Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Obligations Re: Flooding

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Billyum wrote: »
    Taking the flooding out of the equation, then yes, we couldnt find a better house location wise, and we were happy here before, besides wev been told we will loose our deposit if we move and break out contract since the house is technically livable in, even if it is swarming with bacteria... which is my issue here really. The LL shows zero interest and if we had not rang them 10+ times they wouldnt have even called over, absolutely no inquiry into whether their property had been damaged at all. Basically the flooding is completely our (the tenants) problem to deal with... Threshold say there are very little guidelines and rules when it comes to natural flooding:(

FFS a flood damaged house, with sewage contaminated water upto 8 inches is not livable.
    Thus they have broken the contract in not providing you with livable accommodation and compensation (alternative accommodation or no rental charges) whilst it is being fixed.

It is not ideal location wise because it is prone to flooding.
    Cork is going to flood again and as the climate is changing it will happen more often.
    How long will it take the authorities to build the proposed flood defenses and even then with the amount of money they are proposing they will probably not totally prevent flooding.
    So get out and find somewhere higher up.

Also the landlord is useless and uncaring so why continue to do business with such a person.
    So, just to update, after choosing to stop dealing with our ridiculous landlord, we approached their much more reasonable partner. They agreed to give money towards the ESB, 40% off rent for the week and get the house steam cleaned. Reasonable?

Where are you currently living ?
    The ESB bill could be very high since to clean out the place properly could involve heaters, dehumidifiers running continously.

40% me backside.
    Why should you pay any rent for the place when it is a) unlivable and b) probably a health hazard ?

Would you pay a car hire company for car hire for the week whilst they had the car in the garage ?

Steam cleaned to them probably means they send in one of their mates with a power washer and a steam mop.
    It aint good enough.

Stop any further rent payments immediately and look for your deposit back.

As Grandpa said the landlord may be another one of those in hock up to their eyeballs and doesn't have the money so you aint going to get anything.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

We are currently renting a house in Cork city center which was flooded to a depth of 8 inches twice in the space of 36 hours. We just want to know what is the landlords obligation regarding having the house cleaned? none of our property was damaged but appliances (fridge, oven, washing machine) and kitchen presses, all had water in them. We cleared out the water and debris but surely the landlord needs to have the house cleaned properly? the water was dark brown and smelled like **** frankly, but they claim its not their responsibility. They also claim they had cleaners in but there is still silt on the floor in and lower down cabinets, and they wouldnt provide a receipt from these "cleaners".

They did provide sandbags, which failed obviously but course the landlord cannot be held responsible for the fact that the house flooded.

and! We did ask if the house flooded before we signed the lease, they said no, not in the last ten years, however after asking the firemen who pumped us out and our neighbours we found out it acutally floods almost annually.

Have I anything to go on??
    if it is then true that it had flooded annually, he lied, that was not right to lie to ye,
    it gave ye no chance to prepare, he should be held responsible for the lot,

my guess is that if he had said that it flooded annually, you would have just moved on and found a place without a history of flooding, which means that you would not be in this situation,
    that was all wrong of a person to tell a huge lie such as that, if that is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

A couple of hundred Euro deposit is not worth you health OP, you could get seriously sick from staying here. I'd suggest moving out straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OP I work in a place that deals with this sort of thing, a steam clean will not cut it. Your landlord is being a cheapskate and you're not wise to stay there without a proper assessment being done and remediation works being carried out.

I did this before as well. In 2-3 weeks that house is going to stink to high heaven. If the house has flooded before, he already knows this. He isn't going to be able to rent it for months.

We went in and ripped out the entire bottom floor, floorboards, joists, kitchen, stud walls and redid the electrics of two flooded houses. Place still smelled a little when it was all finished. There are going to be pockets of water all around the place, with a decent amount of bacteria already there waiting to fester. A "Steam clean" will not get them.

Do not accept any deal, move out. You will regret any other decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

There is no way that government assistance will be enough to make a badly flooded house habitable.....deal with the sewage under the floors and behind the walls and re-wiring, and all the other stuff needed.

I think the OP is crazy to consider staying. It defeats the main benefit of renting, which is that you can leave if things go tits up!

why would the wiring need to be redone? replacing certain parts, but re-wiring? is that necessary?

As for redoing the rest, while avoiding a property prone to flooding would be best, there must be measures a property owner can implement to limit the effects of flooding?
    Depending on whether its a solid floor or a suspended wooden floor on the ground floor, might change things.
    Would plastered walls instead of plasterboard make a difference? or a horizontal separation between the level that might be flooded and above.
    Saw something from flooding in the UK where, rather than sandbags, someone had protected the ground floor from water ingress, by adding a seal and barrier at entrances which they built up as water level increased.
    Id move the white goods out of the way too or fit them at a higher level, where possible, its work but if it saves having to replace previously fully functional goods.
    Dont think Id consider using carpet as a floor covering in somewhere susceptible to flooding till I had some kind of barrier in place that I knew worked. If you can keep the dirty water out then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

cerastes wrote: »
    why would the wiring need to be redone? replacing certain parts, but re-wiring? is that necessary?

Corroded contacts on wall points and junction boxes. Since you have no real idea how a place was wired, the best option is to rip it all up and redo it.
    cerastes wrote: »
    As for redoing the rest, while avoiding a property prone to flooding would be best, there must be measures a property owner can implement to limit the effects of flooding?
    Depending on whether its a solid floor or a suspended wooden floor on the ground floor, might change things.
    Would plastered walls instead of plasterboard make a difference? or a horizontal separation between the level that might be flooded and above.
    Saw something from flooding in the UK where, rather than sandbags, someone had protected the ground floor from water ingress, by adding a seal and barrier at entrances which they built up as water level increased.
    Id move the white goods out of the way too or fit them at a higher level, where possible, its work but if it saves having to replace previously fully functional goods.
    Dont think Id consider using carpet as a floor covering in somewhere susceptible to flooding till I had some kind of barrier in place that I knew worked. If you can keep the dirty water out then

Waterproof tiling up to flood levels, waterproof barriers over the doorways, electrics and plumbing through the ceilings and down the walls, higher sockets then normal. Avoid Stud walls, hollow bricks and ground level plumbing attached to sewage systems.

If you can, demolish the house and build it raised on supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Billyum

I should probably mention that there are no stud walls in the house and the floors down stairs are all tiled. Also as regards moving, I would have no problem moving out except Im leaving cork in a few months. 90% of landlords want a minimum 1 year lease, so when you tell them you only want the house for five months they dont want to know you, and if you dont mention it they always ask you, in which case id have to lie, which opens a whole other can of worms. Literally nobody wants you for such a short time. And if you go down the whole PRTB route there is no guarantee that you will win... and if you take a case against your landlord they will probably **** you out on the street (albeit with 28 days notice). Rendering me homeless.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Look OP you came here for advice. If you're willing to accept your cowboy landlord not caring about his tenants and stay there in a festering house and risk your health then that's your decision, but there are plenty of short leases available, and in any case the landlord should be providing you with alternative accommodation while repairs are carried out.

Even if you're leaving, what about the people who move in next being told it never floods? The place will be reeking in the warmer weather. Nobody should be living in that house right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Not trying to hijack this thread but if an apartment was flooded due to negligence by the tenant eg water left running, would the landlord be expected to cover the repairs? I understand this isn't the case with the OP and am just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I should probably mention that there are no stud walls in the house and the floors down stairs are all tiled. Also as regards moving, I would have no problem moving out except Im leaving cork in a few months. 90% of landlords want a minimum 1 year lease, so when you tell them you only want the house for five months they dont want to know you, and if you dont mention it they always ask you, in which case id have to lie, which opens a whole other can of worms. Literally nobody wants you for such a short time. And if you go down the whole PRTB route there is no guarantee that you will win... and if you take a case against your landlord they will probably **** you out on the street (albeit with 28 days notice). Rendering me homeless.......

It should be possible to get a 6 month lease with some negotiating (maybe sweeten the deal by offering a few quid more a month). Personally Id sooner sacrifice a month of rent than continue living in a house that is potentially hazardous to my health.

Its also possible to reassign the remainder of a lease; as you say its not always easy to find a short term letting so it might not be that hard to find someone who is willing to take on the 6-7 months remaining of your 1 year lease if it comes to that. Especially if you live in a decent rental area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

cmssjone wrote: »
    Not trying to hijack this thread but if an apartment was flooded due to negligence by the tenant eg water left running, would the landlord be expected to cover the repairs? I understand this isn't the case with the OP and am just curious.

If the landlord can prove that the tenant caused the damage then yes the tenant would be responsible.

Advertisement