Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Trained Dog Recently Started peeing indoors.

• 07-02-2014 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

My dog, King Charles, Bichon Frise mix , who is 1 year 2 months old has recently started to urinate in my sitting room. He has been toilet trained and never had an accident in approx 9 months. It's in the same place all the time. At the back door. Specifically on the curtain.

He has done this now about 3 times last month until I caught him but then again he did it this morning. I opened the back door and he went out to the business, I went to the kitchen but I thought I could hear him come back in, thinking that it was very quick I went to the sitting room, only to see he had done it again.

It baffles me as to why he has just started doing this. The worst thing is, is the smell of his urine, its so strong, almost gives me a headache, and I am not exaggerating.

Does anyone have any idea why he has started to this. If you need any more info, please let me know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Id take him to the vet to be checked out and rule out any issues.

Also, is he neutered? Entire males urine is usually very strong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well for starters you need to remove the urine smell (and we're not talking to human noses but to dog noses) because once the smell is there it will simply start to be considered normal for him. To do this you need to use either a biological washing powder or enzyme based spray (you can find them in most well stocked pet shops) to break it down (normal washing will stop you from smelling it but nor your dog!).

Secondly vet for health issues as noted by Andreac because a dog don't start doing something like that because they want to be naughty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

He's not neutered.

I was thinking about the vet, that he might have some infection or control issue, but then with this mornings event, he went outside only to come back in and urinate at the door. Why did he come back in and chose that spot.

Thanks for the advice so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He's not neutered.

I was thinking about the vet, that he might have some infection or control issue, but then with this mornings event, he went outside only to come back in and urinate at the door. Why did he come back in and chose that spot.

Thanks for the advice so far.

What have you been cleaning the wee up with? If you don't use biological washing powder/a spray the dog is going to still smell the wee and go in the same spot again and again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

tk123 wrote: »
    What have you been cleaning the wee up with? If you don't use biological washing powder/a spray the dog is going to still smell the wee and go in the same spot again and again

Thanks for the advice. For the curtain, I took it down and washed it in the machine with some comfort and bold 2in1.

The floor I used Detol surface spray!

• Advertisement
Advertisement