Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV3 Xposes Lisa Cannons becoming a Powerlifter. Is it the end Of Powerlifting?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

what the funk is up with them all wearing Gym gear on the tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

papu wrote: »
    what the funk is up with them all wearing Gym gear on the tv

Probably so they look the part, the should've gone the whole hog and had chalk all down their legs too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Realistically, this will pique the interest of about 100 women. 30 will join a gym, 10 will try PL and 3 will actually stick with it. Could be the most beneficial thing TV3 ever do. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Realistically, this will pique the interest of about 100 women. 30 will join a gym, 10 will try PL and 3 will actually stick with it. Could be the most beneficial thing TV3 ever do. :pac:

That's assuming 100 women even saw it... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/documentary-podcast-female-powerlifting-strength-club.html

Meanwhile RTE have this podcast about Clare Connolly from Sligo on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Like Totes amazeballs guys. Is this the start of powerlifting becoming trendy? I hope they're only doing it for the converse.

http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am_video.php?locID=1.65.74&video=75827

I have no idea who this lady is, but fair fcuks to her. Maybe some of the Mcgyms will start opening their minds a little.

The presenter is still fcuking clueless. "She'll be grand with the technique."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Great plug for Kinetica as well - 'Protein shakes are like gritty water.'

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Presenters in general are clowns- do no actual research and come across so clueless.

Emma Scott came across great.

As far 2nite, it's turned into a circus for people seeking fame and attention!

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/documentary-podcast-female-powerlifting-strength-club.html

Meanwhile RTE have this podcast about Clare Connolly from Sligo on their website.

Thanks for that. Really good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Thud

she's on late late tonight to talk about it...

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Really good!

I liked how it showed the pressure to reach weight and how far people will go to make weight on the scales.

Diuretics and laxatives :eek:

I liked how it showed the pressure to reach weight and how far people will go to make weight on the scales.

Diuretics and laxatives :eek:

It made Linh's WR all the more impressive when you consider how much getting down the weight must've taken out of her.

Definitely. Nice to hear the emotion of the event and how much it meant to her considering her situation.

Great doc.

I often find audio documentaries are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

That audio documentary was really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

It's great. Everyone needs to stop whinging that it's the wrong gym/lifter/trainer/federation/competition getting the publicity and just take it for what it is.

If it's just some passing interest that will disappear, so be it. If it's the beginning of powerlifting becoming the new triathlon i.e. 75% of all people who work in an office do it, never stop talking about it, arrive to and leave work decked out in paraphernalia related to it or maybe even the new MMA i.e. bros who don't do it wearing aggressive T-Shirts suggesting they do do it, then I'm fine with that too.

None of it changes the fact that I like doing it.

Just stop getting your multi-ply panties in a twist. That's so powerlifting.

kevpants wrote: »
    It's great. Everyone needs to stop whinging that it's the wrong gym/lifter/trainer/federation/competition getting the publicity and just take it for what it is.

If it's just some passing interest that will disappear, so be it. If it's the beginning of powerlifting becoming the new triathlon i.e. 75% of all people who work in an office do it, never stop talking about it, arrive to and leave work decked out in paraphernalia related to it or maybe even the new MMA i.e. bros who don't do it wearing aggressive T-Shirts suggesting they do do it, then I'm fine with that too.

None of it changes the fact that I like doing it.

Just stop getting your multi-ply panties in a twist. That's so powerlifting.

I assume this is aimed at me here?!

You're missing my point completely, I'm in fact not talking bout the actual powerlifting part.

I'm delighted powerlifting is getting publicity to any fed in this country.

The idfpa has done wonders to get so many more people involved. For instance there's over 250 lifters lifting this week.

Da Za wrote: »
    I assume this is aimed at me here?!

You're missing my point completely, I'm in fact not talking bout the actual powerlifting part.

I'm delighted powerlifting is getting publicity to any fed in this country.

The idfpa has done wonders to get so many more people involved. For instance there's over 250 lifters lifting this week.

Wha? No it wasn't aimed at you, there's people griping about it "going mainstream" etc. I agreed with your point of view on it.

