Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nose Cancer ?

• 05-02-2014 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

I just collected my dog from the vet there as his nose was all blocked up for the last while, so they flushed his nose, but we were told that they done an X-ray on his nose and he has cancer of the nose and he doesn't have long to live, and of which was a nasty shock to hear.

Surely there is some way of removing the cancerous growth in his nose ? key-hole surgery ? or laser surgery ?, is there anything that can be done, or are we completely out of luck.

His name is buddy, and is a 10 year old border collie.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That's very bad news zenno, sorry to hear it :(
    I know a couple of other dogs (collies too, funnily enough) who had tumours in their nose, same sort of age group as your dog too. Their owners had the tumours removed by surgery, which probably bought the dogs a bit more time, but in both cases, the owners were sorry they had put their dogs through all of the surgery, which is pretty invasive. In both cases, the tumours came back and the dogs died within a year of the surgery.
    Having said that, I know another dog who had a nasal tumour removed and is still going strong. The dog is very disfigured, it has to be said, but seems happy. So, I'd imagine a lot depends on how advanced it is, or maybe how aggressive it is. Did you ask the vet were there any options available?
    It is an awful shock to get an unexpected diagnosis like that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

DBB wrote: »
    That's very bad news zenno, sorry to hear it :(
    I know a couple of other dogs (collies too, funnily enough) who had tumours in their nose, same sort of age group as your dog too. Their owners had the tumours removed by surgery, which probably bought the dogs a bit more time, but in both cases, the owners were sorry they had put their dogs through all of the surgery, which is pretty invasive. In both cases, the tumours came back and the dogs died within a year of the surgery.
    Having said that, I know another dog who had a nasal tumour removed and is still going strong. The dog is very disfigured, it has to be said, but seems happy. So, I'd imagine a lot depends on how advanced it is, or maybe how aggressive it is. Did you ask the vet were there any options available?
    It is an awful shock to get an unexpected diagnosis like that :(

The vet just said... poor buddy's time is up. So I'd assume he didn't think anything could be done unfortunately. Well I suppose all I can do is let him continue to have a happy life as best I can.

Maybe surgery is out of the question, I just thought there was something long-lasting that could be done. To put my dog through all that surgery just so he lives an extra year, maybe, might not be fair on the dog, I don't know. I'll cool down in a day or two and seek advice, but it's not looking good.

zenno wrote: »
    The vet just said... poor buddy's time is up. So I'd assume he didn't think anything could be done unfortunately. Well I suppose all I can do is let him continue to have a happy life as best I can.

Maybe surgery is out of the question, I just thought there was something long-lasting that could be done. To put my dog through all that surgery just so he lives an extra year, maybe, might not be fair on the dog, I don't know. I'll cool down in a day or two and seek advice, but it's not looking good.

I only quoted two examples that I know personally. These don't necessarily represent the majority though, so it may be worthwhile making sure with your vet that surgery is not an option, if not, why not, and if it is a possibility, what is the prognosis?

DBB wrote: »
    I only quoted two examples that I know personally. These don't necessarily represent the majority though, so it may be worthwhile making sure with your vet that surgery is not an option, if not, why not, and if it is a possibility, what is the prognosis?

I know what you mean, I'm just a bit flustered at the moment. I'll see the vet tomorrow and see can he tell me options. The vet just said his time is up, and after the shock I didn't ask any questions, but I will tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

HORRIBLE to get a fright like that. I know exactly what you mean when you didnt ask the vet any pertinent questions re possible surgery or prognosis etc. Best thing is definately to go to the vet when you have recovered from the shock, and discuss ALL of your options with him. Write down a list before you go see him (if you are like me and get upset :o)

Poor Buddy. You obviously love your dog, so you will do what is the best for Buddy. His quality of life and the effects of the surgery and prognosis should be your main concern now, which it obviously will be.

• Advertisement

Well, I found out the reality of the situation. The little feller is doomed. The cancer has spread to the other nostril in a bad way so there is absolutely nothing that can be done.

The only thing that can be done from here on out, is to let him eat what he wants and let him go where he wants to enjoy his last days. He wasn't the best last evening and this morning. Well, he will go out with a bang, in the sense of chasing squirrels of which he likes... and pampered to death.

He is a rescue dog, Myself and the family have had him just over 3 years and then this parasite comes along to kill a beautiful mind :mad:.

I suppose that's life isn't it, unfortunately.

This is the little feller here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Well, I found out the reality of the situation. The little feller is doomed. The cancer has spread to the other nostril in a bad way so there is absolutely nothing that can be done.

The only thing that can be done from here on out, is to let him eat what he wants and let him go where he wants to enjoy his last days. He wasn't the best last evening and this morning. Well, he will go out with a bang, in the sense of chasing squirrels of which he likes... and pampered to death.

He is a rescue dog, Myself and the family have had him just over 3 years and then this parasite comes along to kill a beautiful mind :mad:.

I suppose that's life isn't it, unfortunately.

This is the little feller here...

Such a lovely looking dog op, sorry to hear about his illness. I lost my own dog of 13 years a few years back, it's very distressing to see them suffer.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Such a lovely looking dog op, sorry to hear about his illness. I lost my own dog of 13 years a few years back, it's very distressing to see them suffer.

It's most definitely a tough one.

