Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman - Arkham Knight

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

But there’s just so much open world faff to shift through that it robs the games of momentum and focus.

At least they weren't as bad as Spider-Man. The amount of busywork they put in that game was horrendous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s definitely a lot of junk bolted onto Spider-Man no doubt about that (it’s what holds it back from being anything more than ‘good fun’), but I think that game benefits from a sharp, pacy campaign. If you can avoid getting distracted by the busywork there’s a tight, well-crafted campaign you can see the end of fairly quickly.

Always felt to me like City and Knight really requires me to trudge through a lot of crap to get to the good stuff. Maybe part of that is me changing my approach a bit when it comes to playing games of this sort over the last couple of years - no longer as bothered with the side content in a lot of games, and honestly just don’t bother with many open world games at all. But while for sure Spider-Man and Arkham City / Knight all have no shortage of dull ‘content’, I’d quicker return to the former. Arkham Asylum the best of them all, of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Maybe im not far enough in but i seem to be able to select the missions i want to do?

Is there a point where i will be forced to collect all the riddler trophies?

I do find it strange people complain about collectibles when they are optional. I would agree in general collectibles are rarely a good gaming experience except for completionists but if they are optional thats all good by me as i just dont bother with them. Not sure im far enough in though to see how they end up in this game.

What im finding in knight is that while the open world is there im more traversing it to go from set piece to set piece,while you could argue that whats the point in the open world then,i dont think its too intrusive. Getting from one end of the map to the other doesnt take long either.

Also i love the visuals in the game,to me its what gotham should look like. So being able to perch atop a tall building just taking in the artwork is great too. Kinda adds to the "Im the Batman" feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is there a point where i will be forced to collect all the riddler trophies?

Nope.
    EoinHef wrote: »
    Also i love the visuals in the game,to me its what gotham should look like. So being able to perch atop a tall building just taking in the artwork is great too. Kinda adds to the "Im the Batman" feeling.

Agreed. I think this is why the side missions and collecting don't bother me so much in the Batman games. The lore and world is so well fleshed out that I don't mind spending the time there. I got every riddler trophy and enjoyed every minute of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe it'll be revealed on State of Play tomorrow

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The thing about Knight is that it didn't feel like a Batman game really. It should have been fantastic, the Batmobile being added should have been fun, but instead we got a really lame "tanks" addition that just felt completely at odds with the rest of the game. It was easily the worst part of the game for me and I think the series is great.

Also: The game was so badly broken on PC that they said "yea, it's too broken and we're not fixing it, here's a refund if you'd like" and that was that. I don't know what plane of existence anyone thinks that's an acceptable answer for selling software they knew was broken and substandard. To say nothing of the fact that you could only get a refund on Steam, not on any of the other (legit) 3rd party sites that sold it (I got my key from Greenman for example). But shoddy consumer practice is par for the course with Warner - see also: Shadow of War.

I sure as sht won't be buying the next game until maybe I can get it with all the content and at half-price in a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

They must have fixed it at some point. The game is running rock solid 60fps for me at 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Shiminay wrote: »
    The thing about Knight is that it didn't feel like a Batman game really. It should have been fantastic, the Batmobile being added should have been fun, but instead we got a really lame "tanks" addition that just felt completely at odds with the rest of the game. It was easily the worst part of the game for me and I think the series is great.

Also: The game was so badly broken on PC that they said "yea, it's too broken and we're not fixing it, here's a refund if you'd like" and that was that. I don't know what plane of existence anyone thinks that's an acceptable answer for selling software they knew was broken and substandard. To say nothing of the fact that you could only get a refund on Steam, not on any of the other (legit) 3rd party sites that sold it (I got my key from Greenman for example). But shoddy consumer practice is par for the course with Warner - see also: Shadow of War.

I sure as sht won't be buying the next game until maybe I can get it with all the content and at half-price in a sale.

The PC version was fixed years ago.

• Advertisement

Completely forgot wb Montreal games only developed origins. Thinking that rocksteady might not be doing a batman game next, I'm all in for a court of owls batman game by the Origins devs!

If this gets announced at State of Play tomorrow night, that would be class.

https://twitter.com/WBGamesMTL/status/1176182754712727554?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Story wise, and game play wise, I actually loved Knight. The massive let down was the reliance on the stupid car to do the "puzzles" for the Riddler.

Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but it's astonishing just how many race tracks the Riddler was able to make in the surprisingly large sewers of Gotham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Story wise, and game play wise, I actually loved Knight. The massive let down was the reliance on the stupid car to do the "puzzles" for the Riddler.

Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but it's astonishing just how many race tracks the Riddler was able to make in the surprisingly large sewers of Gotham.

I could forgive the suspension of disbelief as long as the sections where fun or added something to the story.

It honestly feels like they were rushed on this game and as a result they repeat a lot of sections or some are just poorly implemented. Some are just plain old filler.

A little more development time to add some more depth and it could have been something really special.

I'll never understand why people like Origins so much. It was the most forgettable of them all IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Rob2D wrote: »
    I'll never understand why people like Origins so much. It was the most forgettable of them all IMO.

That's your opinion, Knight and City was more forgettable for me. Strange was boring as **** and they ruined Scarecrow in Knight but Origins had less common villians and an early Joker so more memorable for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Rob2D wrote: »

Asylum is probably the best all-round game, though I enjoyed playing/replaying City a lot more. Knight was good but the Batmobile knocks it down a few marks and far too much busywork. Origins had a lot of good elements, but it was ruined by extremely poor performance on console (and from what I remember the PC version was abysmal), poor story and the Electric gloves made every fight far too easy. I enjoyed playing it as a whole, but it'd still be bottom of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

1.1.1 Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
    1.1.2 Batman: Arkham City (2011)
    1.1.3 Batman: Arkham Origins (2013)
    1.1.4 Batman: Arkham Knight (2015)

For anyone else confused about the releases (like myself)

Asylum the best for me but others improved on aspects of it but never made a completely better version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

dreamers75 wrote: »
    1.1.1 Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
    1.1.2 Batman: Arkham City (2011)
    1.1.3 Batman: Arkham Origins (2013)
    1.1.4 Batman: Arkham Knight (2015)

For anyone else confused about the releases (like myself)

Asylum the best for me but others improved on aspects of it but never made a completely better version of it.

I'm with you on this, but at this stage it's been so long I'd be delighted with anything. Even a weaker Origins game would be better than half of the rubbish I have shelled out for.

Court of Owls tease is great news too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Haven't completed the very final final option in the game, have the firefighter story line about to be finished and ****ed if I'm going to collect all of the riddler trophies!!

Haven't completed the very final final option in the game, have the firefighter story line about to be finished and ****ed if I'm going to collect all of the riddler trophies!!

Yupp, ****ing ridiculous to hide the actual ending of the game behind 100% completion. Just watch it on YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

Anyone get the season pass for this, is it worth a go at €20?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone get the season pass for this, is it worth a go at €20?

Don't buy it for €20, it's often reduced to €7 if you are on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Started this game for the first time ever not sure what to make of it as I'm only at the beginning. Seems alright so far though. A lot of batmobile stuff so far which isn't too bad. Not really into trying to take down the tanks/armoured vehicles.

Advertisement