Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oncoming cars flashing you?

• 06-02-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

New enough to the motorbike riding game. I'm getting a lot fo cars flashing me as I approach. I think my road position is good, always keep left of centre as much as possible. My lights are working, dont have the beams on or anything.

Is this behavious normal for drivers?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I find some bikes headlights are blinding. Was never sure was it due to poorly aligned lights, high beams on, or me being a picky bastard. Have you checked the alignment of your lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

MarkR wrote: »
    I find some bikes headlights are blinding. Was never sure was it due to poorly aligned lights, high beams on, or me being a picky bastard. Have you checked the alignment of your lights?

My own visual check is all I've done, they look okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I get that a lot and have put it down to people thinking my 2 headlights should be on and are giving me a friendly "your head light is out" flash...

(cbr600rr, always on headlight on one side, full beam headlight on other/both)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

when I'm in the cage sometimes it looks like a bikes are flashing a headlight on and off, when the are really just going over a few bumps.
    does it always happen on the same part of the same roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Get the height checked properly, with you sitting on the bike. Any Haynes manual will explain how to do it.

'c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Headlight blinding would be the only thing i can think of. maybe try checking them again by pointing at wide wall and see if the left hand side where oncoming traffic would normally be is below bonnet height or so.
    I do find that some motor cycles will be very blinding if they are following me, but very few.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

If its at night, id say its mostly because other people thing your a car with a light missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

At least they certainly wont miss you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Never happens to me, it's probably the alignment of your lights.

I'll have another look at the lights

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Johntm wrote: »
    If its at night, id say its mostly because other people thing your a car with a light missing.
    Thats it. I do plenty of long spins after dark and have gotten this on every bike I've had.

Not quite sure why peoples reaction to a missing headlight is to blind the driver though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Never happens to me either on my last bike or my current bike. I would deffoget the alignment checked if it BOTHERS you. If it doesn't fcuk them cagers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Never happens me either, has to be your lights. Notice a few bikes with high dipped beams when I'm in the car too, it is annoying. Way more cars have dodgy lights than bikes though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Maybe there's a really popular guy who drives around on a similar bike and everyone thinks you are him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

What type of bike do you have ??
    Is it a naked or faired model ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

when your checking the alignment of the light don't forget that the light will probably point further up while you're sitting on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Is yer bike a euro (not uk) import maybe.....??....lights set up for the opposite side..??

Faired. Its actually a maxi scooter, burgman 250. Dont think its an import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Don't worry it's just a friendly car driver letting you know he can see you. Give him a friendly flash of your high beams back to say "thanks chap" and be on your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Drive up to a wall/door and stop about 10 feet away...look what way the low beam is..there should be a definiate line of light, with an angled up portion on the left side above the line.....if the light is all one blob in the middle, the high and low beam connectors might be mixed up assuming you have 2 bulbs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Johntm wrote: »

^^^^^^this.

I have had cars come to an almost complete stop thinking I'm sort of looney one-eyed monster in a car. Only in the last second does it become obvious it's a bike.

Must be some effin' and blindin' done in the car when I pass !!

Not just us: the car guys are noticing this too: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87990702

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I don't think it's likely a Burgman has been lowered. Is the rear shock tired and sagging or badly adjusted. (I don't know how much adj you have on Bman) Are you .. ahem.. "big-boned"?
    Is the headlight or bulb loose?

Usually there are two adj screws for h/light alignment; one for horizontal, one for vertical. Have a look here

I don't buy the theory that drivers think you're one-eyed. Maybe the odd time but not as often as you say this is happening.
    Maybe wear a hi-viz to test the theory but I'd certainly check the alignment too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

What's your road positioning like, hanging to either side could make cagers think you're another one eyed jack (cage missing a light).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I see a lot of scooters with low tyre pressure especially the rear, check that too.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I used to get it all the time from an An Post van, weird

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Or it could be that your driving to fast and the person in the car is an off duty cop telling you to slow down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Sometimes I flash a bike if the road they are about to go down has a few 'hello china' potholes.

Are they warning you of a dodgy road, or are they doing it all the time??

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

is your bike or lid common?
    maybe they think they know you

Advertisement