Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to Door Insulation scammers

Options
  • 06-02-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys I need help. My parents got a guy who just came to our door one day to insulate the house. The guy wants cash in hand and he keeps rising the amount the job will cost my parents, and he insists on cash in hand. My parents are old fashioned and think this is ok. The work seems fine and they've finished most of it now but I'm not sure if it should be as costly as it is. My parents still haven't paid them anything but they will and they think they are getting a 'deal'. I feel like they are getting ripped off, especially because after reading into it I read you can get insulation grants if you do it through a legit company. Anyway I am not going to name any names here but if anyone has any information on scammers fitting this description in the Cork area please PM me. They have some jackets with a 'company name' on it and they also drive a truck with the name of a completely different company on it, which is to do with pavings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

i have friends who work in insuation and they wont get paid in some jobs until there is a heat scan of the house done to make sure the work is up to scratch

there can be voids and hollows depending on the type used so i would at least get that done might be a way out if your not happy with price

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CorkDude

popsy09 wrote: »
    i have friends who work in insuation and they wont get paid in some jobs until there is a heat scan of the house done to make sure the work is up to scratch

there can be voids and hollows depending on the type used so i would at least get that done might be a way out if your not happy with price

Thanks for the tip, but by the time that's organised these guys will probably have been (over) paid by my parents and long gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

CorkDude wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, but by the time that's organised these guys will probably have been (over) paid by my parents and long gone...
    Did you step in and question them and the price ?
    As you stated also a grant is available so I would try refrain paying by cash If possible ,you have no way of tracing them if things go sour either

Just screams dodgy to me and I know if it was my parents I would definitely get involved and oversee the money part at least if I was not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

When I lived in cork there was a very dodgy crew going around doing brick paving - they started a job for a widow woman ( my landlady) and the price kept rising once they ripped out her old drive.

She was having a heated argument and called me in as she wanted a witness - one of them said sure we can have him shot! I took this as a fairly serious warning not to stick my nose in. They left with pockets of cash (they wouldn't take a cheque) and a very poor quality job was done.

Hope it's not the same crew -

popsy09 wrote: »
    Did you step in and question them and the price ?
    As you stated also a grant is available so I would try refrain paying by cash If possible ,you have no way of tracing them if things go sour either

Just screams dodgy to me and I know if it was my parents I would definitely get involved and oversee the money part at least if I was not happy

It's going to cost around 17k or so I think....it originally started as a 4k job for outside insulation only but he kept convincing my parents to do more and more work so they did all the inside insulation. It's an old house as well and it just sucks that my parents never even got a quote.

Also from what I read, you cannot get a grant after the work has started so I know we won't be getting that. Still though I just don't want them being over-charged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Pm me the name Id say I know them.

17k for insulation is mad money. Should be well under ten

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Pm me the name Id say I know them.

17k for insulation is mad money. Should be well under ten

Yes this is what I hear from every one. However maybe it would be this expensive without the grants, which is the route they will have to go any way as they cannot apply for them once the work begins. But this should be a lesson to any one with easily influenced parents. Never accept an offer from some guy who has come to your door asking to do a 'cash in hand' job that will cost thousands. It is common sense but sadly more old-fashioned people do not realise this. They clearly should have waited and got a quote, from a few different sources if you are in anyway a respectable consumer. Never rush into deals with strangers who are not legitimate business people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

CorkDude wrote: »
    Yes this is what I hear from every one. However maybe it would be this expensive without the grants, which is the route they will have to go any way as they cannot apply for them once the work begins. But this should be a lesson to any one with easily influenced parents. Never accept an offer from some guy who has come to your door asking to do a 'cash in hand' job that will cost thousands. It is common sense but sadly more old-fashioned people do not realise this. They clearly should have waited and got a quote, from a few different sources if you are in anyway a respectable consumer. Never rush into deals with strangers who are not legitimate business people.

! was quoted 71/2 for external insulation for a 3bed semi, taking grant into account, by a very reputable company. 17 sounds outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

17k cash in hand. More like a down payment on a house. Hopefully this will work out ok for you. Was approached by q guy a few months ago about doing this sort of work was a bit on the pushy side so sent him packing.

Advertisement