Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite saddle

Options
  • 06-02-2014 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys just wondering what's your favourite saddles and why? I personally like the ideal and jefferies saddles, I find some others to deep and love the soft leather on the falcon. Please share your experience :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Cvs wrote: »
    Hi guys just wondering what's your favourite saddles and why? I personally like the ideal and jefferies saddles, I find some others to deep and love the soft leather on the falcon. Please share your experience :)

I have a jeffries close contact and i love it. As it fitted me n horse so well

However sold my two horses last week so it wont b used for a while !

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Had a loan of an Albion SLK Ultima for a week. It was incredible, loved it but couldn't justify the price to myself. Really helped my position and horse responded very well, but just couldn't part with the cash

Would love to try an Albion jumping saddle on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I have a Kiefer and I love it. If I was to change, I'd probably go for a Stubben

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I love my Albion Tzar. It's like sitting in an armchair :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

An old Berneys GP, low cantle so I can get my leg over the back easily. Not too heavy either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 horseworldire

Barnsby all the way must comfy saddle ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cvs

I rode in an Antares today and all I can say is wow, it felt like I was glued to the saddle yet with so much freedom, and as for comfort, pure luxury. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

Ride in an Antares, and everything else feels like sh1t!

wouldn't change mine for anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cvs

mothoin wrote: »

Yes that is very true, I now have one permanently in my yard :)

Devoucouxs are just as nice and have much sturdier trees. Lots of broken Antares floating around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Had a Stubben Siegfried CS

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Had a Stubben Siegfried II for a few years and I adored it, always felt really safe and secure with the big knee rolls and the thigh blocks. Had to change it when I bought a new horse as it didn't fit him and interestingly when I got the saddle fitter out she told me that I'm actually the wrong build for a Stubben; and I quote - they are built for " tall, leggy Germans" :) Don't know how true that is but thought it was interesting nonetheless.

Anyway, I decided to move away from Stubben and bought the new Berney's Olympic monoflap close contact jumping saddle. Apparently it is modeled on the similar Antares version, but it is absolutely unbelievable; I love it. Decided to be nice to my self and got the biomex orthopaedic seat on it as well - I went jumping in it the day after I bought it and there was no breaking in time needed - it really is a lovely lovely saddle. Really secure, and I really like the fact that with the monoflap I feel like there is not a lot between me and the horse - which is brilliant on a young wobbly horse who needs clear and precise aids, as my lad was at the time!!

Another big thing about the saddle was the fact that I love dealing with the staff at Berney's - they have all the time in the world to help you with your queries; to me, a brand new saddle was a VERY big purchase and not to be taken lightly; I must have been there for over an hour sitting in saddles and asking the most random questions.

elusiveguy wrote: »
    Devoucouxs are just as nice and have much sturdier trees. Lots of broken Antares floating around

And where did you draw this conclusion from? Have your any proof to back up your statement?

Having worked in yards that have used both makes, where there was maybe ten horses per rider to be done each day, I can say from experience that Antares is the harder wearing, longer lasting make!

I am lucky enough to get a new Antares every year, but my first one was a few years old, and must be nearly ten years old, and I know the person who has it now, and it is still going strong!

As for berneys, the people are great, but their saddles sat in the past for too long, delighted to see they are advancing their designs, hopefully they will come on a par with the french saddle makers some day!

And where did you draw this conclusion from? Have your any proof to back up your statement?

From handling broken Antares while looking to buy. Also mentioned it while speaking to someone who handles a lot more saddles than most people and they had had similar experiences

elusiveguy wrote: »
    From handling broken Antares while looking to buy. Also mentioned it while speaking to someone who handles a lot more saddles than most people and they had had similar experiences

I really don't want to nitpick, but how many antares to devoucoux saddles did you encounter in your search? how many where broken? and also what was the cause of the breakage, for both brands?

and hearsay? sorry but i call bullsh*t!

Advertisement