Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of starting off...

Options
  • 05-02-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there, long time boardsie searcher and lurker that has registered because I can't find any answer to this one!

I'm a 24 year old guy and I am looking at taking up horse riding. I currently play gaelic football (although not very well) and I am looking at getting another sport. I love the outdoors and grew up on a farm so being out among animals I think it is something I need while I live in a town away from home/the farm now.

I was wondering though, is horse riding a bit of a cost-prohibitive sport to take up? It seems like the gear is pretty damn expensive (although I won't be owning a horse for many years yet and I doubt I will be competing) and the lessons as well as insurance aren't cheap either...

So, have I got it all wrong? Can I become a proficient rider for €50 a week? Also, is there a good social scene for a young, single, straight guy?

Just to clarify, I am a complete beginner and although I had to work with horses for a couple months a few years ago, I am still a complete beginner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi there, long time boardsie searcher and lurker that has registered because I can't find any answer to this one!

I'm a 24 year old guy and I am looking at taking up horse riding. I currently play gaelic football (although not very well) and I am looking at getting another sport. I love the outdoors and grew up on a farm so being out among animals I think it is something I need while I live in a town away from home/the farm now.

I was wondering though, is horse riding a bit of a cost-prohibitive sport to take up? It seems like the gear is pretty damn expensive (although I won't be owning a horse for many years yet and I doubt I will be competing) and the lessons as well as insurance aren't cheap either...

So, have I got it all wrong? Can I become a proficient rider for €50 a week? Also, is there a good social scene for a young, single, straight guy?

Just to clarify, I am a complete beginner and although I had to work with horses for a couple months a few years ago, I am still a complete beginner.

If you initially are thinkin of going to lessons and getting the basics ?
    You could be going to group lessons once a week for years but get to a stage where you need to push yourself more. This may involve private lessons.
    However if you want to try it for the social scene you could after you get tbe basics and join a riding club.

Some riding clubs are "cliquey" and can be a closed shop others are very welcoming and open to new members.

However in regards to buying your equipment a pair of jodhpurs/breeches a riding hat and a back protector and boots is all you need to start off or once you get goin you could purchse once you know you are going to stick at it. 300 euro might cover the costs of those.

If you want to go horse riding to get a new social scene you may need to tell us your location we could advise on best places or clubs etc !

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Most people starting out wouldn't have insurance, but its a good idea if you get into it, you can get rider only insurance from the BHS for about €40 for the year. You'll get extras like a magazine subscription which would have some good articles in it too.

For the first one or two lessons you can borrow equipment like a hat and depending where you go boots or a body protector.

Lesson prices depends on area, €20 here in the Midlands, but expect to pay up to €50 in Dublin.

You can get gear at a reasonable enough price aswell, up to standard hats as cheap as €30 here...http://www.horze.eu/Helmets/helmets,default,sc.html#cgid=helmets&srule=price-low-to-high&

Shorts boots and chaps will work out cheaper then long boots (and I personally prefer them for everyday riding)
    You'll probably expect to pay between €50-70

Don't be tempted to buy cheap rubber boots, as they are cumbersome and will just hinder your leg position starting off.

The other thing you might need is good supportive underwear, cycling shorts or similar.

I personally wouldn't bother with a body protector, some establishments will require that you wear them, but in this case, they will have ones for you to borrow. And when you are sure you are going to stick with it, or move to a higher level of riding where you might actually need one, you can buy a good one.

You could always check ebay for secondhand breeches/boots etc
    Don't buy a second hand hat.

Its a female dominated sport in most places, it seems to be that any guys who are into horses come from horse backgrounds.

When you get to owning a horse, its a whole different ballgame, you either need a lot of money, or its a fulltime job. Owning a horse is a lifestyle choice!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I started at 23/24 now 28, got lessons for 6 months or so and then begged, borrowed and stole rides as I could and my lovely OH helped me endlessly. About 2.5 years ago I loaned a horse for about 5 months, then loaned another and about him about 18 months ago.

