Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favourite Wrestlemania of all time?

• 05-02-2014 10:26pm
    Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭

For nostalgia Im going to Say Wrestlemania VI, Ultimate Warrior winning was the mark out moment to top all.

Here's the thoughts of a website Ive respected over the years, wrestlecrap.com. They are in order of greatness, starting with the weakest and building to the best.

See if you agree and then choose your favourite in the poll!

Original article is here

WrestleMania XXVII (2011)

Whoever booked the backstage segments and the Cole/Lawler debacle has done the unthinkable: they have made Vince Russo look like Francis Ford Coppola.

A great Taker/HHH war, and tremendous battles with Edge/Del Rio, Rey/Cody, and Punk/Orton can’t hold up a lousy Miz/Cena main event, Cole/Lawler for fifteen minutes, the interminable Rock ‘yuk-yuks’, and Sheamus/Bryan getting bumped.

WrestleMania (1985)

If WWE put on this show in 2012, they’d be crucified. But for 1985, when wrestling was a low-expectation circus of the stars, campiness, and showmanship, it exceeded expectations.

The main event of Hogan and Mr. T vs. Piper and Orndorff is at least watchable, and a warm gift to the wrestling fan’s soul. Andre slamming Studd, plus the infusion of celebrities and rock music, make it a landmark event.

WrestleMania XIII (1997)

13.jpg

Heavily maligned as a one-match-show, thanks to Hart and Austin putting on possibly the greatest match of all time, skeptics forget that the Chicago Street Fight and the Tag Title match were both quite good as well. Yeah, Taker/Sid sucked, as did the Rock/Sultan IC title match, but this is far from the worst WrestleMania ever. Sure, it isn’t the best either, but it’s pretty watchable. Until the main event, anyway.

WrestleMania V (1989)

There’s some gems in here, namely the Hogan-Savage all time classic, a forgotten Warrior-Rude classic, and some good matches in Blazer-Perfect and Strike Force-Busters. The problem is, however, that the show drags worse than Dirk Diggler with scoliosis, and the bored crowd (lotta non-fans) kills much of the energy that could have been harnessed. Then again, it isn’t their fault they had to sit through such a long event.

WrestleMania XXV (2009)

25.jpg

Another alleged “one match show”, due to the heroics of Undertaker and Michaels. The World Title matches catch a lot of flak, but the Cena/Edge/Show one is actually pretty fun, even if it had to contend with a dead crowd. MITB and the Hardyz fight were both excellent as well. But Orton/HHH, the Divas battle royal, and Snuka and Piper’s efforts were so awful, and people tend to remember those.

WrestleMania XXIV (2008)

This seemed far better at the time. Taker/Edge and MITB were both tremendous, living up to their expectations, though I think Flair/Shawn is wildly overrated, due to the rose-colored glasses of Naitch fans. Low points like Batista/Umaga, the skank brawl with Snoop Dogg, and Mayweather embarrassing Show sink this one a bit. And who can forget the fans hit by Undertaker’s pyro? That’s a bad omen.

WrestleMania 2000 (2000)

WWE could do no wrong in 2000, but they kinda did here. The triple ladder match and the Eurocontinental two fall match? No problems there. But having HHH beat Rock in the end (allegedly to make fans tune in the next night, when Raw was unopposed due to a WCW relaunch) was a mistake. The first three matches of the show couldn’t open a WCW 2000 event, let alone a WWE 2000 one.

WrestleMania XII (1996)

12.jpg

On the one hand, it’s much like the previous year, when it “didn’t feel like WrestleMania”, due to the darkened arena, dead crowd, and lack of general WWE pomp. On the other hand, there’s nothing terrible on this show. Michaels-Bret is an acquired taste classic, Diesel-Taker and Austin-Vega are both forgotten greats, and Warrior killing HHH is always good for a laugh. Most underrated Mania ever, I think.

WrestleMania XXVIII (2012)

28.jpg

At first, I’d maligned this show, simply because of the way the Bryan-Sheamus opener polluted and skewed my viewpoint. Second and third viewings have been far kinder, as Jericho-Punk was a heated battle, as was Taker-HHH (though not a 5 star classic as some claim). Rock-Cena was a great throwback to epic showdowns of the past like Hogan-Warrior, and the like. And plus, Maria Menounos did a stinkface. Need I say more?

WrestleMania VII (1991)

7.jpg

If V was too long, then VII was long, but at least lively. The Warrior-Savage match, and aftermath, are required viewing for anyone who dares claim to be a wrestling know-it-all. Rockers-Faces of Fear, Harts-Nastys, Perfect-Bossman, and even Hogan-Slaughter are exciting, fun matches that make up the bulk of the card. Put it this way: WrestleMania VII was more good than bad, and that’s progress.

