Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

" Dubliners have more in common with the British than with fellow Irish "

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I would say that I can understand a little bit why you wouldn't want to go to a lot of the Irish pubs in San Francisco. When I lived there a few years back (quite briefly I'll admit) a lot of the Irish pubs were so overtly republican in terms of the drinkers and the decoration (NORAID supporting etc,) and anti-English and anti-protestant it was very unsettling and unwelcoming even to someone who was Irish.

The only other place I've seen Irish pubs that radical was in parts of Belfast.

Yeah I agree. That doesn't really explain why Dubs would be less likely to go to these places than other Irish though. Republicanism isn't an exclusively culchie phenomenon.

Some of it can definitely be attributed to class but even most of the working class Dubs I knew there, I knew from the English pubs not the Irish ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Dublin people (not all) like to sneer at their rural neighbours with terms like 'bogger' etc. and ridicule their sporting pursuits among other things.

Its interesting because the English used to similarly mock the Irish as a whole group many years ago.

re. the article, could the writer just as easily have inserted Traditional music for country music??

Do Dubs have any time for trad. Irish music? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

freddiek wrote: »
    Dublin people (not all) like to sneer at their rural neighbours with terms like 'bogger' etc. and ridicule their sporting pursuits among other things.

Its interesting because the English used to similarly mock the Irish as a whole group many years ago.

re. the article, could the writer just as easily have inserted Traditional music for country music??

Yes, there is no traditional music is Dublin just like there is no GAA in Dublin.

You talk of Dublin people sneering at their rural neighbours yet nearly all your posts seemed to be aimed at Dublin or Dubliners.

The large chip chip on your shoulders has turned into a massive obsession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

We've no time for gob****es, that will become apparent quickly enough if you ever come to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Dubliners.

Worst trad music band Ireland has ever produced.

Oh wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

So now we know you haven't left your parish to explore the big world yet ... learn what you know from the lads in the pub shouting over trad music and probably don't watch any tv except Britain's got talent ... It explains a lot about those idiotic, uninformed and uneducated prejudices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

My neighbourhood, a working class area in the middle of Dublin, had a trad festival last August. It was a great success and very well attended. They are organising another one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

Piliger wrote: »
    So now we know you haven't left your parish to explore the big world yet ... learn what you know from the lads in the pub shouting over trad music and probably don't watch any tv except Britain's got talent ... It explains a lot about those idiotic, uninformed and uneducated prejudices.

I mighn't be as sophisticated as you mr. "Dublin/London"

how can ye be in 2 locations at the same time?

i think you just proved the Journalist's point by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I think we're done here....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement