Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Irish Shares from Australia

Options
  • 06-02-2014 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Hi all - I opened a similar thread in the Investments & Banking section but I might get some help from here too.

I'm based in Australia at the moment but I'm interested in buying some Irish shares. My current broker in Australia only deals with the ASX. Are there any good online brokers that deal with the Irish Stock Exchange that I can open an account with, and do all my transactions with, from overseas?

Obviously I'd be interested in the ones with the best rates etc. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I still use the AIB one that I set up when I worked there as didn't have to pay all fees etc. Not sure what fees are now as most of Irish shares I bought are long term holds so haven't traded in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

been looking at my options for some european trades too. for my ASX trades i use commsec as its convenient. they offer an international trading account also but the fees look very steep. from what i have gathered, it looks like the most cost effective option would be to open an irish trading account and transfer your money over via currency fair or the like. i am looking at a TD Direct account.

need to do a lot more research into the tax implications of all this though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What actual shares are you looking to buy as there may be other exchanges that sell those shares as well

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thronegames

I've been using Davy Select for the last number of months and have found them excellent for share dealing. Execution only account is most reasonable at €14.95 per trade. There is also an annual fee but forget what it is so it can't be huge. There is a bit of paperwork involved in opening the account but once activated it's so easy to use. I can log in and within 10 seconds I have either bought or sold shares. Website is www.davyselect.ie

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Thronegames

Davy Select execution only account is min €14.95 per trade and €20 per quarter. Yes it's expensive and I may change but I find them fast, accurate and reliable. I also can get an agent on the phone really fast and that is so important. Even though I have an execution only account they provide a little advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement