Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat hair everywhere

• 06-02-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi

My lovely 7 month old cat started shedding a lot of hair about a month ago. He's a domestic shorthair and I didnt notice much hair at all until new years.

I love him to bits but I'm getting a bit itchy from all the hair around my bedsheets, pillows, my clothes, couch, basically everywhere!

I'm just wondering what is the best way to deal with all the cat hair? I dont use a vaccuum cleaner for a personal reason but is it the only way to deal with it? If I were to get a hoover, would a handheld one do or should I just get a big one?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Big one that's got very good sucking power (i.e. Miele S series or similar with a good air filter) combined with sticky rollers and brushing your cat down regularly (at least weekly) with a furminator or one of it's clones. You'll be surprised how much hair comes out (usually enough for another cat!). Starting with the last two if you don't want to go vacuum cleaner directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Also add some salmon oil to your cat food.. this will help reduce some of the shedding. It has worked a treat with my dog.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/hair_skin/more_skin_and_coat_supplements/139892

One tea spoon a day should do. I give my dog a table spoon etc and it helps alot.

OR once per week add in his food a tin of sardines in olive oil... this too will help with the shedding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Here's the last thread regarding vacuum cleaners and the second oldest; I still love my Miele S8 but others swears by other brands as well. The key thing though is not to skimp on it because you'll end up with a vacuum cleaner not suitable for the job which is only annoying and make things take that much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

Thanks so much! Wow I didnt know you needed a hoover of that spec - I was thinking more of something around 60 quid - something I can get from Argos.

He doesn't normally shed much but he grooms constantly :-) and whenever he does, there's loads of hair left over where he was sitting or lying down. I do use sticky rollers whenever I can but there's so much you can pick with the roller!!! I tried brushing him too but he likes it for about 2 minutes and then starts biting me! :-(

I will defo try to salmon oil and more fish

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I find a furminator great as it lifts the dead hair from underneath their coats. Shop around though as the price can vary.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_care_grooming/cat_brushes_combs/metal_combs/291302

On the hoovers side I have a miele cat/dog and i find it great. It has a turbo brush that would nearly lift the carpet. Expensive but worth it.
    http://www.currys.ie/product/miele-s6220-cat-and-dog-cylinder-vacuum-cleaner-red/306882/327

I also have a Dyson DC34 animal handheld and its great for the quick touchups. It only runs for 15mins on a charge so might not suit if you've a big place.
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/DYSON-DC34-Animal-Handheld-Vacuum-Cleaner-Iron-and-Purple/310335/328

• Advertisement

Hmm so maybe I should consider investing a bit more and get the Miele one! :P

Have you tried a grooming glove?

He will think your petting him maybe? its worth a shot!

http://www.petshoponline.ie/grooming-glove

http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Single_Dog_Grooming_Glove.html

:D

JaneeMack wrote: »
    Thanks so much! Wow I didnt know you needed a hoover of that spec - I was thinking more of something around 60 quid - something I can get from Argos.
    Would honestly not recommend it; you'll leave a lot of hair lying around (then again I got 4 cats at the moment so I may be biased :P ).
    He doesn't normally shed much but he grooms constantly :-) and whenever he does, there's loads of hair left over where he was sitting or lying down. I do use sticky rollers whenever I can but there's so much you can pick with the roller!!! I tried brushing him too but he likes it for about 2 minutes and then starts biting me! :-(.
    Petting induced aggression; perfectly normal. Try playing with him first to exhaust him and once asleep you should be able to brush much easier. Alternatively start smaller (doing head only) rather then full body swipes and do small areas at a time to reduce it.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Have you tried a grooming glove?

He will think your petting him maybe? its worth a shot!

http://www.petshoponline.ie/grooming-glove

http://www.pet-bliss.ie/acatalog/Single_Dog_Grooming_Glove.html

:D

Haha this is too funny - Where does the hair go once it gets loose? Does it get stuck in the palm of the glove?

JaneeMack wrote: »
    Haha this is too funny - Where does the hair go once it gets loose? Does it get stuck in the palm of the glove?
    It's stuck to the glove or hanging losely on the cat as fluff; likely to introduce petting aggression though from my experience :)

• Advertisement

Nody wrote: »
    It's stuck to the glove or hanging losely on the cat as fluff; likely to introduce petting aggression though from my experience :)

Really? would have never thought that!

