Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] Ballinrobe Duathlon, Sat 8th Feb

Options
  • 06-02-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭

Anybody doing this by any chance? Another westies? I did it years ago but there is a much different bike course now thankfully. The town really seems to get behind the event and I'm looking forward to it. They are expecting very big numbers.

Sure if no one else here is doing it at least I'll have a place for my race report :) (miss that about not having the training log)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Anybody doing this by any chance? Another westies? I did it years ago but there is a much different bike course now thankfully. The town really seems to get behind the event and I'm looking forward to it. They are expecting very big numbers.

Sure if no one else here is doing it at least I'll have a place for my race report :) (miss that about not having the training log)

Is this the first outing for New machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Is this the first outing for New machine?

Yip...it sure is :cool: Weather warning in place again, hope it ain't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice event to start the season. The runs are shorts and the bike course is flat and fast.

Best of luck. Looking forward to eharing how it goes for you El D. Give it socks! :cool:

Conditions were far from ideal on my first multisport outing of 2014. I HATED the thoughts of my new steed getting dirty/wet :p

Run 1 - 3.37km

It is a dangerous/exciting start to this race. We started on a steep enough downhill and with the wet roads combined with some very eager competitors it had all the makings of a desaster waiting to happen. It reminded me of this

Anyway, I got in a good bike WU and a decent run WU and stretches so I was well prepared. I did not get carried away with the crazy pace at the start, I just kept it controled - you always run a bit faster in the first km anyway. 1st km was 3:23, 2nd 3:42, 3rd was 3:37 and 4:10 pace for the very slippy and technical last 300m. I was 11th individual going onto the bike.

Time 12:16; Pace 3:38/km; Dist 3.37km;
    (No HR details as I forgot monitor)

Bike - 17.13km

My first time on my new steed (not including turbo) and it felt great...with the wind at my back :) Doesn't it always! It seems very responsive and it quick getting up to speed. The Ulgetra Di2 shifting was re-assuring. I reeled in a few and then got in a yo-yoing contest with D Mulligan from Longford, using each other for pacing. Re passing was difficult though at times as the middle of the road was grass/gravel. The conditions too were pretty awful. I was very surprised at the distance that was opened up between me and the top 4 or so, I have a lot of work to do yet. The bike sessions that I am doing are quality but I need more long bikes (and runs indeed) I think the LER and long bikes will really complement my other sessions and will bring me on. There were 2/3 TT'ers there for the relay, I was 7th individual.

1st 6k: AP 276; NP 281; Cad 96; Speed 42.1;
    2nd 6k: AP 281; NP 280; Cad 97; Speed 38.6;
    3rd 6k: AP 260; NP 275; Cad 98; Speed 33.4;

Time 27:08; Dist 17.13km; AP 272; NP 278; Cad 98; Speed 38; VI 1.03; IF 0.973 (97.3%);

The aim was to hold 271 or 90% of my FTP, I held 272 but maybe I went too hard because I believe NP is a better indication of the work/effort put in and that was 278w or 97.3%. I ended up having cramping issues in my right hamstring on the second run.

Run - 3.71km

More or less the same as R1 but with some even more technical bits at the start. The last 300m were the same as on the first run except much more dangerous now as it was really slippy AND you had to meet runners head on - on very narrow bits, one little slip or nudge and you were in the river Robe. Don't see why the second run wasn't the same as the first and that would avoid the head to head situations. Anyway I tried to hang onto the guy I was 'yoyoing' but I had a problem with the hamstring and had to manage that. I noticed I had Gary Higgins, good runner, coming after me and he closed to within 10m or so after 2km. Then the hamstring seemed to loosen up and I had plenty in the tank for a good finish - even on the technical, slippy and dangerous section. I was glad to hold him off and hold onto 7th place.

Dist 3.71km; Pace 3:56/km

So all in all a good first outing and an eye opener. Good to know where I stand right now. There are some very fast young Mayo lads there from Westport and Ballina and I've my work cut out to close the gap, as does John Greaney and Ruairdhri Geraghty, 3rd and 4th respectively.

Well done to all involved - not many towns that would allow transition in the town square on a Sat morning. Everything was ran smoothly and there was great support and atmosphere. As I said above, for safety reasons I would change the start of that second run and maybe get some gravel/stones down where the mud was but apart from that - top marks and thanks for the grub after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Nice report, nice figures too.

So 278w np, and your ftp is 286 so 97% as you say.
    That seems in line to me so well paced.

Allegedly 95-105% for a sprint but for a first outing on your new beast in poor conditions I'd be taking 97% happily!

Sounds like there will be lots of new fish out there this year in the NS. And the duathlons too of course!

