Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking to posts from other sites?

Options
  • 06-02-2014 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

I reported a post early yesterday afternoon that had a link to another non boards forum. The link in question was to a forum where the poster was using a "real name". The post linked was exactly the same as the op in the thread on Boards so its likely that both posters are the same person.

The person is regged on Boards under a pseudonym so linking them to a real name without their express say so I would have thought at best is a massive no no and at worst is a complete dick move.

The post is still there and 2 of the 3 forum mods have been online since I reported it so Im presuming the reported post has been seen and deemed not actionable and not even removable.

When I modded outing someone ie using their real life name, even just their first name, was hugely frowned upon never mind posting possibly/probably their full name and profile from another site.

Has something changed?

Of course its possible that the reported post was missed however Id be surprised as its not exactly After Hours when it comes to been a hotbed of controversy.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Did you contact the mods to ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Gordon wrote: »
    Did you contact the mods to ask them?

No, why would I?

I reported the post and nothing was done so the mods of this particular forum apparently deemed it a non issue.

This is a query about the site wide consensus as opposed to forum specific rules as different forums have different guidelines and rules but there are site wide caveats, I would have thought that the one I highlighted in my op was one of them so again, has something changed or am I completely mistaken on what is/was kosher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It may fall afoul of the "please don't speculate on someone's identity" parts of the T's and C's but I'd have to know the specifics to make a judgement on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Are you saying that there was a thread where Poster A was the OP, another poster on the thread (Poster B) posted a link to a thread on another site (lets call it Userealnamesonlychatroom.com) where there was a post that EXACTLY matched Poster A's post, and as it's on the userealnamesonlychatroom.com site Poster A's real name is associated with that post.

I'd consider that a 'dick' move by poster b to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

No, why would I?

Because it's possible that the post was missed, as you say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

@Dav - I'm on mobile so can't link to the thread in question but check the reported posts from myself yesterday, it was approx 13:40 or there abouts.

@Knucks - Thats exactly what I'm saying.

@Gordon - As I said in my OP, it would be surprising if it was missed by both mods as the forum in question would be relatively low traffic and historically didn't generate all that many reported posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I found the post you were talking about, I'll send a link on to Dav.

I agree its a bit of a dick move on the face of it but it could be argued that:

1. the poster is not the same as the poster on the other forum and just copied/pasted that post to boards (unlikely)
    2. the poster's identity on the other forum is also not their real name (possible)
    3. if someone is careless enough to post the exact same content on two different forums under two different user names then its their own fault if someone recognises it and makes the connection.

"outing" them is still bad form though.

on reading the other site thread it seems that the user "outing" the Boards id also outed themselves in the other forum at the same time (unless its a different user...but the same argument could be made for the OP of both threads).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Of course its possible that the reported post was missed however Id be surprised as its not exactly After Hours when it comes to been a hotbed of controversy.

It's easier for mods of quieter peaceful forums to miss a reported post. If you mod AH, Politics, PI or whatever you're probably used to checking your email regularly or having some notifications widget for altering you or whatever. Remember with the busy forums it's not a case of whether there are reported posts in your inbox rather how many are there. I knew one mod of a very nice peaceful forum where there was never any trouble who didn't know what a reported post was... (it had never happened before in the two years they'd modded the forum and they wondered if it was a scam... :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Worse than 'outing' someone on another site is 'outing and taking the píss out of someone from boards' on another site - and referencing their boards username.

Been down that road before and was told nothing can be done as officially boards can't prove that the user on the other site is the same user on boards.

Thankfully, some common sense is still allowed to moderators here and there are means to deal with that muppetry when it happens to a user on a forum I mod.

Advertisement