Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport dog ireland to budapest

• 06-02-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey everyone

I hope you dont mind me posting this but I really need some advice.

So basically, as the title says, I really want to bring my dog from Ireland to budapest. Im currently living in Hungary and I feel like its the best option as Im here for the next 5 years.

I just have no idea how exactly I can go about this? What steps do i need to follow? How much will it cost? Will an airline take him as a passenger or will he have to go underneath? Hes a shih tzu, so I'd be afraid of him going under as the pressure may be too much for him. Has anyone else taken a dog to mainland europe before?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Get an European Pet Passport, get it vaccinated/wormed/... as required and all is fine.

We go back to mainland Europe at least twice a year with our dog but we use the car so no problem with aerial transport.

We were never checked going to mainland (but I heard it has changed lately), it was the going back to Ireland were you had to be careful.

We were stuck at EuroTunnel once because the bloody vet had forgotten to sign the bloody passport.

Eurotunnel has vet addresses in the vicinity that was more than happy to take 50€ to sign the paper. I suppose it could get more complicated if more than one signature was missing.

I remember that there were some addresses of aerial fret company specialized in animal transport in a thread few weeks/month back.
    But for a shih tzu, you may be able to take it in the cabin if you chose the company wisely (and it would probably be even easier if you were flying first class although it may be less expensive to buy a car in Ireland and dump/sell it when you arrive in Hungary)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

So it seem to be possible.

Air France cabin rules:
    http://www.airfrance.ie/IE/en/common/guidevoyageur/pratique/animal_cabine_airfrance.htm

Lufthansa:
    https://www.lufthansa.com/ie/en/Animals

(and you have flights with them from Dublin to Budapest altough with a stopover)

Advertisement