Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hedging & lawns

• 06-02-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I am in the process of doing bit of gardening round site of a new build..

I was hoping to put in Hedging 85 Meters of double (5 per meter) in a 300mm trench around the site and also put in entrance piers & wall...

The lawns are not in as of yet but I was hoping to sort of get lawns ready by spraying and grading what there (as very un-level) leaving to settle and then in September bring in the topsoil and doing the Lawns..

I have got conflicting advice one person saying I cant do the hedging until the lawns are in and another saying its not a problem to put hedging in first... Can anyone advise please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

barhodgins wrote: »
    Hi,

I am in the process of doing bit of gardening round site of a new build..

I was hoping to put in Hedging 85 Meters of double (5 per meter) in a 300mm trench around the site and also put in entrance piers & wall...

The lawns are not in as of yet but I was hoping to sort of get lawns ready by spraying and grading what there (as very un-level) leaving to settle and then in September bring in the topsoil and doing the Lawns..

I have got conflicting advice one person saying I cant do the hedging until the lawns are in and another saying its not a problem to put hedging in first... Can anyone advise please...

I have got conflicting advice one person saying I cant do the hedging until the lawns are in = a very large dose of BS

another saying its not a problem to put hedging in first = truth

The lawns are not in as of yet but I was hoping to sort of get lawns ready by spraying and grading what there (as very un-level) leaving to settle and then in September bring in the topsoil and doing the Lawns.. wait untill it is dried out, if you go at it now you will damage the soil structure and make it worse. If poss keep it weed free and in summer when its dry and workable level and topsoil in one go

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lavin.ie

If its totally uneven I would wait, that said if you have a good idea what the final level will be (level with surrounding ground?) I would level off by hand as best as possible and plant. This time of the year it is very cheap to buy hedging as they can be purchased bare-rooted. Worst case scenario, you could always lift and re-plant hedge next winter. Contact me if you want more specific advice.
    Regards lavin.ie

Advertisement