Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaky Netflix!

Options
  • 05-02-2014 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Netflix announced they were upping their prices for new customers to €7.99 (from 6.99) but that existing customers had a price freeze until the end of this year (or next I think).

My membership ran out the other day and I only got around to paying it again yesterday. They wouldn't let me pay via paypal or debit card on the browser so was advised by their customer care team online to phone the customer care phone line. I did just that and they took payment via Paypal but they cancelled my old membership and started a new one for €7.99 per month.

Is it me, or is that a sneaky way of getting people onto the higher tariff? Would I have any come back on this? It was advised to me last night that I could cancel and re-start but I told them I wouldn't do that because I'd be charged the higher price, I know it's only 1 euro though :\

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Once your membership ran out you were no longer an existing customer regardless of what customer care told you. That would be my take on it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

There was nothing sneaky about it. Your subscription ran out so you were no longer an existing member.

Maybe as a good will gesture Netflix may have/will let you reactivate your 6.99 sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I interpreted their offer to mean that current customers, who are paying every month, will be held at the old price. New subscriptions will attract the newer price. For me, if your existing sub has expired, then you're starting a new one.

Don't think it's sneaky TBH. But there's no harm in trying to appeal to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

January wrote: »
    Netflix announced they were upping their prices for new customers to €7.99 (from 6.99) but that existing customers had a price freeze until the end of this year (or next I think).

My membership ran out the other day and I only got around to paying it again yesterday. They wouldn't let me pay via paypal or debit card on the browser so was advised by their customer care team online to phone the customer care phone line. I did just that and they took payment via Paypal but they cancelled my old membership and started a new one for €7.99 per month.

Is it me, or is that a sneaky way of getting people onto the higher tariff? Would I have any come back on this? It was advised to me last night that I could cancel and re-start but I told them I wouldn't do that because I'd be charged the higher price, I know it's only 1 euro though :\

When you re-subbed, was your account new or did you see all the stuff that you watched previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Doubt they realised what they did - if you get in touch with them again they will probably fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not sneaky, just bad luck for you.
    Worth asking nicely can you be put back onto the old sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

RangeR wrote: »
    When you re-subbed, was your account new or did you see all the stuff that you watched previously?

Saw the stuff I watched previously. Don't worry, it's sorted they put me back on the old sub without much fuss.

Advertisement