Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking a user

Options
  • 06-02-2014 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

There is a long story behind this I wont bore you with it. But I want to stop a certain person going onto my website.

I have her IP address and I want my website to block it so she cant see my site. I know she could just go to an internet cafe or whatever but thats fine. I just dont want her looking at it every single day trying to get clues about what we are getting up to etc.

By the way shes not technical in the least. If all it showed was a blank page or something she'd probably just think the site was gone and probably wouldnt be suspicious enough to go testing it in a cafe. Actually that would be perfect.

Can anyone advise me on how to proceeed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Can you not just re-reg / change the title of your website? Or remove it completely if you're that worried about one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

Can you not just re-reg / change the title of your website? Or remove it completely if you're that worried about one person.

Thats not really an option. Id have to rename the whole company and that would just be a pain in the ass. And then if I do take it off altogether I lose my customers. I ask all new customers where they heard of me and a lot say the website so that's good. I don't want to upset that. But thanks for the suggestion anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

It depends on the type of site you have.

Are the files html / php or is it a 3rd party site like wordpress.

What kind of access do you have to hosting.

The IP address you have for this person, are you sure it does not change, it may be a shared IP address from her ISP.

PM me the link if you are unsure of the type of site.

hearny wrote: »
    Are the files html / php or is it a 3rd party site like wordpress.

Html and CSS. Its my own site that I paid to have built from scratch.

What kind of access do you have to hosting.

Im not sure I understand what you mean by this. But Id take a guess and say that I have full rights. I bought one of the best packages that was on offer- looking back I thought it would be great being able to see who was on my site and what pages they visited and how long they read each page and all this kind of thing- but its not much use if you cant figure out how to get it up on the screen :o

The IP address you have for this person, are you sure it does not change, it may be a shared IP address from her ISP.

I wont bore you with the details but the only reason I have the IP address in the first place is because after a lot of solicitors and this and that her ISP finally gave it to me and the chap I was talking to told me (off record of course) that I should look into blocking it on my site if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Odd request. You could secure your site and only grant access to people with a login.

Or if you really just want to block 1 IP Address then you could do it using iptables. But that is very easy to get around, she would still see your site on her phone or from any other PC.
    iptables -A INPUT -s "her ip address" -j DROP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is a really situation but I won't ask...

You can add a rewrite rule to the website. If someone from a certain IP visits the site they are redirected instantly to a maintenance page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Do you have access to the hosts file of the server that hosts the site? If so adding the Ip there will stop all traffic from the server to that ip, when she tries to connect to the site the server well receive packets initializing the connection but never reply to them (by adding to the hosts file the server well think it's already there and do nothing)

Ok Im not going to lie, those answers are great but I think I'll get the girl who built the site to do it for me. I was thinking maybe it would be a simple thing I could do myself, but to be honest those answers just go so far over my head. For this level of stuff Id need someone to sit next to me and tell me exactly what buttons to press.... and I'd still probably get it wrong!

Thanks for the help everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

You can't block her, you can only block her ISP (or network domain), along with everybody else that shares it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Its basically impossible if she has a dynamic ip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement