Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checklist on a 2stroke...

• 06-02-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭

So..thinking of investing, (for the want of abetter phrase) in a new to me 30hp 2 stroke, what main points should I look out for, without being too intrusive in an inspection. Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Compression test on each cylinder if they are within 10-15% your good also check the gear oil for signs of water it will be white and milky with a bad smell or if it's been sitting for a while the water will come out first. Have it started up in a tank or on muffs and look for good water flow from the pee hole, even if it's good you should still change the impeller if you buy the engine as you may not know when it was last changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Guest0000

Thanks for the quick reply fergal, what would the expected compression be on a 30 hp outboard...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Guest0000 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply fergal, what would the expected compression be on a 30 hp outboard...

About 100+ psi

These decals should give you a rough idea to the year of the engine just incase they try and sell you a 80's as a 2000 :D if you get the engine number I should be able to give you the exact year.

mercdecal-1_zps9db39735.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

Hi Fergal,

When using the muffs is it possible that the water pressure from the hose could give a false reading as to the condition of the pump?
    I have noticed brefore that once you turn on the tap the water flows from the telltale even before the engine is started.

• Advertisement

connel42 wrote: »
    Hi Fergal,

When using the muffs is it possible that the water pressure from the hose could give a false reading as to the condition of the pump?
    I have noticed brefore that once you turn on the tap the water flows from the telltale even before the engine is started.

It would be more likely to come out the exhaust ports or the sides of the muffs than push it through the pump around the engine and water jacket then out the pee hole, you might get a little trickle but nothing like when the engine is running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

If you are able to, find out if the engine was used in sea-water or freshwater. Makes one hell of a difference. For 20 yrs or so I've had a 3.3hp Merc for my Avon tender (seawater use) and it died - very poor compression, took off the head, water galleries eroded, everything else looked OK, bought a secondhand head on ebay, torqued it down and the cyl block cracked. Even though I always flush out in fresh after use, that still happened. Engine looks perfect on the outside. I'm not sure that I'd buy a secondhand 2 stroke anymore, too risky.

Advertisement