Nody wrote: »

:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Short haired cats can still develop mats in their undercoat, so it's good idea to get them used to brushing too. I use a small wire brush for this and you'd be astonished at how much comes out. It seems to be predominantly this kind of soft undercoat hair that I find on all our cushions, quilt covers, chairs and throws etc. One of our cats is prone to matting around her back legs where she can't reach very well due to an old injury, and the mats just make her very cranky so we have to grab her and go over these parts quite regularly to keep them under control. She hates it and hisses and tries to scratch us, but we just persevere. She gets really ratty and storms off, but within 2 minutes has forgotten all about it and is back on my lap purring. Thank god cats have short memories :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We also have one of those gloves .. we only have to get it out and the cat to see it and she's off like a rocket under the bed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I recommend getting a Zoom Groom - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_care_grooming/cat_brushes_combs/rubber_brushes/139270 Pet shops usually sell these too. My cat hates grooming gloves and isn't keen on regular brushes either, but she tolerates this thing. It gets quite a lot of hair out, I use it once a week or every two weeks. Apart from that I just vaccuum regularly, we just have a regular vaccuum cleaner, but we only have carpet on the stairs and landing, and laminate or tiles everywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My cats hated the Furminator, grooming glove and the zoom brush too. I just went back to using the slicker brush and nab them for a quick brush whenever I can. I use a Miele vacuum hoover and find it great. Another quick way is to put on a rubber glove, wet it and run the glove over anywhere you want to remove fur from, it works really well, especially from cat beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

My cats hated the Furminator, grooming glove and the zoom brush too. I just went back to using the slicker brush and nab them for a quick brush whenever I can. I use a Miele vacuum hoover and find it great. Another quick way is to put on a rubber glove, wet it and run the glove over anywhere you want to remove fur from, it works really well, especially from cat beds.

Yes, I've found the quick 'once over' with damp rubber gloves works well - also, some cats don't like the normal cat grooming brushes so I've found that a baby's hair brush is so gentle that they hardly notice that they're being brushed and not petted! I've also got a furminator that I usually get to use, unscathed, for about twenty seconds per cat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

problem solved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I use a grooming glove on the cat and she LOVES it. She arches up into it, follows my hand and pushes against it, offers all bits of herself to it, purr city!!

Tried this last night - did wonders!! It rubs down all the loose hair miraculously and you can't imagine how much hair fell off!!!! :O :O :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I expected to see that cat smoking a cigarette by the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Emilyjane14

My cat is not tolerant of brushing and I hate the hairball dilemma. I have tried many types of brushes but the only thing that really works is called ZOOMGROOM. It is made rubber. My problem is how do you get a cat to tolerate it for longer before he decides to scrape with the paw? He absolutely hates the slicker brush.
    My fellow will put up with it for barely a minute or two so I have to keep returning with it.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My cat is not tolerant of brushing and I hate the hairball dilemma. I have tried many types of brushes but the only thing that really works is called ZOOMGROOM. It is made rubber. My problem is how do you get a cat to tolerate it for longer before he decides to scrape with the paw? He absolutely hates the slicker brush.
    My fellow will put up with it for barely a minute or two so I have to keep returning with it.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.
    It might sound nuts, but you could try petting him while you wear a damp rubber glove, not dripping wet just damp, it works really well for taking fur off furniture and bedding and he might tolerate the glove, especially if there are some food treats to distract him, worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Our little feline HATES being brushed and sits growling and sticking her claws in until she loses it completely and starts biting... And she's normally so sweet!

I got our cat a "Pet Me" silicone brush after seeing a local dog groomer put up a picture of them on her facebook page as something she stocks. So went in and figured I'd try it and see if it got a better response than previous attempts...

It works! :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=523867354348793&set=pb.439240976144765.-2207520000.1391987746.&type=3&theater

The cat LOVES being brushed with it. It has several features like soft massage and deep massage and cleaning and then a hair-pick-up side of it as well. The trick is to follow the instructions and make sure it's rinsed under warm water before grooming (leave it wet, not sopping wet but definitely wet) and it glides smoothly through picking up loose hair without pulling or hurting.

The bonus is that it cleans up hair from clothes and furniture incredibly well.

Strongly recommend getting one. Our cat would run if she saw any other brush coming her way but starts purring and comes over when she sees this (provided she's in a good mood, if she's grumpy she's grumpy and needs her space :P )

Oh and don't worry about the sudden hair appearance - ours is molting at the moment as well.

Advertisement