat. I wouldn't be surprised if he's fed up. He's in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

I would piledriver him so hard right now. Thats if he dared stepping into the ring with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Even putting him in some sort of stable with Hunico and Camacho could have given him something interesting but you sense they weren't really bothered

This would have been a great idea, Hunico and Camacho really can go, but they just arent given the chance (well, Hunico is now but that's just because they need a Sin Cara)

Advertisement