Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Season - Impact of Garth Brooks Concerts

• 06-02-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Normally the All Ireland Football quarter finals are played as two double headers on the August Bank Holiday weekend. There is now only 4 days between the last concert and the Saturday of the BH weekend. Will the pitch be ready in time?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Apparently the concert won't have much of an impact on the pitch

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/garth-brooks-turns-croker-cash-flow-into-flood-257597.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Just wait for the week long heavy rain shower which will make **** of the pitch, covered or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Very unlikely that we'll have a week's rain in the Dublin area. Has'nt happened for years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

dont they just take up the whole grass and pitch anyway and store it off site? thought thats what they did for U2 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

U2 had a massive stage in the middle of the pitch though - I assume Garth will go for the more traditional stage on the hill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

wasnt there less time between the concerts in 09 and the matches the following weekend? I remember Meath and Mayo being on before the Kilkenny Waterford hurling semi and it seemed fine for them games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

rpurfield wrote: »
    wasnt there less time between the concerts in 09 and the matches the following weekend? I remember Meath and Mayo being on before the Kilkenny Waterford hurling semi and it seemed fine for them games.

Surface didn't look great tbh

We won that day though so no complaints :)

vosjf4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The surface didnt look great, but I remember at the time the players saying it was absolutely fine to play on when you were down there.

Great day for us, that that mayo match, along with the Kilkenny-Tipp minor match and the Waterford-Kilkenny Hurling match, it was great value for a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

iDave wrote: »
    Surface didn't look great tbh

We won that day though so no complaints :)

vosjf4.jpg

We lost that day, I think the surface was a disgrace.

The players said it was fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

blue note wrote: »
    We lost that day, I think the surface was a disgrace.

The players said it was fine though.

Was the surface sh1t in 08 too? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

yeah i ment the playing of the surface as opposed to the look of it if you get me. The residents are kicking up over the amount of concerts now too, heard them on the radio talking about injunctions and all sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Past30Now wrote: »
    Normally the All Ireland Football quarter finals are played as two double headers on the August Bank Holiday weekend. There is now only 4 days between the last concert and the Saturday of the BH weekend. Will the pitch be ready in time?

The AIQFs aren't going to be played as two double headers on one weekend this year regardless of any number of Garth Brooks concerts.

If they could book up 12 of them I'd be completely delighted. The GAA is the biggest winner in all this apart from Brooks himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was trying to remember if it was Brooks or U2 in the late 90's that played Croker and it rained heavily for a few days beforehand.

They drove the stage trucks up the center of the pitch from the Cusack/Canal end, built the stages and drove out, had the concerts, dismantled the stage and drove back in and out across the pitch and destroyed the pitch for about 18 months.

Ever since then, the GAA have become far smarter in staging concerts and minding the pitch so doubt they'll mess this up as they're really gunning for a American Football game.

Advertisement