Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QCA 4th Sem2 NEED TO BRING IT UP

• 05-02-2014 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, hoping ye can help me!

Ok so Im currently in 4th yr, final Sem. Im currently on a QCA of 2.48.
    Could someone please tell me what grades I need to be getting for the next semester to get up to a 2.1 or a 2.2?

Could someone please also explain to me, how in final year your QCA accounts for two years work? How does this affect you work and results this year? If you do very well this year, and did not do so well the two years before, does this affect you highly? as Im on 2.48 now, I will only go above this right??

This would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The allocation of semesters to your degree is the following normally:

Semester 3 = 1/8
    Semester 4 = 1/8 (2nd year total is 1/4)

Semester 5/6 = 1/4 (you'll have been on co-op for one of the semesters in 3rd year)

Semester 7 = 1/4

Semester 8 = 1/4

So by now you've completed 3/4 of your degree.

From here you can certainly still go down lower than 2.48 - the lowest semester QCA you can get while passing is 2.00.

The bands for degree awards are at http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Student_Academic_Administration/Student%20Information/Results%20Information/Classification%20of%20Awards%20and%20Discretionary%20Bands

A 2.2 requires 2.6, or 2.5 if the grading committee decide you've done a good enough job. If you do an excellent FYP and jump over the 2.5 QCA mark at all you might get the 2.2.

To get past 2.6 from where you are you need 2.96 for your last semester - basically a B2 average.
    2.6 x 4 = 10.4 (the QCA you need totalled over 4 quarters)
    2.48 x 3 = 7.44 (the QCA you have totalled over the 3 quarters that are completed)
    10.4 - 7.44 = 2.96 (what you need to close the gap)

If you want a 2.1, you're out of luck at this stage. To even get to the consideration band you'd need a QCA of 4.16 for this semester which is not attainable. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lalala10

Thank you so much for that reply!!! Appreciate it big time! you've got my head around what I need now! Devastated now I did not bother my arse much the last few years :( !!!! Thank you!!

Lets say I got an A2/B1 average what would that leave me with still a 2.2??

Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

lalala10 wrote: »

Lets say I got an A2/B1 average what would that leave me with still a 2.2??

If you cant figure out the basic math, it doesn't bode well for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

If you are doing an FYP, which counts for 1 module last semester and 2 modules this semester, you would need an A1 in your FYP and your an A1 in a modules this semester and 2 A2's in the other 2 modules to get 2.896 which they are required to round up to 2 decimal places so this would give you 2.90. This would put you in the discretionary band for engineering a 2.1 which is automatically applied.

In other courses the band can be smaller so without knowing if you are doing an FYP, what course you are doing or if you can repeat any module during the summer to improve a grade, we can only speculate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

If your FYP only count for two modules (1 last semester, 1 this semester). Assuming 5 modules a semester, standard weighted.

You have achieved 84 credits out of 120 (not including coop)

84*2.48 = 208.32 (Current QCS)

QCS for a 2.2 = 120*2.6 = 312

QCS for a 2.1 = 120*3.0 = 360

To achieve a 2.2

(312-208.32)/(120-84) = 103.68/36 = 2.88

Average of B2 needed

To achieve a 2.1

(360-208.32)/(120-84) = 151.68/36 = 4.21

Not possible

Aim to get into the award band. Not everyone gets bumped up. I was 0.4 off a 1.1 department wouldn't bump me up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im 2.28 and I want to get to 2.50 to get a 2:2. Its a tall order but not impossible

Advertisement