WrestleMania X8 (2002)

18.jpg

A step down from the previous year, WrestleMania X8 is detrimented by the lack of blowaway mat classics, but makes up for that deficiency with a nice stadium atmosphere, and a star-studded line-up. The Hogan-Rock match was jaw-droppingly surreal, and the Taker-Flair street fight is such an intense, hate-filled brawl. There’s no face-palming low points on this show; just solid from start to finish.

WrestleMania VI (1990)

6.jpg

What is it about SkyDome that can make an average show into a great show? The 1990 cast of characters was deep, providing such moments as Andre’s last WWE match, the culmination of the Roberts-Dibiase feud, and the greatest main event ever to that point, as Hogan and Warrior showed the world how you’re supposed to do a face-face battle. Perhaps Hogan’s finest effort ever in a big match.

WrestleMania XXVI (2010)

26.jpg

Maybe it’s just me, but this seemed like one of the few recent WrestleManias that felt like a “classic” WrestleMania. There were 10 matches, featuring a very deep roster, and many of the big matches delivered. Taker-Shawn is an all-time classic, and the two World Title matches were stellar (even if the crowd was dead for Edge-Jericho). It’s also the last show Shawn and Bret wrestled on together, so it’s historic.

WrestleMania VIII (1992)

A better second half of the show would propel this into the pantheon of classics. As it is, the Flair-Savage bloodbath for the World Title, and the Hart-Piper can-you-top-this match for the IC Title, make it a show with good aging power. The Hogan-Sid BS in the finale was unnecessary, though Warrior’s return redeemed it. Kind of a sad show, though, as it was the end of the “first steroid era” in wrestling, so to speak.

WrestleMania XXII (2006)

Call it the most surreal WrestleMania of all time. Between Vince McMahon getting his brains beat in, Mickie James helping males hit a second puberty, and HHH and Cena sporting the most laughable entrance attires ever, the show is never dull. Classics with HHH-Cena, Edge-Foley, MITB, James-Trish, and even Vince-Shawn (perversely) make this a great event.

Plus it has Rey’s first World Title victory.

WrestleMania XXIII (2007)

One of the all-time money champs in terms of PPV buys, this show pretty much delivered outside of the disappointing Lashley-Umaga suckfest.

Michaels-Cena is in the upper level of Mania main events, MITB delivered as would be expected, and Batista-Undertaker was a startlingly-exciting brawl. That’s like three **** matches right there. Plus, Slick made a cameo appearance, so that’s just icing on the cake.

WrestleMania XIX (2003)

19.jpg

The stories were pretty lousy at this point, as Raw was tail-spinning creatively from a year earlier. But the roster delivered one of the best in-ring WrestleManias ever. Angle-Lesnar, Jericho-Michaels, and Austin-Rock (in Austin’s curtain call) put up match-of-the-year level performances. Vince-Hogan, HHH-Booker (outside of the booking), Hardy-Rey, and the Tag 3 Way were all better than solid as well.

WrestleMania XIV (1998)

14.jpg

So maybe it wasn’t the greatest ‘wrestling’ show of all time, but WrestleMania XIV delivered classic moments, one after another, on a flagship event, one that defined the heralded “Attitude” era. Austin won his first World Title, Shawn’s era ended for the time being, Taker-Kane warred, Sable had her coming out, and Triple H, Rock, and Foley, three Attitude cornerstones, were victorious. It was at least historic.

WrestleMania XXI (2005)

21.jpg

“WrestleMania Goes Hollywood” fit the part of a huge entertainment gala, as the show was preceded by entertaining parodies of classic films, starring the roster. Cena and Batista were the big winners, each winning their first World Titles, even if the matches weren’t great. Angle-Shawn and the first MITB tore the house down, and Hogan’s assault of Muhammad Hassan lit the crowd on fire something wild.

WrestleMania X (1994)

10.jpg

The first ever WrestleMania without Hogan shined bright in spots, not only with Bret Hart getting back the WWE Championship he should never have lost, but two classics were gifted upon the fans: the Bret-Owen scientific classic (best pure wrestling match in Mania history) and the Razor-Shawn ladder match that set the bar for an era of gimmicked creativity. WWE needed a slam dunk here, and they sure got one.

WrestleMania XX (2004)

20.jpg

At five hours, it was going to be daunting task keeping the MSG crowd, and the home viewer, alive and alert. Benoit and Guerrero’s celebration at the end, both unlikely World Champions, is a tearjerker tainted only by later events.

Austin giving Lesnar and Goldberg the heave ho, as well as Rock and Foley tearing the house down against Evolution, plus Undertaker’s grand return, made it a night of a million memories.

WrestleMania III (1987)

3.jpg

What is there to say? Savage-Steamboat was the greatest match of the 1980′s, one that set a template for future main events and influenced one-day main eventers. Plus Hulk-Andre was THE biggest main event ever; it’s not even close. The slam heard round the world remains an indelible memory. Piper’s first farewell also stands out, as does the 93,000 fans in Pontiac. Overall, THIS was the perfect ‘Mania template.

