Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bosch - Amazon Studios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,559 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's not perfect.

It is very very good though.

It really did have the feel of the books each episode being a chapter.

I really enjoyed it and it nailed most of the characters from the book for me.

Titus Welliver doesn't look how most of us pictured Bosch but he does have Bosch's inner demons nailed for me.

Kiz, Edgar, Billets, Irving all worked, as did Los Angeles.

Eleanor & Maddie also worked for me.

Bosch's House and view from it was also how I pictured it.

Jazz

I would have liked Brasher
    to go the way she did in the books.

I must say I am really hoping and waiting for season 2 even if it is a year away.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Titus Welliver doesn't look how most of us pictured Bosch but he does have Bosch's inner demons nailed for me.

I saw a fan pic on Tumblr of how they imagined Bosch to look and it's exactly how I thought he was going to look.

tumblr_n8gk7m8uHK1rqkw62o1_r1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Planning on binging this as soon as I get over the lovey dovey stuff to keep the OH happy the day that's in it, looks good and the reviews seem largely positive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Got up to episode 5 today. Really enjoying it so far. I have read some of the books before and have to agree with other posters that I thought Bosch would look different. Looking forward to finishing this tomorrow and hoping there will be another series.

Really looking forward to getting into this, was going to binge watch it over the weekend but think I may stretch it out over a few days, maybe do 2 episodes a night starting Monday.

• Advertisement

I've just finished episode four. Nice bit of action in there.

I hate the way Irving talks. Really snappy speech and monotonous sounding.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I saw a fan pic on Tumblr of how they imagined Bosch to look and it's exactly how I thought he was going to look.

tumblr_n8gk7m8uHK1rqkw62o1_r1_1280.jpg

The above image looks like Jim Gordan from Batman, in fact I think it may be copied from one of the comics.

Far as I'm concerned Kurt Russell was born to play Bosch and I always thought that his character in Dark Blue was as close to Bosch as we would get

dark-blue-2002-01-g.jpg

kurt-russell-afi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

theteal wrote: »
    After my panic attack earlier in this thread, it turns out that everything is working fine today. Anyway, just got through the second episode. It's good but something feels a little off. . .can't explain it just yet. The reworking of the 1st episode makes a great improvement over the original pilot.

I skipped straight to episode 2 cos I watch the pilot a few months back, was it much different?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I skipped straight to episode 2 cos I watch the pilot a few months back, was it much different?

Yup, it's different, and better for it.

I stopped last night after episode 3, herself is working nights and I kinda want a non-book fan's perspective to make sure I'm not being blinded by fandom.

Having watched The Wire multiple times I'm having issues with some of the actor choices that I just can't get by. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

theteal wrote: »
    Yup, it's different, and better for it.

I stopped last night after episode 3, herself is working nights and I kinda want a non-book fan's perspective to make sure I'm not being blinded by fandom.

Having watched The Wire multiple times I'm having issues with some of the actor choices that I just can't get by. . .

Must watch the new version of ep1 so.

I'd never heard of Bosch before seeing this thread. I'm really liking the series. Watching Ep 6 at the min.

• Advertisement

So finished watching this series today. Really really enjoyed it. Loved the opening theme music/video.--

Chris Cooper would have been my pick to play Bosch.

Colin Farrell in his True Detective character actually looks quite like how I pictured Bosch.

B9j1EeVIcAAshRB.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bosch. Hasn't a clue what Skype is, but is well aware of Uber. :confused:

Anyhoo, I enjoyed the series. I felt it kind of petered out in the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I don't know what über is I must be old

I enjoyed the series, kept me til the end, 10 episodes was perfect though, enough to tell the story without dragging it out,

Finally started the show tonight and could easily have watched all 10 episodes in one sitting. It is just great TV, up there with Longmire as an example of what the genre can do when there's an emphasis on telling intelligent and adult stories. Bosch is a great character and unlike so many other shows he's surround by equally fascinating ones, this is not some one man show but rather one where the star is surrounded not just by talented actors but characters who could easily upstage the lead.

I'm sure I'll delve into more detail over the coming days but after watching 5 episodes I would go so far as to say that Bosch is a show that could easily evolve into the next The Wire or Breaking Bad. There's so much going on and the way that L.A. is used is superb, it really is a character and those opening titles are just beautiful. They set the tone and mood in such an evocative manner depicting the two sides to each story, the duality of man and so on. It's refreshing to have a show bookended by proper titles, especially ones so damn pretty.

I'm on episode 8 and have just watched the scene in the Church between the priest and the chief. Fackin' hell, it's like watching two robots!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I would go so far as to say that Bosch is a show that could easily evolve into the next The Wire or Breaking Bad.

