Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a better (online) mousetrap

Options
  • 06-02-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

I have an idea for an online business, it's got fairly broad appeal & is in the B2B rather than B2C sector.

There's about ten competitors there right now & all appear to be surviving.

The US is the main target market for this, but I'll take money where I can get it.

All the various competitor sites charge a subscription price (monthly or annual with a discount for upfront). They all do pretty much the same thing with maybe one or two differences between them (additional service). Mine likewise will also have an additional service which as far as I can see isn't existing anywhere (I was just going to build the site based around this, but seeing the competition has caused me to reconsider).

I was thinking of taking the major difference in each site & incorporating it into mine, along with my own difference & then pitching it at the same price to users (Music Industry).

It's aimed at the unsigned artist market & is not intended to be for the likes of major artists, I'm not going up against CD Baby or iTunes, nor am I intending on selling music, it's purely about the management side of things.

Is it possible to build a better mousetrap ? Nobody would go up against the likes of Facebook/Amazon/Hotmail etc (not that I would either).

But if there's already about ten sites competing for the same space, is it worth my while ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MoneyCrowd

In general I would say go for it but sometimes it's a lot of work to find out that something doesn't work.

What's the minimum you can do to test the market?

If you can sum up your sites unique-ness in one line then set up a brochure website and run some google ads to check traffic levels.

Advertisement