Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New track "Seventeen"

Options
  • 06-02-2014 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Would appreciate any comments on the mix here.

http://soundcloud.com/m-a-whelan/seventeen

- Drums are Superior Drummer / vDrums
    - Acoustic guitar is DI + mic blend
    - Electrics are mic'd amp blended with DI via Amplitube
    - Bass is DI via Ampiltube

I used various plug-ins on the mix, but mainly the waves CLA signature stuff on vocals, drums & guitars.

I know my voice is not the greatest / most dynamic, so I'd appreciate any advice on lifting the vox in the mix.

As usual, all feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

Don't have headphones to hand so can't listen, but check out the latest ITL over at Pensado's Place for some tips on getting vocals to cut.
    To sum up: parallel compression/distortion.
    Will give a listen when I get a chance and get back to you Mark...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

Had a listen.
    Vocal is too clean.
    Try some parallel compression and blend that in, try some short slap delays to get it to sit back into the mix, as well as some plate verb (both on 100% wet buses so you can eq the verb to get rid of any unwanted high end or additional mud).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Thx Tony. Will tweak the vox mix tonight - totally agree with your comment about it being too clean & dry

Finally got around to working on this last night. Here's the updated mix: https://soundcloud.com/m-a-whelan/seventeen-mix-2

Fitz - you were spot on with the vox. I've re-done them here with new compressors & added a Waves verb. I think it sounds much better now.

Also, DaDumTish suggested the cymbals were a bit harsh & he was spot on too. I've toned them down just a tad & I think they sit much better now.

Thanks for the feedback folks. I hope to post up a new song over the week-end & will be seeking words of wisdom again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i like this - think the snare / kick could do with more beef , and the bass a touch more grind , but it sounds balanced and smooth .

• Advertisement

DaDumTish wrote: »
    i like this - think the snare / kick could do with more beef , and the bass a touch more grind , but it sounds balanced and smooth .

Cheers. Yip, agree re snare / kick beef. Bass is quite clean alright - I was after a simple poppy sound overall. I might go back & add a bit of overdrive to dirty it up.

Advertisement