Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does an unpaid ESB bill affect my credit rating?

• 06-02-2014 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

Basically my situation is I lived in a house with 2 other girls last year and moved out last summer. I had to move out suddenly because of a family illness and although the ESB was in my name but I paid off my part and presumed the other girls had too. But I started getting calls off a private number in December and when I answered the phone it was the ESB saying there an outstanding debt on the account so I told them Id get in contact with the girl but she's moved back to the States and left me high and dry. Now Im getting four or five calls a day from BCW group a debt collector agency and Im a student and have absolutely no extra money to pay this off... does this affect my credit rating? Any advice of how to deal with this? Would really appreciate it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

No, a debt collection agency has no ability to effect your credit rating. It is also illegal for a debt collector to contact you so often that you feel harassed by them. You also have no contractual arrangement with the debt collector and you don't have to deal with them.

You do however owe money for the bill, you got stung by your room mate but it's still your bill to pay. You should contact the ESB and agree a plan to pay them back so you can put this behind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Scandixx

So if I contact the ESB and offer to do a payment plan with them does that mean I would not have to deal with the debt collection agency at all? Thanks so much for this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Scandixx wrote: »
    So if I contact the ESB and offer to do a payment plan with them does that mean I would not have to deal with the debt collection agency at all? Thanks so much for this :)

In a word - yes. Make a payment arrangement now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Scandixx wrote: »

Yes, your contract is with electric Ireland. You can ignore the debt collectors.

Also worth remembering if you want to get electricity in your own name in the future the arrears might go against you if left unpaid. Maybe give them a tenner a month till its paid? They might reject this but even if they do you should pay it off the bill anyway which proves your willingness to pay and get it sorted out.

Advertisement