Raw squatting makes you jumpy Daz I think it's time to suit up :D

EDIT: It was probably the multi-ply thing that made you think it was aimed at you. Reading it back it doe kindo of sound like I'm telling you to go f yourself. Tee hee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,303 ✭✭✭COH

Long story short... go f*ck yourself Daz

kevpants wrote: »
    Wha? No it wasn't aimed at you, there's people griping about it "going mainstream" etc. I agreed with your point of view on it.

Raw squatting makes you jumpy Daz I think it's time to suit up :D

EDIT: It was probably the multi-ply thing that made you think it was aimed at you. Reading it back it doe kindo of sound like I'm telling you to go f yourself. Tee hee.

Well I'm about to go squat, I'm antsy the day when I squat so.......LOL

Who's griping about powerlifting going "mainstream" (won't happen)?

Do they even compete themselves?

I get no support from family or anyone that doesn't lift so this could do something good for the perception that a lot of people may have of it.

But personally, I don't give a **** if peoples (to me) opinions change. I do what I'm passionate about and I will have no1 dictate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

When she says shes aiming to lift 110KG (Cian Healy/17Stone) I presume she's referring to deadlift? Is this not a bit optimistic for a beginner in 8 weeks? (Im presuming shes around 60kg)

• Advertisement

When she says shes aiming to lift 110KG (Cian Healy/17Stone) I presume she's referring to deadlift? Is this not a bit optimistic for a beginner in 8 weeks? (Im presuming shes around 60kg)

I don't think she's that much of a beginner. Probably been squatting and deadlifting a while with her PT. She certainly seemed to allude towards a 100kg squat in one interview but i might be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Why would increasing popularity of a sport lead to it's ending?

Any publicity is only a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Looks like some people on the Late Late Show talking about it now, they're definitely pushing it to be the latest fad this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Ahaha, Tubridy just got asked "Do you even lift"

In b4 Tubs hits the creo and proteinz and starts outlifting the Lilliebridges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I'd say she is a bit heavier than 60kg so could be realistic.

Thought he ****ed up the chance to show how it helped the first girl out of the hole of an eating disorder. But to make sure it was fluffy enough they cut to the story of Xpose girl's engagement, like anyone gives a fúck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    I'd say she is a bit heavier than 60kg so could be realistic.

Who says she's a beginner too?

Any reasonably athletic girl has a good
    Chance of pulling over 100k in her first 3-6 months of training once they weigh 60-70+ and have good coaching and programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Cheers for this-listening to it now, its really good!

That "do you even lift" bit and talk of gunz was pathetic and immature, tubs could even see that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Da Za wrote: »
    That "do you even lift" bit and talk of gunz was pathetic and immature, tubs could even see that!

Skin-crawlingly bad.

Thought there was more good than bad in it.

Thought he ****ed up the chance to show how it helped the first girl out of the hole of an eating disorder. But to make sure it was fluffy enough they cut to the story of Xpose girl's engagement, like anyone gives a fúck.

That's because Tubridy doesn't do his research as well as he should. Pat Kenny was terrible on the Late Late because light entertainment didn't suit him but by jesus did he do his research. Even look at Graham Norton, he asks questions that he already knows the answer to and makes sure he gets the answer he needs to keep the show on track. Tubridy literally hadn't a clue what all this was about, had he bothered he could have drawn out the answers he wanted instead he had to revert to "AAAAAAAAWWWW you got engaged!!! Omigodomigodomigod can we see the ring! Ooooooooooohhhhh!!!". Fair play to all three of them they were pretty much plonked on national television and asked to explain what powerlifting was to an audience who hadn't a clue. If the presenter had bothered his hole he could have helped them but he didn't so he couldn't.

I don't even think it needed research. A basic question drawing how it helped her would have sufficed.

But the sparkles took his attention I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

It made Linh's WR all the more impressive when you consider how much getting down the weight must've taken out of her.
    Where can I see how she got on? Did the record come about on saturday just gone or that happen a while ago?

Where can I see how she got on? Did the record come about on saturday just gone or that happen a while ago?

The WR was in Glasgow at the Worlds a few months back. Can't find results for the nationals at the weekend...can't see them on the IDFPA website or their Facebook page but they're more likely to be on the FB page first.

Did see a 75 year old pulled 205kg though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 linhlove2lift

The WR was 115.5kg squat at 55kg BW.You can watch it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmL7LwYq7Nk&feature=youtu.be

It hasnt been updated on website yet!

The results for the National Single lift 2014 is up on the website :)

Advertisement