Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed Flowers

• 06-02-2014 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi Gardeners, I need help to identify a load of bulbs and corms. I dug them up from an overgrown part of the garden in our new house last year. The previous owner had let everything grow wild. I put the bulbs etc in pots and left them in the shed. Whenever I was in the shed I gave them a little water and lo and behold this one flowered.
    I will start with this one and if anyone can identify it I would be very grateful. Hope my photo comes through as this is my first try.
    Oh I seem to have added it as an attachment.
    Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Looks like muscari.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,843 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, muscari it is. also known as grape hyacinth.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Dalcassian

Hi, Thanks to Tampopo and Magicbastarder for the identification. I have Googled (Is that a verb?) it and see bright blue colours. Should I add some element in the pot to enhance the blue?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, take them out of the shed! If you have plenty of room for them, put them in the garden and let them get on with it, they spread rather enthusiastically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Hi, Thanks to Tampopo and Magicbastarder for the identification. I have Googled (Is that a verb?) it and see bright blue colours. Should I add some element in the pot to enhance the blue?
    Cheers

Having it in the shed could be what's muting the blue if it's not getting enough daylight. Muscari grow in all shades from bright blue to white, so it's also possible that yours is a type with a softer blue flower.

• Advertisement

Hello Gardeners, Thank you all for that advice. It's going out tomorrow no matter what the weather!

Now, my photo of flower bulb number two is attached. I brought it into the house about lunch time today and the four 9 inch long leaves were standing up together. When I went to take the photo about 7:30 pm you can see how they seperated! Must be the heat in the house.
    Anyway, tell me what I have here. I also have a smaller pot with three more but they are only about 3 inches high. Overcrowding!

Look like daffodils to me.

Hi kylith, Thanks for the word on the daffodils. I went to Google again and asked for daffodil leaves and there they were.
    Anyone ever tell you "you're brilliant"?

Ah shucks. My knowledge is minuscule compared to most others on the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

looksee wrote: »
    No, take them out of the shed! If you have plenty of room for them, put them in the garden and let them get on with it, they are rather invasive.
    fixed that for you looksee;););)

• Advertisement

Sorry Bo! I think we are agreed they are muscari, anyway its a bit early for bluebells :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Word of warning to the op. I have Muscari in a bed in my front garden and have been trying, for the past five years, to get rid of them. They are like Montbretia in their habit and can propagate from bulblet or seed. Definitely one for pots IMO.

Hi Marhay70,
    Thanks for that info. There are also two patches of Montbretia growing in the part of the garden I havent got to yet. I suppose there is a lot more digging out bulbs in sture for me when the weather gets better. Snowed here in Drumcondra today! :( :mad:

Hi, During a break in the rain I photographed this new arrival in the garden. Anyone know what it's going to grow up to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Looks like Dicentra (Bleeding Heart), get the slug pellets out.

Hello. Been busy with the camera again and have some more plants I would like identified.
    Thanks in advance
    Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Hello. Been busy with the camera again and have some more plants I would like identified.
    Thanks in advance
    Joe
    First one looks like chaenomeles, and second one looks like hosta, not sure about the other two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Yes i think 1 is a Chaenomeles also.

2 is Tulip probably red riding hood.
    3 is Lesser Celandine (weed to some)
    4 looks like Aubretia Columnae

Agree with lurker about identification. Suggest you get out the celandine, it is very pretty but it will create a soggy mat in a flowerbed and will take over completely. It can grow very deep, weedkiller might be the best approach, but like montbretia you need to sieve out every tiny bulb if you dig it - digging it might spread it.

I was driving through country lanes yesterday and the celandine (along with the primroses and daffodils) were very pretty in the hedgerows.

• Advertisement

Thank you guys. Will be out there on my hands and knees with my spade, small trowel and small hand fork tomorrow attacking the Lesser Celandine although it is pretty. Glad it's not the Greater Celandine!
    As somebody famous said, "I'll be back."
    Joe

Advertisement