Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need help badly with windows 7

• 06-02-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭

i stupidly followed advice on an article and reinstalled a copy of windows 7 thinking i could use the copy of the product key stored on the laptop as i couldn't read the one on the sticker of the case but it doesnt work
    iv called Microsoft and i was told its not there problem to call acer so i called them and also told its not there problem noting they can do
    is there anyway i can get around this problem does anyone know

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Have you tried activating it over the phone? Its an automated system windows generates a batch of 5 number strings you key them in when prompted. The system then reads back a different batch of strings which you key in as they are read out or preferably you write them down, get the system to read them back again and you check you've written them down correctly before keying them in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Have you got the number written down,or we you hoping that windows would find the original one.I you have a windows.old file on your c drive there may be some hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

FSL wrote: »
    Have you tried activating it over the phone? Its an automated system windows generates a batch of 5 number strings you key them in when prompted. The system then reads back a different batch of strings which you key in as they are read out or preferably you write them down, get the system to read them back again and you check you've written them down correctly before keying them in.

that's exactly what fixed it, i had the key that i got from a key finder program it was different to the COA sticker and i couldn't read that as its faded out,
    for some reason it wouldn't give me the option for me to activate over the phone
    a guy last night on my second call to microsoft level 1 support had spent an hour trying to fix it and failed but there this morning level 2 support had it done in 2 min with the phone activation with him taking control of my laptop the option appeared for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

It sounds like you reinstalled a different Windows version than what you had a licence for, most likely you had a licence key for Windows 7 Home Edition and you reinstalled Professional Edition or some other one. Did you get rescue/restore disks with the computer when you bought it? If so, reinstall again using those. If not, Acer should be able to send you some for your PC model, although they may charge you for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

spider_pig wrote: »
    is there anyway i can get around this problem does anyone know

8<

READ THE CHARTER !!!!!

Also did you use a windows 7 disc, instead of the built in Factory Image which can be restored to? Why??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,687 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If possible locate a recovery partition on the machine, it may have been hidden. If not you mayhap be screwed.

And this is definitely the reason why a transferred my COA label from the bottom of my laptop to the underside of the DVD tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    It sounds like you reinstalled a different Windows version than what you had a licence for, most likely you had a licence key for Windows 7 Home Edition and you reinstalled Professional Edition or some other one. Did you get rescue/restore disks with the computer when you bought it? If so, reinstall again using those. If not, Acer should be able to send you some for your PC model, although they may charge you for them.

It was the proper edition alright it's all fixed now
    the key installed in the laptop was different to my coa sticker something got to do with oem version I think
    They guy on tech support entered the key I found and did It over the phone that option would have worked for me but it wasn't giving me the option to do it

I called acer they said the only way they could send me recovery discs was if I had the coa label intact by giving them the key
    I had them my self but somebody threw them away by mistake

Advertisement