Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garden starting to slide!!

• 06-02-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,we have a very marshy garden and did some drainage work on it last year.our problem now is our garden connects to the neighbours and is separated by a fence. Our house is on higher ground than the neighbours, they dug out their garden 2/3 years ago but never built a retaining wall.there is a 2 foot drop between our garden and theres now.we noticed last year that the garden by the fence was starting to slide and gaps were appearing under the fence.i mentioned it to the neighbour and they said they wud put wall up but it hasnt happened.

I was in the garden a few days ago and with all the rain over the winter i see the soil has really dropped and there is a big gap under sections off the fence.

I want to get someone out to assess this as if this is gonna start to slide im worried it will affect the foundations off the house. Can anyone advise who would be the best person to get to assess this problem please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Tough one. Try reminding the neighbours? If you go down the adversarial route you could have strife for as long as you or they live there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'Looks like you could be digging out your garden again after all this rain, if you get the materials I could help you build a retaining wall'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi any photos of the problem garden jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi any photos of the problem garden jack

+1

The best solution may be to build a retaining wall yourself. Though it sounds like this would have been their responsibility, for your own peace of mind (and to keep the peace), maybe just build one yourself just to your side of the boundary.

Advertisement