Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interpretation of Assessment Regulations - question

Options
  • 07-02-2014 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

I've mailed DIT exams with the following question, but maybe someone here can clear it up quicker as they appear to be bombarded and slow to reply what with exam results coming out recently.

If you fail an assignment within a module in final year, and are re-assessed on that assignment but not on the written exam (which I got a decent 71 in), does the maximum mark of 40% for a repeat apply? Or is that only in the case of a repeated exam?

If it DOES apply, as I'm almost certain is the case, does it then apply to the module as a whole or only to the portion of the module (i.e. assignment) which was re-assessed?

The rules are vague here, as they only treat the module as a whole and make no reference to separation of the parts within it:
    Students who fail the assessment of one or more of the modules which contribute to their final award classification may resit the assessment once for each of those modules without prejudice to the award of Honours/Merit or Distinction.
    Students who fail the resit of any of these modules will not be eligible for the Honours /Merit or Distinction classification.

Advice appreciated, pending the official response! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

It does seem pretty vague alright, but if it says for each of those modules without prejudice to the award of Honours/Merit or Distinction you should be in the clear.

You'd probably be better off calling into a student's union office and asking someone there. :)

Advertisement