Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card account - is it closed now?

Options
  • 06-02-2014 10:58am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hello
    I recently moved all my bank accounts to PTSB, to avoid the BoI charges.
    The last thing (I thought) I closed was the credit card account. I have today received a statement for the credit card, with a balance of zero, but nowhere does it confirm that this account is closed. I do not want to be stung for more charges on this account. I have been to the branch three times about this now. How can I be sure this account is closed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi spurious,

Thanks for getting in contact with us here on boards.

When you close your Credit Card account you should receive a letter of confirmation separate to your final statement. This should be with you within 5 to 7 working days after the account closes. If you have received this letter then you can be assured that the account is closed.

If not, please call our Credit Card Services team on 1890 251 251. Our representatives will be able to confirm the status of the account, and if it has not yet been closed they will be happy to take that instruction from you over the phone.

Just to mention upon closure of your Credit Card account the Government Stamp Duty of E30 is applied as it is charged in arrears. However, if you switching your Credit Card to a new financial institution you can request a Government Stamp Duty exemption letter from Credit Card Services upon payment of this tax. This will then help you avoid this charge with your new bank come April 2014. For more information on the Government Tax please see here.

While we are sorry to hear you have decided to move from Bank of Ireland, we hope this information helps. If we can assist you with anything else in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks for banking with us.
    Elaine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for that Elaine - I'll ring and check that it is closed.

Advertisement