Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHICH TYPE LAUREL HEDGE

• 06-02-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Ive decided on planting a laurel hedge across the front of my garden.im just undecided on which type to go for.i see alot of people go for the cherry(common) laurel .i really like the ''etna'' variety and ''spotted'' type.which variety is the fastest growing and hardiest.im living inland in meath which gets a good bit frost.Ground soil is ok,reasonably free draining.would the etna and spotted variety grow up to 2metres and above.i suppose what im saying is i want the fastest growing variety but with a bit more interest than the plain cherry style.Also there are so many nurseries and ads on donedeal its hard to know wheres the best place to buy a large quantity and good quality is around my area.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

Hi, I would go with the Etna if I were you as it's hardy and creates a good hedge. There's also Portuguese laurel which has a lovely shape. http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=1543

Is the area you're planting large?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

Tks Pinky,its over 100 feet so farely large.im just concerned about growth rate and height of etna and portuguese,heard it would take a while to get up to 2metres

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

bazbrady wrote: »
    Tks Pinky,its over 100 feet so farely large.im just concerned about growth rate and height of etna and portuguese,heard it would take a while to get up to 2metres

Prunus rotundifolia is a good fast growing laurel. Would you be looking for whips or rootball? Rootball would definitely be the way to go as you get a good big plant.

definitely rootball or potted,not interested in bareroot takes too long to get going,i will need it growing straight away..any suggestions on good laurel nurseries around leinster..alot on donedeal the pics show 2 litre pots but they seem too small for the pots there in if you know what i mean..tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

One of the best growing, stylish and easily managed evergreen hedge for an urban garden location is Prunus Lusitanica Angustufolia (Portugese Laurel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

As said before Portugese Laurel is lovely. The leaf shape and colour is beautiful and you have the bonus of reddish stems on new growth.

tks guys,yes I have to say I love portugese laurel but from most I have seen in urban areas they don't grow very tall,,im looking to get mine growing fast and keep trimmed around 2 metres...most portugese ive seen just doesn't look very tall but is much more attractive than standard common laurel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

tks guys,yes I have to say I love portugese laurel but from most I have seen in urban areas they don't grow very tall,,im looking to get mine growing fast and keep trimmed around 2 metres...most portugese ive seen just doesn't look very tall but is much more attractive than standard common laurel.

It obviously depends on where you've been looking? We regularly plant 1.8 - 2.0m+ Tall and sometimes even 3.0m+. At these heights, the plants are expensive but give superb and immediate results, which is why you will often see many smaller sizes used usually because of budget constraints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Ive decided on planting a laurel hedge across the front of my garden.im just undecided on which type to go for.i see alot of people go for the cherry(common) laurel .i really like the ''etna'' variety and ''spotted'' type.which variety is the fastest growing and hardiest.im living inland in meath which gets a good bit frost.Ground soil is ok,reasonably free draining.would the etna and spotted variety grow up to 2metres and above.i suppose what im saying is i want the fastest growing variety but with a bit more interest than the plain cherry style.Also there are so many nurseries and ads on donedeal its hard to know wheres the best place to buy a large quantity and good quality is around my area.:)

I live in Meath and had no trouble with frost and cherry laurel.
    I bought mine for €4 each, 2 foot high, within 3 years there were 6ft.

Down to personal taste, but I think the cherry laurel is lovely.

You could also look at viburnum tinus or Euonymus fortune

Thanks Sonnenblumen ive never seen portugese this high ,i would love them but at over 100 feet long my area would prob work out too dear using 2 foot potted compared to cherry laurel.tks sgt pepper 64 any recommendations on good nurseries in meath?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thanks Sonnenblumen ive never seen portugese this high ,i would love them but at over 100 feet long my area would prob work out too dear using 2 foot potted compared to cherry laurel.tks sgt pepper 64 any recommendations on good nurseries in meath?

http://www.ashbrooklandscaping.com/
    Ashbrook is good for trees and shrubs

http://pergolanurseries.ie/index.html
    Nice one in Cavan

http://ratoathgardencentre.ie/

Plantagen
    Dunboyne Meath Co. Meath

Ashbrook are very good

Advertisement