WrestleMania X7 (2001)

171.jpg

Hailed by many as the greatest wrestling event of all time, not just WrestleMania, the night came on the heels of the end of the Monday Night Wars, and boasted no less than four all time classics: Austin-Rock, TLC, HHH-Undertaker, and Angle-Benoit. There has never been an event that gave the fans everything the company had, and then some, like WrestleMania X7, making it hard to remove as the #1 choice.

And Wrestlemania 29

From Wiki

The show featured three main events. The first was CM Punk versus The Undertaker, concluding a storyline revolving around Paul Bearer's death and The Undertaker's 20–0 WrestleMania winning streak. The penultimate match was Triple H versus Brock Lesnar in a No Holds Barred match; if Triple H lost, he would have to retire.

The promotional final match was John Cena challenging WWE Champion The Rock, also seeking to avenge his loss to The Rock at WrestleMania XXVIII.

It drew 80,676 fans, which became the second highest attended event in the history of WWE after WrestleMania III.

What is the greatest Wrestlemania of all time? 91 votes

Wrestlemania VI (1990)
    0% 0 votes
    WrestleMania X7 (2001)
    6% 6 votes
    WrestleMania III (1987)
    50% 46 votes
    WrestleMania XX (2004)
    4% 4 votes
    WrestleMania X (1994)
    8% 8 votes
    WrestleMania XXI (2005)
    5% 5 votes
    WrestleMania XIV (1998)
    2% 2 votes
    WrestleMania XIX (2003)
    2% 2 votes
    WrestleMania XXIII (2007)
    6% 6 votes
    WrestleMania XXII (2006)
    0% 0 votes
    WrestleMania VIII (1992)
    0% 0 votes
    WrestleMania XXVI (2010)
    1% 1 vote
    WrestleMania X8 (2002)
    1% 1 vote
    WrestleMania VII (1991)
    0% 0 votes
    WrestleMania XXVIII (2012)
    0% 0 votes
    WrestleMania XII (1996)
    1% 1 vote
    WrestleMania 2000 (2000)
    2% 2 votes
    WrestleMania XXIV (2008)
    1% 1 vote
    WrestleMania XXV (2009)
    4% 4 votes
    WrestleMania V (1989)
    0% 0 votes
    WrestleMania XIII (1997)
    0% 0 votes
    WrestleMania (1985)
    1% 1 vote
    WrestleMania XXVII (2011)
    0% 0 votes
    Wrestlemania 29 (2013)
    0% 0 votes
    A different Wrestlemania (say which one)
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,509 ✭✭✭✭CSF

2001 for definite. That was when wrestling was just perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

WM28 where I made the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

CSF wrote: »
    2001 for definite. That was when wrestling was just perfect.

I agree. I thought it was booked very well, the undercard matches such as Jericho/Regal and the triple threat hardcore match were done very well and the other undercard matches weren't dragged out and kept me interested. Then of course you have to add the four classic matches and a killer main event promo and I think you have one of the best Wrestlemanias ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Went with X7 but I love XIX and have pretty much no nostalgia for the period because I was totally cut off from wrestling at that point, outside of the HHH/Booker stuff, the show's immense as a self-contained slice of WWE to go back and look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

ciano316 wrote: »
    WM28 where I made the main event.

2y7rw2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Wrestlemania 9 for me the outdoor one in caesars afaik.

Giant Gonzalez v Taker

Taker coming out with the vulture getting carted away and coming back ftw.

Bret v Yokozuna

Mr.Fuji chucking the dust in brets eyes and yoko getting the win nearly made me cry. The hogan part afterwards didnt interest me at all.

Probably one my earliest wrestling memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

19. The card was just excellent from top to bottom and no match disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

I voted for 29 just based on the fact I was there.. Its difficult for me because I've only been watching for 5years and honestly they've not been great in that time but 26 would probably win based on how excellent the main event was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The ordering of that list makes it tough to read

Aside from that, my favourites were X7 and XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

There is no doubting X7 is probably the greatest but my vote for my favourite went to XIV that just about pips WM VIII.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

X just because it is the first one i remember watching over in my friends house as didnt have sky sports, Bret -Owen is still one of my favourite matches of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,134 ✭✭✭✭Penn

X7. Okay, the Chyna/Ivory and APA&Tazz/RTC matches weren't great, but the rest of the card was phenomenal

Jericho V Regal was excellent
    Kane V Raven V Big Show was surprisingly good with some great spots
    Eddie Guerrero V Test was very good (bar Test getting caught in the ropes)
    Angle V Benoit was a masterclass
    Shane V Vince, yeah the story was a bit contrived, but it was still very enjoyable
    TLC match was unbelievable
    Gimmick Battle Royal was a lot of fun and didn't go on too long
    Taker V HHH was brilliant
    Austin V Rock was brilliant

