Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why so many huskies being rehomed?

2»

Comments

You probably have the breeds the right way around. Collies are not good family pets, particularly if they've been from working lines and discarded as not being good enough, it doesn't take the work drive out of them, they need a huge amount of physical and mental stimulation or they can get so, so frustrated. I've watched a good few collies do their 'herding' on other dogs, children, horses on the beach etc. A couple have been short tempered enough to nip at the ankles of other dogs to keep them in line. Only yesterday I met a woman walking one and we stopped for a brief chat and within a couple of seconds her collie was herding up my gang.

With this guy a Lab would do more damage around the house. Any growing pup will do the same and a Lab is bigger to do more :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

With this guy a Lab would do more damage around the house. Any growing pup will do the same and a Lab is bigger to do more :P

I think you missed my point. The size doesn't really matter, the temperament of the dog is key to ensuring that it will make a good family pet. The border collie is a highly intelligent dog (it has been noted by many experts that the border collie is THE most intelligent of all breeds) and responds exceptionally well to training. But if the work isn't put in, the collies energy turns to frustration very very quickly and can do just as much damage as a lab, if not more. IMO a well bred lab would have a far higher threshold for children in a household, a collie - if left to train itself and work out it's own energy - will end up with a good chance of nipping and biting at children with the potential to do serious physical damage.

While a lab might be physically bigger, it will actually need a very small amount of exercise as a pup. As a large breed, care needs to be taken to ensure that overwalking and overexertion don't lead to issues such as hip dysplasia down the line. Other stimulation can come from training and game playing.

Advertisement