Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Obligations Re: Flooding

Options
  • 06-02-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

We are currently renting a house in Cork city center which was flooded to a depth of 8 inches twice in the space of 36 hours. We just want to know what is the landlords obligation regarding having the house cleaned? none of our property was damaged but appliances (fridge, oven, washing machine) and kitchen presses, all had water in them. We cleared out the water and debris but surely the landlord needs to have the house cleaned properly? the water was dark brown and smelled like **** frankly, but they claim its not their responsibility. They also claim they had cleaners in but there is still silt on the floor in and lower down cabinets, and they wouldnt provide a receipt from these "cleaners".

They did provide sandbags, which failed obviously but course the landlord cannot be held responsible for the fact that the house flooded.

and! We did ask if the house flooded before we signed the lease, they said no, not in the last ten years, however after asking the firemen who pumped us out and our neighbours we found out it acutally floods almost annually.

Have I anything to go on??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The landlord is not responsible for any of your possessions, but in terms of the house and any appliances/fittings contained within, it would not be your responsibility. It would be different if the place flooded through any fault of yours, but in this scenario that is clearly not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Here's some advice on how to clean up after flooding
    http://www.flooding.ie/en/Afterflooding/Cleaningupyourhouse/

and Threshold's advice on dealing with flooding
    http://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/tips_for_dealing_with_flooding.pdf

I can't find whose responsibility it would fall to (I'd expect Landlord should clean and include this as claim on insurance). You may want to contact Threshold for more advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Here's some advice on how to clean up after flooding
    http://www.flooding.ie/en/Afterflooding/Cleaningupyourhouse/

and Threshold's advice on dealing with flooding
    http://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/tips_for_dealing_with_flooding.pdf

I can't find whose responsibility it would fall to (I'd expect Landlord should clean and include this as claim on insurance). You may want to contact Threshold for more advice
    Probably find that the landlord can't get flood insurance if its been flooded before.

odds_on wrote: »
    Probably find that the landlord can't get flood insurance if its been flooded before.

True but they still have the obligation for the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

odds_on wrote: »

A dreadful situation for all involved. I would speak frankly to the LL, he is facing a large bill if he has to replace all appliances etc., and he may not have the finances to do so if he cannot insure the place. Furthermore, do you want to remain in a place prone to flooding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Billyum

MouseTail wrote: »
    A dreadful situation for all involved. I would speak frankly to the LL, he is facing a large bill if he has to replace all appliances etc., and he may not have the finances to do so if he cannot insure the place. Furthermore, do you want to remain in a place prone to flooding?

Taking the flooding out of the equation, then yes, we couldnt find a better house location wise, and we were happy here before, besides wev been told we will loose our deposit if we move and break out contract since the house is technically livable in, even if it is swarming with bacteria... which is my issue here really. The LL shows zero interest and if we had not rang them 10+ times they wouldnt have even called over, absolutely no inquiry into whether their property had been damaged at all. Basically the flooding is completely our (the tenants) problem to deal with... Threshold say there are very little guidelines and rules when it comes to natural flooding:(

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Wow, I cannot believe you're still living in the house. I've worked in the water/fire damage trade for a german company and believe me, the house is not "technically livable in".
    Just to give you a general idea, in all the jobs we've done floor was removed, all flooded furniture and appliances ended up in skip, sometimes we even stripped out plastering from walls. Drying up takes a few days and involves several fans/dehumidifiers and heaters per room. The chemicals we were spraying were so strong that we had to use full protective gear including full-face mask...
    Move out asap until it gets sorted, your place was covered in sewage and normal cleaning just won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chocoroll

Honestly? I don't get way you would want someone else to clean you're house.... If there is stuff damaged that's a different story but cleaning???? It's probably my dutch side but I really don't get that......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭greeno

This actually happened me in 2011 when Dundrum flooded, water got to about a foot but subsided quickly, still left the floors and parts of the wall a mess. Our LL was top notch, we came to an agreement not to pay rent for the month and this more or less covered our hotel stay for the month. He gutted and relaid the floors and plasterboard where flood damaged painted the place and left it like new. Some of the work like painting overlapped with is being back in the place but we were both civilised and reasonable about it. He claimed his insurance for the work. It's LL responsibility to have the place safe to live in full stop.

• Advertisement

chocoroll wrote: »
    Honestly? I don't get way you would want someone else to clean you're house.... If there is stuff damaged that's a different story but cleaning???? It's probably my dutch side but I really don't get that......

Because if your house is washed over with sewage contaminated water it needs to be cleaned by professionals l, my housemate or I have not got even near the capability to do it properly, our landlord claims this unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

Our apartment got flooded but it was because of a faulty washing machine. We deal with a letting agency and they had a cleaning crew out the same day to clean up. The cost were covered, presumably by the landlord, and the washing machine was eventually replaced. It's a different flooding situation, but one would imagine that your landlord would be responsible for the cleaning at least.