Thanks for your kind comment. It's a strange scenario when you are sitting in a place and looking the dog in the eye but there is nothing/zero you can do. It really pisses me off that an infection/cancer can just slowly kill and destroy so fast, including humans. Nasty indeed, frightening also.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

Hi OP, I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy. Just this week our cat was put to sleep due to the very same thing, so I know exactly how you feel. It is heartbreaking to watch your pet go downhill... As you said the best thing you can do for him is let him enjoy the rest of his life as much as he can and then let him go, when you feel the time is right. So sorry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor Buddy. He had 3 happy years with you when you recscued him. The video of him is lovely - he is very handsome.
    We had our very elderly collie PTS a few months ago. Can I just suggest this to you - You need to get your head around the idea of having him PTS so that when the terrible day is approaching, you will know and can get organised. I held on to our dog too long, knew it was getting bad fast, but couldnt bear to let him go - the last day was terrible, and I will never forgive myself for letting him drag on and suffer. I have promised myself that our other elderly dog will go to the vet when he starts to deteriorate and not wait, no matter how hard it is.

I hope Buddy has some very happy time left to enjoy being spoiled by you all.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the nice replies, very much appreciated.

What we will do when he is getting bad, is to call out the vet to the home to put him to sleep, when the time comes. There is no way I will even consider bringing him to the vet to be put to sleep. It will be obviously less stressful for him to have it done at home in good company.

He will then be buried in the garden of which he loves.

Anyway, for the time being, he's too busy now playing so will keep a close eye on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Thanks for the nice replies, very much appreciated.

What we will do when he is getting bad, is to call out the vet to the home to put him to sleep, when the time comes.

Please do not let him deteriorate further and further until he is visibly "bad" for the sake of an extra few weeks/months.
    My mother had a 17 year old cat with mouth cancer (similar prognosis to your doggy) and my mother insisted on keeping the cat alive til she was basically dying in front of her. Left to suffer and suffer because my mother was too selfish to let her go and greedy for "that bit more time". Unfortunately in these cases you've got to look back at the happy years you had rather than keep trying to get that extra bit of time.

If you leave an animal til the point they're bad, you've left them too long. Quality of life over quantity.

Best wishes- it's a difficult time :(

Magenta wrote: »
    Please do not let him deteriorate further and further until he is visibly "bad" for the sake of an extra few weeks/months.
    My mother had a 17 year old cat with mouth cancer (similar prognosis to your doggy) and my mother insisted on keeping the cat alive til she was basically dying in front of her. Left to suffer and suffer because my mother was too selfish to let her go and greedy for "that bit more time". Unfortunately in these cases you've got to look back at the happy years you had rather than keep trying to get that extra bit of time.

If you leave an animal til the point they're bad, you've left them too long. Quality of life over quantity.

Best wishes- it's a difficult time :(

Don't get me wrong, The last thing I would do is to see him in pain. I understand this scenario extremely well with regards to my last dog zenno, of which died from old age.

What I mean is... I will keep a close eye on him, as at the moment he is fit and running well in the valley. I most definitely would not have him in pain just to suit my fear of loss regarding him. That is one thing I would never do.

I'll monitor him closely, and if I see him in pain and he doesn't want to move any-more, I'll do the right thing, and put him to sleep. I'm not one of those people that will keep him alive just to soothe my pain. I understand dogs extremely well, I was brought up with them from when i was a baby, they were, and still are a major part in my life.

He'll be fine. I'll make sure of that. Some people think of the loss of your dog as nothing much, but when you spend time with these little intelligent fellers, only then can you appreciate their loyalty and intelligence. Amazing creatures indeed without question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Don't get me wrong, The last thing I would do is to see him in pain. I understand this scenario extremely well with regards to my last dog zenno, of which died from old age.

What I mean is... I will keep a close eye on him, as at the moment he is fit and running well in the valley. I most definitely would not have him in pain just to suit my fear of loss regarding him. That is one thing I would never do.

I'll monitor him closely, and if I see him in pain and he doesn't want to move any-more, I'll do the right thing, and put him to sleep. I'm not one of those people that will keep him alive just to soothe my pain. I understand dogs extremely well, I was brought up with them from when i was a baby, they were, and still are a major part in my life.

He'll be fine. I'll make sure of that. Some people think of the loss of your dog as nothing much, but when you spend time with these little intelligent fellers, only then can you appreciate their loyalty and intelligence. Amazing creatures indeed without question.

Your dog is lucky to have such a loving owner. It's such an awful decision to have to make. Nobody should ever have to make these decisions for their family members :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Well, Buddy was put to sleep sunday last. He was bleeding from his nose very badly from the cancer/tumour, and we had to have him put to sleep without question, he was bad this day. Still trying to get over it but not easy at all.

He was given a good life to full fulfilment as he was a rescue dog from <snip>, but that cancer was getting bad and it was time to do the right thing.

The most placid and friendliest dog I ever had. :(

makesmesmile.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know the heartbreak all too well. Collies are amazing dogs. Take care xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Gorgeous dog!!

So sorry for your loss XX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I'm so sorry, he looked like a beautiful boy. RIP Buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

In the not too distant future, I will take into my home another rescue dog, and give it as much love and respect as buddy got. I'd take them all if I could, but it will never happen obviously, but giving a rescue dog a comfortable home in a stress-free environment is worth the enjoyment of their company as always. They can sure make you laugh a lot, but also can make you cry a lot when their time comes.

Amazing creatures indeed, and must be respected for the happiness they provide to a human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Goodbye Buddy. Good dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

I'm sorry for your loss, unfortunately I've been there and know how lost and upset you are but remember the love you were able to give him in his last few years xx

Ah no, I'm so sorry to hear about poor Buddy, but it looks like he got a longer-than-expected last few months living the good life, and I hope that helps to comfort you to some degree.
    He sounds like he was a great dog indeed :-)

Advertisement