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    Nice report, nice figures too.

So 278w np, and your ftp is 286 so 97% as you say.
    That seems in line to me so well paced.

Allegedly 95-105% for a sprint but for a first outing on your new beast in poor conditions I'd be taking 97% happily!

Sounds like there will be lots of new fish out there this year in the NS. And the duathlons too of course!

Yip, I am happy alright. I just need to tinker a little with the set up as cramping hamstrings would suggest I used them too much during the bike leg. Some strong young bucks on the Multisport science in Mayo alright! It might force me to move up the distances sooner than I thought! Won't panic yet though :)

Conditions were far from ideal on my first multisport outing of 2014. I HATED the thoughts of my new steed getting dirty/wet :p

Run 1 - 3.37km

It is a dangerous/exciting start to this race. We started on a steep enough downhill and with the wet roads combined with some very eager competitors it had all the makings of a desaster waiting to happen. It reminded me of this

Anyway, I got in a good bike WU and a decent run WU and stretches so I was well prepared. I did not get carried away with the crazy pace at the start, I just kept it controled - you always run a bit faster in the first km anyway. 1st km was 3:23, 2nd 3:42, 3rd was 3:37 and 4:10 pace for the very slippy and technical last 300m. I was 11th individual going onto the bike.

Time 12:16; Pace 3:38/km; Dist 3.37km;
    (No HR details as I forgot monitor)

Bike - 17.13km

My first time on my new steed (not including turbo) and it felt great...with the wind at my back :) Doesn't it always! It seems very responsive and it quick getting up to speed. The Ulgetra Di2 shifting was re-assuring. I reeled in a few and then got in a yo-yoing contest with D Mulligan from Longford, using each other for pacing. Re passing was difficult though at times as the middle of the road was grass/gravel. The conditions too were pretty awful. I was very surprised at the distance that was opened up between me and the top 4 or so, I have a lot of work to do yet. The bike sessions that I am doing are quality but I need more long bikes (and runs indeed) I think the LER and long bikes will really complement my other sessions and will bring me on. There were 2/3 TT'ers there for the relay, I was 7th individual.

1st 6k: AP 276; NP 281; Cad 96; Speed 42.1;
    2nd 6k: AP 281; NP 280; Cad 97; Speed 38.6;
    3rd 6k: AP 260; NP 275; Cad 98; Speed 33.4;

Time 27:08; Dist 17.13km; AP 272; NP 278; Cad 98; Speed 38; VI 1.03; IF 0.973 (97.3%);

The aim was to hold 271 or 90% of my FTP, I held 272 but maybe I went too hard because I believe NP is a better indication of the work/effort put in and that was 278w or 97.3%. I ended up having cramping issues in my right hamstring on the second run.

Run - 3.71km

More or less the same as R1 but with some even more technical bits at the start. The last 300m were the same as on the first run except much more dangerous now as it was really slippy AND you had to meet runners head on - on very narrow bits, one little slip or nudge and you were in the river Robe. Don't see why the second run wasn't the same as the first and that would avoid the head to head situations. Anyway I tried to hang onto the guy I was 'yoyoing' but I had a problem with the hamstring and had to manage that. I noticed I had Gary Higgins, good runner, coming after me and he closed to within 10m or so after 2km. Then the hamstring seemed to loosen up and I had plenty in the tank for a good finish - even on the technical, slippy and dangerous section. I was glad to hold him off and hold onto 7th place.

Dist 3.71km; Pace 3:56/km

So all in all a good first outing and an eye opener. Good to know where I stand right now. There are some very fast young Mayo lads there from Westport and Ballina and I've my work cut out to close the gap, as does John Greaney and Ruairdhri Geraghty, 3rd and 4th respectively.

Well done to all involved - not many towns that would allow transition in the town square on a Sat morning. Everything was ran smoothly and there was great support and atmosphere. As I said above, for safety reasons I would change the start of that second run and maybe get some gravel/stones down where the mud was but apart from that - top marks and thanks for the grub after!

Got to see your new machine close up [u passed me towards End of bike leg]. She looked and sounded class

Got to see your new machine close up [u passed me towards End of bike leg]. She looked and sounded class

Cheers dude and it was nice to meet you after. Meant to have a proper chat but it was so cold and a cool down and then shower was needed. Were you happy with your race? Where did you finish?

Back in 10th. Haven't done as much bike work as needed but took 5 mins off last years finish time so once i'm seeing improvements i happy enough. Will be interesting to see how the likes of young Aichlinn O'Reilly does in the NS duathlon's.

