Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Greystones

Options
  • 05-02-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, We are moving to redford park and just wondering how long walk into village is? And to the dart? I have heard there are shortcuts, etc... Also, realistically looking to hear about commute into Dublin...would be going in as far as Stillorgan. If driving, if I left around 745 would I get in for 9? Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Lucy12 wrote: »
    Hi all, We are moving to redford park and just wondering how long walk into village is? And to the dart? I have heard there are shortcuts, etc... Also, realistically looking to hear about commute into Dublin...would be going in as far as Stillorgan. If driving, if I left around 745 would I get in for 9? Thanks for any help :)

Walk to village & Dart will take you 15/20 minutes and there is a shortcut through Rathdown Park onto Rathdown road. Starting out at 7.45 am you will be in heavy traffic from Greystones all the way to Stillorgan. Joining the N11 at Kilcrony can be really slow because of heavy traffic coming from the Wicklow areas. I would advise a 7.30 start for your journey to get in by 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Whereas if you leave at 7 you will be all the way into D1 for about 7.45/7.50. You are hitting extremely busy roads if you leave when you are thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

A friend of mine used to take the 84x by Dublin Bus when she was commuting from Charlesland. The bus goes past the entrance to Redford park. She found it better than the Dart because it cut out the 20/25 mins to get to the Dart and dropped her really close to work. It's also really quick once it gets out on to the N11 because of the QBC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I leave at 7am each day and i reach Ballsbridge around 7.50am maybe earlier if its not a Monday.

If i leave at 7.10am - 7.20am I wont see Ballsbridge until after 8.30am..

If i leave from 7.30am onwards... forget it.. would be lucky to get in to work by 9.30am

Personally i hate the dart, take nearly 45 to reach the Sandymount stop, full os school kids shouting and roaring and generally being a pain, so id rather drive and leave at 7am with some peace and quiet

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

I second the poster that mentioned the bus. We live in redford park and my wife gets the bus all the way in to the quays. Takes her approx 1 hour door to door. The only thing is that the buses aren't exactly on time (even for the relative start of the route) so you need to be a bit early at the bus stop. Like others have said, once you get to the N11 you fly it in.

I frequently drive to the grand canal area and it really depends on when you are driving. Without schools it can be as little as 35/40 mins, if you leave at 7 it should be 45, if you leave at 715 to 730 it should be 60 min and if you leave after 730, it should be no later than 90 mins. Having said that, the main bottlenecks are the kilcroney exit, stillorgan, and donnybrook, the last two you are missing out. Traffic was light(ish) today but I left at 7:30 and was at stillorgan at 8. Once you get to brewery road you can take the back roads to get to Stillorgan.

I also take the dart and park at the park and ride and the difference is about 10 mins compared to walking to the dart station (which is a good 20 mins). Imho, the dart isn't as bad as people make out, you always get a seat (I get the 730 which may not be as busy at the 8) and while the kids are boisterous, if you are listening to music, podcasts, or radio, like I do, its easy to tune them out. I am a five minute walk from the GCD station and the 730 gets me at my desk between 825 and 830. The dart may not be convenient for Stillorgan though.

The luas is another option if you are going to Stillorgan and I don't have any experience of that. But you would still hit the Kilcroney bottleneck and have to pay for parking at Cherrywood so it may not be worth your while. Others can be more helpful on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I get the Dart regularly and the school kids are absolutely no problem. I don't even need to have music playing at any sort of loud volume to drown them out. I have never failed to get a seat on a Dart from Greystones regardless of the time in the morning - 7, 7.30, 8, 8.30 or 9. You might struggle to get one if you jump on a train that has come from further south though.

Personally, I can't stand the bus and it is an absolute last resort for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lucy12

This has been helpful, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭antoniolgj

cocker5 wrote: »
    Personally i hate the dart, take nearly 45 to reach the Sandymount stop, full os school kids shouting and roaring and generally being a pain, so id rather drive and leave at 7am with some peace and quiet

:P

I'll start going from Delgany Woods to Blackrock from 1st of April and wonder how long would take to get there by car, I was planning to leave around 7am...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

antoniolgj wrote: »
    I'll start going from Delgany Woods to Blackrock from 1st of April and wonder how long would take to get there by car, I was planning to leave around 7am...

I'd usually hit blackrock by 7.30am... U should turn down newtownpark avenue and you'll be grand.. This is where the n11 back up starts... And all the way until
    Donneybrook..

Heading to blackrock 30 mins should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I don't drive in to town too often but isn't the big deal the fact that you can drive in most of the bus lanes pre 7am.

The few times I've driven at that time I've noticed that the early morning motorists don't hang about. Everyone is on a mission at that time

But watch for the speed camera van at the blake's restaurant turn off. Stillorgan in other words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Wayne_M

antoniolgj wrote: »

I leave Charlesland every say at 0750, and hit Blackrock within the hour. Not the worst commute in the world tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

Lucy12 wrote: »

you'd be better off to try and get any of the 84X 's which go past redford park between 7am and 9am which usually takes roughly about half . I live in Windgates just up the road from redford par and the walk from redford park to Greystones main street (and the dart) is roughly about 10 to 15 minutes of a walk.

The bus stop is at the top of the estate just next to the Esso grarage at Blacklion and is easily accessible.

Advertisement