Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Z2 Training

Options
  • 06-02-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I had lactate testing done last summer and my zones (126 - 136 for Zone2) were given to me at the time. I started to do a lot of Z2 cycling back then and it seemed to really stand to me and had a strong end to the season.

Got injured in the Autumn and only getting back into training again now.

Given I've lost some fitness will:

a) My Zone2 heart rates now be different.. IE lower

b) My zones still be the same(126 - 136), but I'll just have to cycle slower in the same zones to keep my heart rate with the zone.

Zone 2 cycles are supposed to be long 3hrs+ I was advised.
    I dont have time to go over 3 hours on any give day.
    But I can do 2 hours everyday instead. Is that enough to get the benefit from Z2 cycling or is it just to short.

Many Thanks,
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

b more accurate

you need 1 long ride at 3h plus at least every 2ndweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Thank you Peter, I'll make time for a longer Z2 at the weekend then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Briando wrote: »
    I had lactate testing done last summer and my zones (126 - 136 for Zone2) were given to me at the time. I started to do a lot of Z2 cycling back then and it seemed to really stand to me and had a strong end to the season.

Got injured in the Autumn and only getting back into training again now.

Given I've lost some fitness will:

a) My Zone2 heart rates now be different.. IE lower

b) My zones still be the same(126 - 136), but I'll just have to cycle slower in the same zones to keep my heart rate with the zone.

Zone 2 cycles are supposed to be long 3hrs+ I was advised.
    I dont have time to go over 3 hours on any give day.
    But I can do 2 hours everyday instead. Is that enough to get the benefit from Z2 cycling or is it just to short.

Many Thanks,
    B

(c) If you are only getting back into training HR as a metric is useless. Ignore and ride to RPE until you have some base fitness.

Advertisement