Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think?

Options
  • 06-02-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Ok, so I recently read an article on thejournal.ie http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/should-i-intervene-if-a-child-is-having-a-tantrum-1293226-Feb2014/
    I found it very interesting and I was wondering what people thought of strangers interacting with your child in general. For example you're out shopping, or running errands and people stop you so that they can coo and aww over your baby? Do you have no problem with it? Does it annoy you slightly but you go on about your day? Or does it irritate you? Do you think I am running around trying to get things done, I have not got the time to stop and chat to every person who wants to coo over MY baby or do you stop and have a full blown discussion.
    I recently got stopped by a woman who asked the age of my baby, her name, how she was sleeping, was she good? (quite a lot of personal questions) I nodded and politely answered the questions. She then proceeded to take my babys hand and play round and round the garden with my child. I found it an odd experience as I would not do this to someone elses child... Maybe that's just me. Id love to know what other people think of these situations...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I have found that, with a newborn baby, if I arrange to meet people, I actually have to factor in the time I'll be held up en route by people wanting to ooh and aah over the baby. :o It's ridiculous in a way, but I don't really mind it at all. It's lovely, people going out of their way to congratulate you and wish you well.

What I do hate is the occasional person who wants to touch the baby (stroke his cheek etc) ... their hands haven't been washed, I haven't a notion who they are or where they've been, the child has had no vaccinations yet and isn't old enough to have built up any sort of an immune system. I'm certainly not weird about germs, but it does absolutely kill me when strangers touch my baby. And they never ask permission (or I'd say no), they've already done it before I've had a chance to say anything.

Other than that, though, I've no problem with it, and am happy to chat away about him if they want to. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I adore kids and can not help but coo over them and never mind people doing it to mine . I never touch them unless the person actively engages with me and am comfortable with them .
    Some days I would be delighted for anyone to engage with me and that would be an older baby /toddler.
    I do not scold anyone else's kids unless they are at one of mine with out the parents intervening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I actually feel proud when people think my baby is worth talking to/about. I don't like the touching, as I don't know where they have been, but if I am waiting for a bus or doing some shopping, she catches their attention and smiles and coos so I really can't be offended by them when she is the one calling them over in the first place. There is a lot of horrible things in the world, if she brightens some old lady's day, then good.

But regarding that article, as I stated in the comments section, it is one thing to talk to me and my kids, but not to interfere in my son's tantrums. I got annoyed at a man one day that did it, but thankfully it was only once.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Some days I would be delighted for anyone to engage with me.

That's a very honest answer, thank you. But is that what it's more about... Reliving the time when your children were small, dreaming that one day you might have your own little bundle of joy or just simply wanting human interaction. These are 3 separate scenarios...
    I know despite people's reasoning they always mean well by their actions

Sorry moonbeam has edited since posting so my comment no longer makes sense.

The scolding someone else's kids I personally just could not understand. However yes if their actions are going to have a negative effect on my own child. That I understand moonbeam.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

On my phone I some times hit post or a child helps !
    I thought once I had kids I would generally coo over them less but no , my lot are just gone 5,3,1
    And another due soon and I still love kids .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

There's something about a newborn that makes me almost ache to coo over them. I wouldn't touch them though - I usually just smile at the parent and if they smile back, I'll make a comment about how cute/tiny etc their baby is.

If I see someone with an older child having a tantrum, I'll give them a smile or nod of understanding. At least I hope that's how it comes across...

I love it when my little one get attention. I'm biased because I think she's the most beautiful toddler in the world, so I like it when other people seem to agree :)

Advertisement