Not a chance.

I'm impressed with how close they are keeping to the books. City of Bones and Echo Park are publications from the past 15 years. I wonder how far they'll go back, if they do so at all. The first book I read was Trunk Music so I'd like to see them do that. I wonder will they run two books together every season like this one?
    Maddie is at the age now where she'll be going to Hong Kong. I'm assuming Eleanor will find meet her death there like in 9 Dragons.

Who thinks we'll get to see Mickey Haller at some point? It better not be McConaughey again! Can't stand him!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm impressed with how close they are keeping to the books. City of Bones and Echo Park are publications from the past 15 years. I wonder how far they'll go back, if they do so at all. The first book I read was Trunk Music so I'd like to see them do that. I wonder will they run two books together every season like this one?
    Maddie is at the age now where she'll be going to Hong Kong. I'm assuming Eleanor will find meet her death there like in 9 Dragons.

Who thinks we'll get to see Mickey Haller at some point? It better not be McConaughey again! Can't stand him!

He holds the rights for Haller I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

First Bosch book I read was Trunk Music too.

I loved McConaghy in the Lincoln Lawyer. The Brass Verdict was the first novel that had Harry & Mickey working alongside. I'd love to see that done in the series.

• Advertisement

He holds the rights for Haller I think.

Ugh. That makes me so angry!!

Does anyone see Olivia Wilde when they look at Maddie? I think she looks just like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Finished this last night and found it underwhelming in the extreme.

10 episodes felt drawn out for the material they had. Two investigations going at the same time and the more interesting one is like a sideshow and wrapped up at the end as an afterthought.

The serial killer story arc was boring in the extreme, as was the character.

Instantly forgettable and I find it insane that people are comparing it to some of the great TV shows, but thats what opinions are about I suppose and they probably think I`m bonkers with this post.:pac:

Finished up the series last night and really loved it, it's not perfect by any stretch and it is quite familiar but it tells an adult and interesting story in a really great way and never falls back on gratuitous sex or violence in order to appear adult. I found the two ongoing stories really complimented one another and I've seen a lot of criticism of the serial killer story taking precedent but in reality it would. A 20 year old murder is not one that any department will throw resources at, in fact it's the kind of case that few people would ever expect a suspect to be found. That Bosch put so much into it is what makes his character so interesting, he doesn't care about repercussion but much like Walt Longmire, all that matters to him is doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just finished it there, i dont think ive ever watched such a fluid season of tv so quick, im sure there are plenty of shows that are just as fluid, but ive never sat down and watched them in a block,

it was like a 7 and half hour film, plenty of characters all around, enough to keep the story interesting and not dwell to much on any singular character, his relationship with yerone wasn't over done, his interaction with his family were finely balanced, the polictics were played perfectly,

plenty more, but all in all a very well balanced show, not flashy, just done right, id definitely recommend it to anyone who likes detective/cop shows, and even ones who dont,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Enjoyed that, fully deserving of another season. Thought the way both cases finished was a bit underwhelming though, all very abrupt, not sure what I was expecting, but just seemed rushed after 9 shows worth of build up. Still, thoroughly enjoyable.

Enjoyed that, fully deserving of another season. Thought the way both cases finished was a bit underwhelming though, all very abrupt, not sure what I was expecting, but just seemed rushed after 9 shows worth of build up. Still, thoroughly enjoyable.

I really liked how the last episode was an epilogue, it's nice to have a show that is interested in examining the aftermath of a crime and the toll it takes on all involved. I watched the first episode of CSI: Cyber this morning and it's just a glitzy and empty rehash of a dozen other shows and seems more interested in slow motion sequences and odd edits than it is in telling a story. Bosch was all about the mundane nature of police work and as such the slow but meticulous storytelling won't be for everyone. My brother watched a few episodes of it and thoroughly hated it, he thought that it was slow moving and couldn't believe that they didn't catch the bad guy withing the 45 minutes whereas I relish a show that takes it's time to get to it's destination. I do hope we get a second and a third and hell, a tenth series of Bosh as alongside Longmire it's the best procedural to come along in a long ass time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It was good, not great. I can't decide if I would have liked it more or less were I not a fan of the books. Not a fan of Jamie Hector (he'll always be Marlo) as Edgar. Some of it felt a little forced - the record player bit with Maddie made me cringe a bit.

Nitpick - Shouldn't the house have a balcony???

I'm interested to see what comes next

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Season 2 Trailer.

Season 2 drops 11th of March.

• Advertisement

Is this from the book the overlook?

Also Titus Welliver is exactly how I expect Bosch to look and sound!

Advertisement