Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unpaid direct debit, being fined twice!!

Options
  • 06-02-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I recently had an unpaid direct debit in my account with aib and as I expected I was fined 10euro for not having the funds in my account.
    The money was to be paid to NOVA NETWORK'S my internet provider. Nova are now informing me that they were also fined by aib to the tune of 10.89euro.
    A bit surprised with this I rang aib to verify this and they told me that it was just me that gets fined!!
    I then rang Nova who reiterated that they were fined by aib.
    So I ask has anyone had a similar experience with Nova or any other company? Or can anyone shed any light on this issue. I have now been cut off as I refused to pay Nova the 10.89euro!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Fine is a bit harsh of a term to use. There is a fee involved and the retailer faces a charge for a returned DD. So, it could well be plausible that your bank charges you and their bank charges them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Chazzy

Fine is a bit harsh of a term to use. There is a fee involved and the retailer faces a charge for a returned DD. So, it could well be plausible that your bank charges you and their bank charges them.

Thanks for the reply.
    I suppose that makes a bit more sense, aib win all the way.
    Quite a large fee or fine or whatever for the computer to say no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Chazzy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I suppose that makes a bit more sense, aib win all the way.
    Quite a large fee or fine or whatever for the computer to say no!

In fairness the supplier could be with another bank so AIB are not getting both fees. Also they did have to bounce the payment back from them and into your account because you had insufficient funds. There were multiple transactions involved in this process in your bank and that of the supplier. Don't blame the computer for what was ultimately your error causing additional transactions in two banks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Chazzy

In fairness the supplier could be with another bank so AIB are not getting both fees. Also they did have to bounce the payment back from them and into your account because you had insufficient funds. There were multiple transactions involved in this process in your bank and that of the supplier. Don't blame the computer for what was ultimately your error causing additional transactions in two banks?
    Yes it was error, but how many transactions can a computer perform in a second? No human interaction required, its an expensive charge even tho its 2.70euro less than ulster bank!!
    End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

It was all your fault. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Both Esb and upc charge a well as the bank for failed dd. Upc charge 12 euro, esb about 10.

Advertisement