Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Outside Car Cover

Options
  • 06-02-2014 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

I have lost garage storage for one of my classic mercs for a few months. It has some rust spots that i am worrying about. Just wondering if its worth getting a waterproof car cover. Something around the 100 euro mark. I have a dehumidifier aswell is it worth putting inside the car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

If it has rust already then the only way to stop it is to cut it out and replace with new metal, A cover might help but it wont stop it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ive use a stormforce cover. Got it around 5 years ago. The aerial ripped the cover though last year. I taped over it with gaffer tape and bought a second cover and put it over that. I have to say, it works a treat. Just make sure you leave the window open a little, to let air get into the car. Otherwise itll be nice and mouldy! Ive been using it, as I said, for 5 years.

www.carcoversireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Get a tarpaulin 6x3m about 20e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

vinnie13 wrote: »
    Get a tarpaulin 6x3m about 20e

DON'T do this. You need a cover that can breath and is meant to be for a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Unless your car is leaking into the interior, I wouldn't bother with any cover.
    Covers won't keep the damp out and we have lots of damp in Ireland:(.
    Give the car a good wash and treat the rust with rust remover and leave it on for protection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

sadly there is a leak into the interior. i fixed up all the rust spots i could with primar a while back but interior and boot seem to be getting lots of water. i picked up a waterproof car cover from halfords todayhttp://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_895467_langId_-1_categoryId_212446 and ran a lead out and put the dehumidifier inside.

in a few months i should have garage space again hopefully.

Advertisement