Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shots fired at Gardai during Ulster Bank ATM robbery Enniscorthy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Jeepers! That's mad stuff altogether.

I bet the Guards got a hell of a fright when some scumbag started taking pot shots at them.

Wasn't there a raid on AIB Slaney Place in the mid-late 80's? I remember hearing that some of the local Guards weren't too pleased to be given handguns and told to head for the bank.

Also, didn't McGlinchey(?) tie up 1-2 guards and they were taken to Brown's Wood and left in the boot of a car?

Hope they get these latest crazies - even if it was as much activity as Rafter St has seen in years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Some of Gerry's mates stopping off on the way to the Opera House to pick up funding for the local elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just round the corner from me - heard nothing - saw nothing. When the sun goes down Enniscorthy comes to life.....the Night of the Walking Dead. How many robberies in the town centre is that in recent years? Off the top of my head, The Internet Cafe on Castle Street,Vodafone, Stamps, the Jewellery Centre etc. some repeatedly - that's just robberies and not the epidemic of window smashing. At least O'Briens will make a few quid out of it as Rafter Street was crawling with Gardai this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 thebutlerdidit

blindsider wrote: »
    Wasn't there a raid on AIB Slaney Place in the mid-late 80's? I remember hearing that some of the local Guards weren't too pleased to be given handguns and told to head for the bank.

I was there when that Robbery took place on May 1st 1990, my older brother had collected me from primary school and we had just crossed the old bridge (before the one way sytem and new bridge were in place) heading into slaney place when a Detective came flying through in a marked garda car and pulled almost immediately in front of us and jumped out brandishing his weapon. Seconds later we saw a group of people running out to the Van parked outside the door of the bank and as it tried to take off the shooting started - didn't really see everything that happened next as I was hiding in the foot well of the car, peeping over the dash (I was about 11 or 12). Lots of shots fired, definitely automatic/semi automatic weapons used. The driver of the van was shot in the face (jaw i think), Armed group was lead by a woman, may have been featured in a TG4 documentary in recent times i think

Scariest/most exciting thing I have ever been that close too

There's a plaque commemorating the event in Enniscorthy Garda station and a wonderful display of police helmets from around the world. Pity the Gardai weren't armed last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pity the Gardai weren't armed last night.

Absolutely, and take those mother****ers down

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

kgrrj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well they seem to follow the money , and must know there is plenty of it in the Enniscorthy area.

It seems they drive down from Dublin and straight back up again , although this time took a detour towards New Ross .

It must have been really frightening what happened in Ballycarney last month , and now Enniscorthy :

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shocking-cctv-footage-captures-armed-robbers-terrifying-staff-with-hammer-iron-bar-and-gun-for-10000-29983583.html

It's an ill wind though and Killian Stafford got on the RTE news at lunchtime - he'll be running for the Dail next. :D

Advertisement