Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free/cheap things to do with toddler in Dublin?

Options
  • 06-02-2014 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for new ideas for things to do with my 2.8yr DD.
    It's starting to cost a bomb doing things and going places everyday so I'd love to hear any ideas for new cheapy things to try.
    I'm trying to be particularly frugal this February so so far we've done the natural history museum and Stephens green, baking bread, local playground, plenty of walks and loads of arty and crafty bits.
    She gets fed up of anything indoors pretty quickly so I rather leave that for rainy days.
    The mother and toddler groups locally are quite dear for what they are and she's miles older than the others. We're joining the library tomorrow and swimming on Friday. There's a play lab on a bus route we'll be trying out too but again, pretty expensive when factoring in bus fares etc.
    Is there anything I'm not thinking of? Feeding the ducks is a big hit so that's a regular one, is there maybe any other duck ponds I'm unaware of on the northside bar saint Anne's and Clongriffan?

All ideas much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

If you're on the northside, how about:
    -the playground in malahide castle
    -newbridge house farm in donabate
    -ducks near the roundabout in Portmarnock
    -feeding the seals in howth

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Once the wind and high tides settle down a ramble on the beach would be fab this time of year. She can run around and paddle in the water in wellies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Drdoc wrote: »
    If you're on the northside, how about:
    -the playground in malahide castle
    -newbridge house farm in donabate
    -ducks near the roundabout in Portmarnock
    -feeding the seals in howth

feeding the seals is banned now.

one of the fish shop owners told me a seal exploded from overeating.

visitor centre in phoenix park has a good playground,
    farmleigh and santas reindeer all over the park. my 3 year old got so excited being brought to see them:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I downloaded an App onto my phone called 'Culturefox'. It lists loads of events going on around the country. There are loads of free family events that I never knew were happening and would be cool to do with young kiddies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I downloaded an App onto my phone called 'Culturefox'. It lists loads of events going on around the country. There are loads of free family events that I never knew were happening and would be cool to do with young kiddies :)

Is that app just for iPhone? Can't seem to find it on Android :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

amor3 wrote: »
    Is that app just for iPhone? Can't seem to find it on Android :-(

I just downloaded it for my android phone, just make sure there's no space between the words culture and fox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I would link to my earlier thread once again "In praise of Newbridge House (and what to do with toddlers when youre dub)" but I am not sure what the transport options are for that. Perhaps someone else can let you know. I went there by car myself.

As the farm is so cheap and the attached playground outside is large and completely free, you are still likely to find the entire day out to be quite frugal. And it is a full day out. There are even BBQs peppered around if you can claim one or bring your own, to make it even cheaper by bringing your own foods rather than relying on the cafe. There are also plenty of paths around to engage in running bikes or pedal bikes if your child is currently into either.

Advertisement