I found this article from Threshold re. Landlord's responsibility's for flooding, but it's 3 years old, so it may be out of date. Your best bet would be to give Threshold a call and hopefully they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Op, flood water generally contains sewage. There's most likely ecoli and other nice little friendly organisms in your home. I'd be moving out ASAP if I were you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

chocoroll wrote: »
    Honestly? I don't get way you would want someone else to clean you're house.

It's not their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Billyum wrote: »
    Threshold say there are very little guidelines and rules when it comes to natural flooding:(

Just remember, your landlord is going to have to sit in front on a judge in the PRTB and explain why in a apartment which is prone to flooding in which he denied when you moved in, he then refused to clean, replaced appliances or do any general repairs when the residence filled up with **** infested water.

He can no longer provide a place to live. Find a new residence and get your rent in advance and deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wow, I cannot believe you're still living in the house. I've worked in the water/fire damage trade for a german company and believe me, the house is not "technically livable in".
    Just to give you a general idea, in all the jobs we've done floor was removed, all flooded furniture and appliances ended up in skip, sometimes we even stripped out plastering from walls. Drying up takes a few days and involves several fans/dehumidifiers and heaters per room. The chemicals we were spraying were so strong that we had to use full protective gear including full-face mask...
    Move out asap until it gets sorted, your place was covered in sewage and normal cleaning just won't do.

Indeed. In some countries, a house which is flooded with sewage-contaminated water is demolished, end of story. Ireland appears to live with a different standard of hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

and! We did ask if the house flooded before we signed the lease, they said no, not in the last ten years, however after asking the firemen who pumped us out and our neighbours we found out it acutally floods almost annually.

Have I anything to go on??

This is negligent or fraudulent misrepresentation.
    Knowingly or negligently making a false statement which indices another into a contract.

So, just to update, after choosing to stop dealing with our ridiculous landlord, we approached their much more reasonable partner. They agreed to give money towards the ESB, 40% off rent for the week and get the house steam cleaned. Reasonable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would imagine it would be in the walls and floors. I don't think I'd want to stay there tbh. You'd have gut everything that was under water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i feel sorry for you and landlord, but my gut tells me that the landlord will have to take the fall, it is nobodys fault, just hard luck,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

40% off rent for the week? How long was the house under water and how long have you been waiting to get it cleaned?

Id be looking to move out and only consider moving back in once it has been cleaned to a level that you are absolutely satisfied with. I dont think Id be prepared to pay much/any rent during that time either.

Im also not sure that a steam clean is going to be sufficient if the place was properly flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

OP I work in a place that deals with this sort of thing, a steam clean will not cut it. Your landlord is being a cheapskate and you're not wise to stay there without a proper assessment being done and remediation works being carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I can't believe you are still there, OP. There is a good chance that the LL, rather than just being a cheapskate, doesn't have the funds to do the necessary work. And you can't get blood out of a stone, even if you go the the PTRB. Insurance money might have to come through before the LL can do anything. And that could be ages

Didn't the government just announce money for property owners recently affected by the flooding?

Didn't the government just announce money for property owners recently affected by the flooding?

I think they did, but it's still going to take time. They arent going to just toss cash to anyone...they'll have to be an application, just as if you're claiming insurance. I doubt money is going to be in a property owners bank account tomorrow.

I think they did, but it's still going to take time. They arent going to just toss cash to anyone...they'll have to be an application, just as if you're claiming insurance. I doubt money is going to be in a property owners bank account tomorrow.

I heard on the radio there's an emergency fund for the immediate works and a larger fund that'll cover flooring, white goods, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We did ask if the house flooded before we signed the lease, they said no, not in the last ten years, however after asking the firemen who pumped us out and our neighbours we found out it acutally floods almost annually.
    greeno wrote: »
    He claimed his insurance for the work. It's LL responsibility to have the place safe to live in full stop.
    I'm guessing if the place has flooded already, the insurance company probably took out flood coverage.
    get the house steam cleaned. Reasonable?
    It'll clean the walls and the floor. But the sewage will have gotten into the walls, under the floorboards. Heck, there could be still some sewage under the floorboards!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Anything that the flood water touches has to be disposed of.

Just move out OP.

I heard on the radio there's an emergency fund for the immediate works and a larger fund that'll cover flooring, white goods, etc.

There is no way that government assistance will be enough to make a badly flooded house habitable.....deal with the sewage under the floors and behind the walls and re-wiring, and all the other stuff needed.

I think the OP is crazy to consider staying. It defeats the main benefit of renting, which is that you can leave if things go tits up!

• Advertisement

There is no way that government assistance will be enough to make a badly flooded house habitable.....deal with the sewage under the floors and behind the walls and re-wiring, and all the other stuff needed.

I think the OP is crazy to consider staying. It defeats the main benefit of renting, which is that you can leave if things go tits up!

I'm not arguing for the OP staying and I'd agree that they should move. I am just pointing out the funding available for this landlord when they say they're not responsible (which of course they are, it's their feckin' flat).

Advertisement