Progress is frustrating at times but I think I'm doing well

3b582cb4-885e-4556-9704-0d9b29453531_zps399155e3.jpg

62db9551-39bf-41a6-8c86-7edb4f1d1541_zps9047b13a.jpg

3262bfd3-be94-42fc-9f68-1cc0bb5bb72f_zps2a9697d1.jpg

As for gear, I bought stuff as cheaply as possible to get going and then as it wears out, replacing it with better stuff. Saddle, back protector and hats, I won't skimp on but the rest I've picked up along the way.

Saxon do synthetic boots that I find good for 25 squids, TRI have ok chaps for 20ish, champion hat for ~100 and that was my every day gear sorted. I've trickled in 2 other hats, BP, decent boots and gaitors, comp gear(Pikuer jacket new for e70, score :P ), saddle, bridles, bits, grooming gear, xc gear, boots for horse etc etc etc and haven't really noticed the spend but when I sit down and look at the amount I have and the total cost its a bit scarey!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hi OP,
    You can pick up gear fairly cheap and when you're starting off, cheap is better as horse riding isn't for everyone and, being honest, most people don't stick with it.
    When you do get going properly with it, with regard boots in particular, the cost is usually worth it. I didn't buy boots til I was certain I was keeping it up. They were short boots, leather with a wooden heel and they lasted 5 years or so and that was with near daily wear. I had a pair of rubber boots too, they're like wellies and didn't particularly like them. Last July, I got a very cheap pair of long boots (alas, my first pair were bought for me and I'm a broke student) and they're already falling apart, with less frequent wear.
    Oh and when I say start cheap, if you're buying your own helmet, don't skimp out on it. That thing will save your life at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

sup_dude wrote: »
    Hi OP,
    You can pick up gear fairly cheap and when you're starting off, cheap is better as horse riding isn't for everyone and, being honest, most people don't stick with it.
    When you do get going properly with it, with regard boots in particular, the cost is usually worth it. I didn't buy boots til I was certain I was keeping it up. They were short boots, leather with a wooden heel and they lasted 5 years or so and that was with near daily wear. I had a pair of rubber boots too, they're like wellies and didn't particularly like them. Last July, I got a very cheap pair of long boots (alas, my first pair were bought for me and I'm a broke student) and they're already falling apart, with less frequent wear.
    Oh and when I say start cheap, if you're buying your own helmet, don't skimp out on it. That thing will save your life at some stage.

OP the last sentence is the truest statement you will ever hear do not buy a cheap helmet. I had a bad accident just over a year ago, got a slight head injury but if i didnt have a good helmet on i wouldnt be hear today. Since then i also wear the body protector. The boots gloves etc you can pick up quiet cheaply Aldi even have them on offer from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Price is no assurance of quality though.

You can buy hats from €200-500 which are basic European standard (similar to the hats I linked to above) Standard EN1384 and certified with European compliance testing, the same is true for US makes.

You can also buy helmets with the recommended British Kitemark for as cheap as €30/40

Similarly, even a kitemarked hat with a fixed peak won't stand you in good stead for XC, you would be better off with a cheap skull that is simply up to european standard.

Starting out on a budget, I'd rather buy a cheap hat (with the minimum standard) that fits well, than wear a possibly ill-fitting or previously damaged hat borrowed from the riding school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Oh yeah, I meant like if someone offers their old helmet or there's a substandard helmet for a few euro lying around or a bike helmet and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

My b/f took up horse riding about 2 years ago at the grand old age of 29 :P having never done anything more than had a sit up on my horse.

He initially got private lessons for about €38/half hour and did them for 6 months or so to get a handle on the basics. Now he part leases a horse in my yard and gets lessons with the yard manager for €35/hour. Sometimes he'll get a couple of lessons close together then he'll go a few weeks without one so the cost is spread out.

Buy your hat from new and get it properly fitted. IMO a skull cap is best for everyday riding. I got mine in the Holmestead sale for about €40. A pair of Aigle long rubber boots are around the €40 mark too. This is all you need at the very beginning. Most places will lend you a back protector.

You can pick up other bits and pieces second hand on the likes on adverts, done deal etc.

My b/f has really gotten into it now. He has made some good friends around the yard and beyond. There is a great social scene but like some have already said part of it can be a bit cliquey.

Advertisement