Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in keeping ducks

• 06-02-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi I'm looking to get duckling as pets I've a big back garden and a pond in it
    But we're can I buy or get duckling
    Can nay one help please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

Try farm fowl in laragh, wicklow,
    or old mac donald in carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

make sure to do your research before buying! There are so many breeds that you need to get ducks that are suitable for your space and needs. You need to ensure you dont get too many drakes. Do you want eggs? They need different feed to hens.Have you got fencing sorted - and considered foxes? Think about the area around your pond too - Ducks puddle, and it can get very messy/muddy.
    where are you based - Larchhill Gardens in Kilcock/Co Kildare have a big poultry fair/sale coming up larchhill.ie . Check out irishfowl.com and irish-poultry.com, they have lists of breeders on there.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

watch out for mink :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Agreed that you need to do plenty of research before you launch into this. I did a one day chicken keeping course before we got hens. It was actually great, not just for giving me all the practical information I needed, but the lady was happy to be contacted via phone or email with any future questions.

Perhaps look into something similar relating to ducks.

At a quick glance, a short poultry course offered here covers ducks.

http://www.smallholding.ie/courses.html

Advertisement