Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment law case and Solicitors fees

Options
  • 07-02-2014 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,
    long story short. The solicitor got us 5k from previous employer as redundancy money (via agreement, no court) and has won a small case worth 900 euros. There should have been another court hearing but because he has stretched the process too long, the law has changed and we do not have legal grounds for it anymore. Out of 5.900, he has payed out to me 3k at that time and kept the rest at the clients account. Now he says his fee , plus vat , plus stamp duty charges are over 3k and that there is no money left in clients account. He has mentioned that he has put in 4 hours of work. I am looking for your opinion, does this fee sound reasonable to you? How much has solicitor charged you? I think it is important to note that I never received a letter outlining his charges, he just kept saying i won't overcharge you, I will be very fair and reasonable. So here we go- very unreasonable and unfair charges in my opinion. There are plenty of details to add to the story, but I don't want to bore you. Does anyone has experience filing a complaint to Law Society?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

There is no way in hell he only put in 4 hours work.
    What little you've described would take far, far more time.

(Also, even a certain minister never dared charge that level of fees per hour).

Advertisement