Just a great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Wrestlemania XX. Not only was the card great and diverse, but Eddies match was brilliant and the triple threat is one of my favourite match ups of all time. I'm a massive Benoit fan so that final image always stays with me, and I'll never forget how much I screamed when Benoit won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Also X7 had the "My Way" video promo for Austin/Rock which in my opinion is the best video promo they have ever produced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Feed me Seymour

Voted for Wrestlemania XX, even though I've never re-watched it and probably wont for a long time either. Totally marked out for Benoit & Eddie at end. It was a fun wrestlemania leading up to the mainevents. Christian v Jericho told a good story too.

Enjoyed 18 as it was on Paddys night. Remember leaving nightclub early so we could watch hogan v rock. With the drink on me that night I even loved the 'hardcore championship matches'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

X7 for me too, although I do have a soft spot for 19:

Great unique stadium and setting.
    Angle/Brock was great (not their best match though)
    Vince/Hogan was good fun (and has a phenomenal promo before it)
    Great theme song
    Jericho/HBK was excellent
    Good tag team match
    Austin's last match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

x43r0 wrote: »
    Also X7 had the "My Way" video promo for Austin/Rock which in my opinion is the best video promo they have ever produced

Just watched that yesterday, so good.

• Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭Donegal Dan

Nice to see Wrestlemania VI in joint 2nd place ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

For what was a bit of an odd feud. Stone Cold's obsession with the title was good, and one of the few instances of proper, good storytelling in 'rasslin, in terms of foreshadowing the following turn, but that was slightly derailed by the whole Debra business, as though it was a feud in need of a hook.

Sometimes the caliber of talent involved in feud really does make immune to a lot of a things.

The ordering of that list makes it tough to read

Its pasted in as per the order of the Wrestlecrap article. They did it as a countdown so if you look again you'll see the Manias get stronger as the post goes on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

VIII for me, earliest memory for me of a video I watched over and over again. Hart vs Piper is an absolute classic, as is Flair vs Savage

X just because it is the first one i remember watching over in my friends house as didnt have sky sports, Bret -Owen is still one of my favourite matches of all time.

It also had this ladder match

I think a catchup with Wrestlemania XX is in order tonight. Thank you You Tube! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

WM 3 - 6 were amazing...some brilliant wrestling and story telling in them
    WM 3 had possibly the greatest match ever.. Randy v Steamboat.. Hogan v Andre.. Alice Cooper
    WM 4 was a bit weak, with some bad entrants in the tourney
    WM 5 the mega powers explode, Liz (what a beautiful woman) swaying between her 2 men, first time for Warrior.. Trump Plaza again..
    WM 6 for the spectacle, Some great matches on that card, the rockers were impressive.. Warrior receiving the torch. never thought Hogan would do it clean he did but then tried stealing the moment with the belts.. should've just fcuked off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Went with X7, just a fantastic PPV from finish to end, and one of the rare times there has been a shock end to a Wrestlemania. For me XIX and XXVI are tied, I loved both equally but for totally different reasons. XIX was the last one where the matches and story-line truly came together nicely instead of one being better than the other and XXVI was just a spectacle, some great wrestling and a ton of fun to watch! Also, Taker Vs Michaels was, in my opinion, the greatest Wrestlemania match of all time. It's the only time since "The Streak" became a thing that I actually believed Taker would lose. Before and during the match. Amazing

Is anyone having a Mania marathon on the WWE Network or similar with just a few weeks to go to XXX?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Wrestlemania 9 for me the outdoor one in caesars afaik.

Giant Gonzalez v Taker

Taker coming out with the vulture getting carted away and coming back ftw.

Bret v Yokozuna

Mr.Fuji chucking the dust in brets eyes and yoko getting the win nearly made me cry. The hogan part afterwards didnt interest me at all.

Probably one my earliest wrestling memories.

Jim Ross in a toga as well, cannot be unseen! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

XVII has to be the best wrestlemania so far. Consistently good to great, the roster was jampacked with talent at their relative peaks. The chemistry between Austin and Rock was off the charts for the main event.

That said, I think my favourite wrestlemania moment is still the Randy Savage/ Ultimate Warrior match from VII, great match, and the reuniting of Macho man and Miss Elizabeth at the end.

Sin Eater wrote: »

That said, I think my favourite wrestlemania moment is still the Randy Savage/ Ultimate Warrior match from VII, great match, and the reuniting of Macho man and Miss Elizabeth at the end.

What a great WM moment. Even now as a grown adult it gives me a lump in my throat ;)

• Advertisement

WM 29 now showing on the Network in the buildup to Mania. I missed this one last year. Taker Vs CM Punk is very good so far.

Advertisement