Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Delayed write failed?

Options
  • 05-02-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

This has come up a few times on my HP Desktop screen, but when i click on the speech bubble, nothing comes up or displays itself, what does it mean?

Here is what it said:
    Windows was unable to save all the data for the file \Device\HarddiskVolume
    The data has been lost, the error may be erased by a feature of your computer hardware or network error.

Please try to save the file elsewhere

But i don't see anywhere or anything else that is wrong?

I don't really use the desktop much only with an ext hard-disk connected to it for storage, that's' about it!

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The drive is on the blink backup any data not already backed up to external sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

FSL wrote: »
    The drive is on the blink backup any data not already backed up to external sources.

Oh ****! i thought it may have had to do with a new usb flash drive, as i was checking to see if it was set up to remove w/out clicking the safely remove hardware.

How long do you think it may have?
    Any recommendations on one, as i was looking for one for a while, probably a 1TB, as the one i have is a Medion 500GB bought in Aldi a long time ago.

I knew i should have got a spare as i had to back it up a good while ago when i got a similar warning except i couldnt see the files on the Ext harddisk & cost me to back it up, but this warning i still see the files, maybe its a godsend it its telling me i have more time?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

The delayed write failed was more than likely an error with a usb device.

It sounds like the usb key or hard drive may be failing.

Its important not to take chances with losing data so if I were you I would buy an external drive and start backing up (everything).

Start with the desktop itself, when the PC is turned off disconnect the Medion hard drive, turn on the PC and start backing it up to the new drive.

When you have it backed up, connect the external drive and copy your important files to the new drive.

hearny wrote: »
    The delayed write failed was more than likely an error with a usb device.

It sounds like the usb key or hard drive may be failing.

Its important not to take chances with losing data so if I were you I would buy an external drive and start backing up (everything).

Start with the desktop itself, when the PC is turned off disconnect the Medion hard drive, turn on the PC and start backing it up to the new drive.

When you have it backed up, connect the external drive and copy your important files to the new drive.

I don't have that much important on the desktop as its a very old HP Pavilion & only use it to connect up the external drive to d/load stuff.

But i must see what is on the desktop, as i have a HP laptop i use & have most of my personal stuff on it, as trying to load up picasa on the desktop slows it down anyway.

Could it be the new flash drive or external harddisk as the desktop pc accidentally shut down on me, as the longer story/explanation is below :)

But a strange thing happened last week, if you'll bear with me,
    I was trying out the speeds on a new flash drive i was recommended on Amazon.de http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88420385&postcount=23 as it wasnt as fast as i thought compared to the one's i had already!

But i was having trouble with one folder being copied over to another flashdrive, something to do with Error copying, the parameter is incorrect & i notice most of the files & folders were empty in the 32GB drive & it had reverted to its name Removable Disk, so i unplugged it from the hub & plugged it in again & saw the files again, but it was only one folder that was causing it & even copying over the file & leaving the folder, the same thing happened again?

So i thought there was something wrong with a 4 port hub with 1.5m lead connected to back of pc as there's two slots only at back
    (1 = ext hd + usb flash drive/4 port hub) as i dont want to be moving the pc all the time as its sitting below the desktop table, i move it out sideways to disconnect the hub & put in the 32GB, but the pc suddenly shuts down & when rebooted later, the write speeds are 1MB per second to the flash drive instead of the 10MB (20MB mentioned in Amazon)

But only today the speeds are back to 10MB, but then i get that warning today?

Apologies if that was long, but i didnt want to miss any detail if useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Try formatting the USB drive using USBFormat and start again.
    Also, when you want to remove the USB from your PC use the icon down beside the clock to eject it safely.

On older versions of Windows it looks like 5XOo6wl.jpg and on Newer versions of Windows it looks like 5XGlLYI.jpg

That may be the main cause of your problem.

Also could be that your USB hub has seen better days.

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »
    Try formatting the USB drive using USBFormat and start again.
    Also, when you want to remove the USB from your PC use the icon down beside the clock to eject it safely.

On older versions of Windows it looks like 5XOo6wl.jpg and on Newer versions of Windows it looks like 5XGlLYI.jpg

That may be the main cause of your problem.

Also could be that your USB hub has seen better days.

Cheers, i'll try that, i wasn't too sure if it all usb drives was set up by default for quick removal, but i see that they are by checking the Removal Policy on the flash drive, probably for handiness?

Is it common for the external hard disk to slow down & then be back to normal with write speeds, as this isnt the first time it's done this?

I've already posted in BA to get one, as probably good to have a backup.
    & whether it needs a separate post on flash drives not at recommended speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Is it common for the external hard disk to slow down & then be back to normal with write speeds, as this isnt the first time it's done this?

It's performance can degrade over time. For a hard drive, it's good to run some tools on it now and then. E.G. Chkdsk and Defrag .
    Defraggler can do a decent enough job for that.

Zoombits can be decent to keep an eye out on - http://www.zoombits.co.uk/shop/patriot-blitz-64gb-usb-3.0-flash-drive/27123

These guys cover many USB speeds - http://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/

Allyall wrote: »
    It's performance can degrade over time. For a hard drive, it's good to run some tools on it now and then. E.G. Chkdsk and Defrag .
    Defraggler can do a decent enough job for that.

Zoombits can be decent to keep an eye out on - http://www.zoombits.co.uk/shop/patriot-blitz-64gb-usb-3.0-flash-drive/27123

These guys cover many USB speeds - http://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/

I think i have Defraggler as its part of a group afaik?

Thanks for that, I thought the one i bought on amazon.de was quick as well, i'm gonna post a benchmark from it later from an application on this forum.

I came across a usb drive i have here in the list, but what else does it tell you if you click on that name

Btw: what's the recommendation on this external hdd on Amazon

Advertisement