Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Belfast on march

Options
  • 06-02-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hello guys, I was hoping some of you could give me some infos. Be prepared, there are a lot of questions!
    - What's the cheaper bank account? I would just need a card (visa/mastercard working online) and internet services, possibily an android app.
    - What's the best carrier for smartphones? I saw some interesting offers on 3 but in Italy it has a bad coverage, I wonder if it's the same up there?
    - I'll be joining TeleTech, did you heard anything about this company? Is it worth leaving Italy to come there to join them?
    - What are the neighborhood I should avoid when searching a room to share?
    - On the same subject, what are the best websites to search other than daft?

Thanks in advance!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

-There's no charge for basic current accounts in these parts, so any of them really, depending on which ever bank you prefer.

-Vodafone and O2 I've found are generally the best. 3 have reasonable coverage, but after having experienced their customer "service" I wouldn't be hurrying back to them...

-Never heard of them, sorry.

-You'd want to avoid the rougher spots in east/west Belfast and the interfaces between them. Look on google streetview, if there's lots of flags or murals or suchlike, I wouldn't be moving there! Look for somewhere in Stranmillis, Ormeau Road or Lisburn Road and you won't go wrong!

-No idea, though I doubt there's a lot on daft.ie in Belfast. Gumtree might be useful....

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bahamut88

Thanks! I see you're from Galway! I applied for the EA too, I'm waiting news from them, really. I'd prefer them, wages are also higher on Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Spareroom.co.uk has plenty of house shares, try postcodes BT7 and BT9 (covers Stranmillis and Ormeau).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Belfast mostly a lovely city. Avoid anywhere with flags and/or painted kerbstones of any hew....
    Stanmillis, Lisburn rd and Ormeau rd and you won't go far wrong. Malone if you want to go posh ;)
    Ulster bank is part of RBS so recent probs aside is a good one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Teletech is on duncairn gardens so you should be looking about north belfast, some nice places about fortwillam. If you move to Stranmillis, malone etc you will have to commute through belfast every day. Cliftonville is right where you will be working but is a very nationalist/loyalist/peace walls and a bit of a dump in most parts, try to find a nice mixed area for less hassle. Anywhere on the antrim road past the fortwillam junction is a nice area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭dwayned

- What's the cheaper bank account? I would just need a card (visa/mastercard working online) and internet services, possibily an android app.

As somebody said, most banks dont charge for accounts, personally i have an Ulster bank account and it has a good app for android but as somebody else they are owned by RBS and had some tech problems recently.

- What's the best carrier for smartphones? I saw some interesting offers on 3 but in Italy it has a bad coverage, I wonder if it's the same up there?

You can't go wrong with O2, Vodafone as most networks are ok in the city, its when you venture out into the country that the signal can be an issue for the likes of 3.

- What are the neighborhood I should avoid when searching a room to share?
    +1 on Stranmillis, Ormeau Road or Lisburn Road, Google streetview can be handy here

- On the same subject, what are the best websites to search other than daft?
    Gumtree can be good, they have plenty of room listings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Seems the OP is moving to GAlway now instead...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057157065

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭bahamut88

Yeah, I decided to move to Galway, better job, better wage. Thanks to those who helped, I'm sure those informations would be useful to other internet surfers!

Advertisement