Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started with Hiking Mountaineering

Options
  • 06-02-2014 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hello,
    Looking for some help. I am in my late 20s and I’m moving to Cork this month. I am looking to get into mountaineering/hiking. I have done a fair bit of hiking over the last couple of summers and my aim is to climb Mount Blanc sometime in June of this year.

I’ll be doing shiftwork in my new job (4days on/4days off). I don’t want to be training on my own (& I’m new on Cork) so I’d like to a good hiking group that does some weekdays as well as weekends. As I’m planning on doing Mount Blanc in June I wouldn’t mind doing some proper mountaineering courses too.

I know there is a lot here but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I’m basically unsure of where to get started on all of this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭preacherman

Hello,
    Looking for some help. I am in my late 20s and I’m moving to Cork this month. I am looking to get into mountaineering/hiking. I have done a fair bit of hiking over the last couple of summers and my aim is to climb Mount Blanc sometime in June of this year.

I’ll be doing shiftwork in my new job (4days on/4days off). I don’t want to be training on my own (& I’m new on Cork) so I’d like to a good hiking group that does some weekdays as well as weekends. As I’m planning on doing Mount Blanc in June I wouldn’t mind doing some proper mountaineering courses too.

I know there is a lot here but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I’m basically unsure of where to get started on all of this

Try this club http://homepage.eircom.net/~bishopstownohc/bhc.html

Reeks not too far from Cork. Try this...

http://www.outdoorsireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

A good place for courses and groups in mountaineering ireland. If you dont already have membership plus handy ten percent discount in all hiking shops good for last minute kit before your mount blanc trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭NickSantigo

Guys thanks for all the replies, should help me get started

Advertisement