Back in 10th. Haven't done as much bike work as needed but took 5 mins off last years finish time so once i'm seeing improvements i happy enough. Will be interesting to see how the likes of young Aichlinn O'Reilly does in the NS duathlon's.

Well done. If he decides to target them he will do very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Donnelly must be flying to land in ahead of some of those boys from Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Green&Red wrote: »
    Donnelly must be flying to land in ahead of some of those boys from Galway

He was whipping them last year too till he got injured, O Reilly will do even better in triathlons, hes a super swimmer.

I don't know if anyone is good enough to get anywhere near O Donovan, if that lad learns to swim there will be trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So, Ultegra Di2? You like? That's the one I am looking at. Any cons?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, Ultegra Di2? You like? That's the one I am looking at. Any cons?

Hi DD, I love the Ultegra so far and would have no reason not to recommend it. Talking to guys in the know they reckon you'd be mad to go for the Dua Ace because the Ultegra does the job really well and for half the price. If getting it for a TT bike make sure you get the TT junction box and not the road one.

Hi DD, I love the Ultegra so far and would have no reason not to recommend it. Talking to guys in the know they reckon you'd be mad to go for the Dua Ace because the Ultegra does the job really well and for half the price. If getting it for a TT bike make sure you get the TT junction box and not the road one.

Di2 is an absolute luxury but absolutely class at the same time.

No shift issues ever and I love the brake shifters.
    Actually el d have you these on the p5 or happy with magura brakes instead? Is there a solution for both yet?

Reminds me, must set a reminder to charge battery in another month or so.

Charging twice a year at most and takes one hour to full then lasts 6+ months. And I do a lot of training on my tt bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

My bike shop and a friend BOTH told me to go with the Ultegra and not the Dura Ace for the exact reasons you state. And, yes, for a TT bike...and if you are talking about the Aero package, I am going for the full package for triathlon racing, not the UCI legal package. Interesting, with the tri package the bike won't be legal for road races....and we actually have a nice little race here in my town that draws some pros that would be fun to do, but I guess that's out.

Di2 is an absolute luxury but absolutely class at the same time.

No shift issues ever and I love the brake shifters.
    Actually el d have you these on the p5 or happy with magura brakes instead? Is there a solution for both yet?

Reminds me, must set a reminder to charge battery in another month or so.

Charging twice a year at most and takes one hour to full then lasts 6+ months. And I do a lot of training on my tt bike.

Brake shifters on the brake levers? No, I didn't go for them but the option is always there to upgrade. Not sure what you mean re a solution for both? The brakes btw the way are seriously good. The big plus for me with the electronic gearing and hydraulic brakes is the near zero maintenance.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    My bike shop and a friend BOTH told me to go with the Ultegra and not the Dura Ace for the exact reasons you state. And, yes, for a TT bike...and if you are talking about the Aero package, I am going for the full package for triathlon racing, not the UCI legal package. Interesting, with the tri package the bike won't be legal for road races....and we actually have a nice little race here in my town that draws some pros that would be fun to do, but I guess that's out.

DD if I were you I'd just ask, be straight up with them and say all you want is your time. You may not be allowed prizes but they'll allow you toe the line I'm sure. Actually I found out something interesting the other day, the Leinster (regional) TT champs here are not UCI restricted so any tri specific bike can enter. The nationals however are UCI bound but that wouldn't bother me!

Brake shifters on the brake levers? No, I didn't go for them but the option is always there to upgrade. Not sure what you mean re a solution for both? The brakes btw the way are seriously good. The big plus for me with the electronic gearing and hydraulic brakes is the near zero maintenance.

Funny but I see the brake shifters as one of the more useful features of the Di2.

My comment was regarding the Magura brakes - I'm not sure you have an option to get the brake shifters with the MAgura brakes as they are a different unit.
    The Shimano Di2 brake levers are different.
    I do know there are standalone buttons that could be retrofitted to them I imagine and fit the same purpose of Di2 on the magura brake levers.

Funny but I see the brake shifters as one of the more useful features of the Di2.

My comment was regarding the Magura brakes - I'm not sure you have an option to get the brake shifters with the MAgura brakes as they are a different unit.
    The Shimano Di2 brake levers are different.
    I do know there are standalone buttons that could be retrofitted to them I imagine and fit the same purpose of Di2 on the magura brake levers.

Yeah the brake lever buttons was an option but I thought there was no value in it tbh! Maybe some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Yeah the brake lever buttons was an option but I thought there was no value in it tbh! Maybe some day.

to be honest i think thats really to only thing that would sell me to electronic shifting. Reminds me I have a used electronic dura ace group set for sell. I should bring on the market.

Advertisement