Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric consumption each room?

Options
  • 06-02-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

This might sound like a daft idea or even done before but its been in my head the last few days.

Is there many houses that have an individual electricity meter for each room throughout the house. I know you would still have your meter outside but I think it would prove how much electricity each room uses.

Ideally it would only be installed in new builds as there would be alot more wiring involved.

Has anyone seen it working before or am I dreaming?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Johntm wrote: »
    This might sound like a daft idea or even done before but its been in my head the last few days.

Is there many houses that have an individual electricity meter for each room throughout the house. I know you would still have your meter outside but I think it would prove how much electricity each room uses.

Ideally it would only be installed in new builds as there would be alot more wiring involved.

Has anyone seen it working before or am I dreaming?

No its a daft idea unless the rooms were rented out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No its a daft idea unless the rooms were rented out

Easiest and best thing to do is to fit a meter to each MCB. I design and build EMS for a living. I've always being tempted to fit a pulse meter beside each MCB and take it into one if our dataloggers but always loss the motivation when it comes to it ;)

Just as a FYI this is the type meter i would use: http://www.advenso.be/echo_files/3531-xx-srcBestand_2.pdf

The room would incorporate a lighting load and may also include a heating source. So 3 or 4 possible separate circuits

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

Ye seen them plug in meters, but as said everything could be incorporated into the wiring and then passed through the meter on a wall. Would it be that much more expensive?

• Advertisement

Use a plug board, and calculate the lights if you want to keep it simple.

Use a plug board, and calculate the lights if you want to keep it simple.

I never like making up data. Its hard to get exact run times of lights. I'd prefer yo measure it

Advertisement